“Wonderful comfy affordable hub for business and fun!”

Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I've stayed at Days Inn - Midway several times in the past year and I just love it. The location is ideal for activities from downtown St. Paul to the University of Minnesota (UM). It also allows quick access to the entire Twin Cities area via highways. The staff is knowledgable and friendly, the rooms are clean and comfy, and the price is great. Discount rates include business, government, AARP, and the UM Veterinary Medical Center (internationally renown!). The neighborhood is diverse so it provides a variety of ethnic restaurants. And the hotel includes a fun sports-bar type of restaurant that delivers GOOD food to your room! In short, I've had many special times in the Cities while staying at Days Inn - Midway. It's part of my fond memories and a reliable friendly place to stay in the future.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Meskwaki

Reviewed January 22, 2009

It was late at night and we got stuck in Minneapolis unexpectantly due to weather and we stayed here because we were exhausted and tired of driving around to find something. The gal at the desk was very nice and helpful and the room was only $52.00. We asked for a nonsmoking room and was told that the top floor was entirely nonsmoking. The first room we went to reeked of smoke so we asked for another one. The second room smelled of smoke too but not quite as strong. It also smelled slightly like pee and there was a suspicious dark spot on the carpeting near the bed. The room itself was old and tired, but actually everything was fairly clean, and wouldnt have been so bad if it weren't for the smell. Maybe it wouldn't bother some people but I have a really keen sniffer, more so than most people. They had a breakfast which was fine. It was just like the usual cheap hotel breakfast. Anyway, it was cheap so we didn't have high expectations.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 14, 2008

I arrived in St. Paul from Chicago on Amtrak at 11 p.m. (on time). The Day's Inn website advertised "free shuttle", motel only "three blocks from Amtrak station". Furthermore, a large Days Inn sign in the Amtrak station advertised "free shuttle" to the motel.

This is misleading. The shuttle driver is never on duty at 11 p.m. If you call the motel they will call a Yellow Taxi to the Amtrak station and pick up the tab. I waited over an hour for that Yellow Cab, with three phone calls to the motel to inquire about it. There are only two trains a day through St. Paul. The motel shuttle driver is on duty for only one of those trains (the 7 a.m. departure to Chicago).

The front desk manager was friendly enough, and she could sense my frustration at having had to wait an hour. The room was clean and everything else was satisfactory. Forget the free shuttle offer if you're arriving from Chicago on Amtrak!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank railfanppk
DaysInnStPaul, Managing Partner at Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2009

We are happy to provide free shuttle service to the Amtrak Station. In the event we do not have a driver on duty, we will pay for a cab ride from the station. We use a number of local taxi services, not only Yellow Cab. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Reviewed September 5, 2008

I read the review below and thought I was really in for it! However, I was pleasantly surprised. It is easily accessible to I-94. Great for travelers. It is also located midway between Minneapolis and St.Paul, perfect for the tourist that wants to visit both cities. I wouldn't wander around the neighborhood at night, but it is great during the day. I am a single woman and felt safe riding the buses during the day. Although, I did live in San Francisco without a car for two years and am comfortable with public transportation. If you are driving you won't even notice the neighborhood isn't the best.

The beds are SUPER comfortable! Surprisingly, they were the most comfortable hotel beds I have stayed in and I have stayed at a lot of hotels! They provided three pillows per bed which was nice. The bathroom was updated and clean.

The room had a microwave and fridge, which was very helpful for me as I was able to keep drinks and snacks cold. Also, I could reheat food. The pool area and the hot tub were nice. I disagree with previous visitors that didn't enjoy the temperatures of the water. I didn't eat at the restaurant, but they had a full menu that was served all day.

A few blocks east on University at Snelling was a brand new plaza with a Super Target, Borders, grocery store, JoAnn Fabrics and other stores. The shopping area was convenient for picking up last minute supplies.

The staff was super friendly. I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to my friends. The hotel was fairly full with other nice guests.

All this said, it is not a 5-star hotel. It is a nice Days Inn. It is above average for what I expected and the price I paid. It is true what the review below said, the hallways are mugging and do have a slightly off oder.

But it is just from the mugginess and it is definitely not a deal breaker. If you want a first floor room, I am sure they can accommodate you, although the first floor rooms open onto the parking lot, not an interior hallway. I felt more secure as a single woman on the second floor with the keyed-entry security doors.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank scarletfires
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We booked our hotel room online through all-hotels.com. This hotel was ranked with 4 sunbursts. We were expecting a nice place to spend the night. Much to our surprise, once we entered the building it was muggy, hot, and had a terrible odor. Then we had all of our luggage we had to take to the second floor, and there was no elevator so we all had to clunk all of the wheeled suitcases up the stairs. Once on the second floor we could hear televisions blaring out in the hallway. The room itself was dirty. Upon entering and using the restroom, my husband found long black hair on the countertops and urine on the back of the toilet. There was also some cheetos looking residue on the door casings. As if things weren't bad enough already the biggie occured. We pulled back the bedspread and to our horror the blanket was covered with a crusty white substance and blood. It was on both side of the blanket as well as on the floor. This was not a stain but dried body fluids that were never washed. My husband and I about got sick and had to pack the kids back up and find another place to stay. We didn't even get into Minneapolis until midnight so this was quite an inconvience. I honestly wasn't expecting such a substandard room considering that it had 4 sunbursts. What a huge dissapointment!!!! When we called another hotel to book a room and told them where we were the man laughed and acted like he knew about the place. I did also notice that just down the street a block or two was an adult store. HMMMMM....what kind of hotel is this???? I just want to make sure everyone knows before booking that there is a possibilty of laying in someone elses "funk" if you stay here. On a positive note though, when we went to the desk and complained we were not charged for our room. Although we shouldn't have been as we were only there a short time. But the dark green carpet was covered with crusty white substance that wasn't toothpaste if you catch my drift. OOGAH BOOGAH!!!
Hope this helps someone else avoid the mistake we made.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank swindellfan
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Although I did not stay overnight at this hotel, I would like to report excellent help from a staff member named Holly. I checked in at Days Inn Midway in St. Paul on the evening of 7/21/08. It was the wrong Days Inn in St Paul. Holly called the Days Inn for me that I was supposed to be arriving at to tell them I was on my way, only to find out they had already given away my room. There was not another room to be had close by in the Twin Cities and it was getting late, but Holly found me a room.

I was impressed with her graciousness with helping a weary, upset and somewhat scared traveler such as myself who had traveled a long way only to find out her room had been given away. Holly kept her cool even when I was losing mine. Holly did not have to, but she ended up saving the night. I commend Holly in every way. There are not enough of you out there Holly. Keep up the great work.

Lisa B. from International Falls, MN

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2008

They were very willing to accommodating all of my needs. Chris the manager was GREAT! Thank you!

Stayed: April 2008
University / Dinkytown
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
#22 of 52 in Minneapolis

Been to Days Inn ST. Paul-Minneapolis-Midway? Share your experiences!