“Great place to work”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel is only a mile from my house but I needed quiet, isolation, a comfortable working space and options for short breaks, a pool, spa, etc. The staff and facility at the Best Western Bandana Square offered all of that. When I phoned in my reserveration they took the initiative to lower their on-line price. When I said I needed to concentrate on work they gave me a quiet room with free wireless. I needed work breaks? the pool, spa, sauna and work room were handy; and the room had microwave and fridge. I had a few questions at different hours of the day or night. The staff worked with me cheerfully. And a good-sized free breakfast was included.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Located very near Como Park, Hamline University, and the Minnesota State Fairgrounds this property is convenient to everything on the northern part of metro St. Paul. Staff was simply great, especially the lady who coordinates the generous free breakfast. Wonderful selection, clean, neat and fresh. Free parking. Compact fitness center. Free internet computer. Room are of good size. Indoor pool and jacuzzi. Decent restaurant and bar - Gabes- within 2 blocks. This hotel was a very pleasant find.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pagmeister
Reviewed January 19, 2011

This used to be a Holiday Inn Express but sold out to Best Western. I stayed there many times, but this is my first stay in the winter months. This is a converted railroad building. Very nice atmosphere. Tracks are still in the floor, and lobby ceilings are very high.

It was very cold. Temp outside was near zero. The entire area is on a central heating system. The room was very cold, and hard to get comfortable. By morning the room was hot, and just as uncomfortable. There is no heat control in the room.

Water pressure is terrible. I threw away a new razor because the pressure wouldn't rinse it.

Water tempurature is just as bad. You get scalding hot or fridgid cold. The shower and sink could not be adjusted to a comfortable temperature.

Breakfast is average. The usual bakery products and cereal, oatmeal, waffels, and hard boiled eggs.

A nice place in the summer months, but I will avoid it during cold weather.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JimDavisHouston
GMBandana, Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Let me start by thanking you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor! Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I am happy to say that even though we did not have our heating and cooling system working to meet your needs during your most recent visit, we are in the process of revamping our entire heating and cooling system so that each room. This has been a long process but by Mid February this will all be completed!

Again Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.

James M. Gray

Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night to get a break from visiting family and friends for the holidays. We chose this hotel because they allow dogs. The staff was very friendly (they were thoughtful enough to put us on the first floor so we could easily take our dog outside). The hotel is gorgeous and was a railway station at one time. It is off the beaten path and therefore was quiet and cozy. Continental breakfast was wonderful. Coffee available 24/7 along with a microwave to heat-up leftovers. Pool and sauna were also nice. Very comfortable bed. I feel we got more than our money's worth at this hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We were visiting family in St Paul and have a small dog. The pet fee is very reasonable. We found the staff greeted us every time we encountered them. Parking is free and plentiful which isn't always true in major cities. The atmosphere of the old train station was wonderful and the grounds were enjoyable for walking. We found the breakfast to be generous and delicious. The staff kept a close eye on the breakfast so nothing was empty. We had two beds and both were comfortable. The only complaint is that the walls are a little thin. We didn't have loud neighbors so it wasn't a problem. We will return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We were looking forward to spending the evening at this unique hotel (former train station) while in town visiting family. Upon arrival, the key cards did not work and needed to be exchanged just to get into our room. The type of room we reserved was not available, so they placed us into a suite. You'd think a suite would be much nicer than a room with two beds. It was not. First, we wanted a non-smoking room; the suite smelled of smoke. There was only one bed in the suite, so one person had to sleep on a pull-out sofa. No pillows were in the room for the pull-out. He did not sleep well during the night due to the bars felt through the matress. Neither TV had a working remote. One TV was difficult to turn on because the ON button was shoved into the TV set; you needed to put your finger inside the TV set to get to the plastic button. One of the sliding closet doors was missing. It was a total party room, and wear and tear was evident. When our disappointment was shared at check-out, the front desk clerk cited the cost of the suite we were placed in and that we only had to pay the amount for the 2-bed room we had reserved. We expected two beds, not an uncomfortable pull-out couch. Also, it's not like we brought a bunch of beverages for the wet bar and friends to actually make use out of the room. She was polite but clearly not interested in making right the disappointments in our visit. When reservations are made, the room you reserved should be available upon your arrival. If an upgrade is going to happen, make sure the room is equal or better than the one reserved. We will definitely think twice before spending a night at this hotel again, simply because our concerns were brushed off.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Travelor1996
salesbw, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the problems that you had during your most recent stay. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, good and bad, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service and our accommodations.

We have steps and procedures in place and even as unfortunate as the experience was we had the best of intentions of trying to provide the best customer services to you and your family. Please accept my apologies and know that we will rectify the issues that you mentioned.

Again On behalf of the hotel and the ownership please accept my apologies and I would love to talk to you more about what happened and see if there is anything else I can do for you. Please reach out to the hotel and ask for the General Manager and I look forward to speaking to you

James Gray

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Very badly managed. Incredibly poor service. They would not respond to my email's. Signed contracts were not honored and they lied about it all to me. There was also and incredible lack of communication between employees. We returned to the hotel after the wedding to find police chasing down drug dealers in the parking lot as I had to try and dodge my car around to keep them from running into me. Prostitutes working rooms. I would not have believed it if I would not have seen it with my own eyes. Staff who were not there at the time or could not be reached, told me it never happened.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the problems that you had during your most recent stay. I’m sorry your experience was not everything you had hoped for while staying at the Best Western Bandana Square. We pride ourselves on taking care of our guests and certainly hoped your stay would be a pleasant one. Based on the contract that we had for your event we did follow it to every detail. However the shuttle was not listed on the contract that we had, but to try and go above and beyond, we did have our driver and shuttle prepared and ready during the time frame you stated you needed it, and it was utilized by your guests.

In regards to the comments of police, drug dealers and prostitution, we spoke to the police department who stated that, our shuttle driver is the one who called the police as she saw some people down the street that appeared to be obstructing traffic.

Our clientele is largely based of corporate travelers and what you described is not the type of activities we have ever had. Once again, I’m truly sorry your experience with us was not a pleasurable one. We do try our best to assure every guest enjoys their stay with us.

Should you wish to talk to me more about it I would be more then happy to hear from you.

James Gray