“nice place”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed February 24, 2007

They allowed me to check in early, at noon instead of 3 pm. I asked for a non-smoking room & was told that the rooms usually booked on Hotwire are smoking but she did give me a non-smoking room since one was available. I got the attitude of since I booked on Hotwire at a discount rate, I should not make special requests, but they did accomodate my request.

The room was clean & the bed was a king & very comfy. The pool & fitness area is fine. I had a hard time figuring out how to turn up the heat in the room. I thought I was turning it up by adjusting the thermostat, but I was still cold. I finally discovered the control on the radiator was on low. Then it got warmer.

Overall it was a good experience & I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank DebFromMN

Reviewed January 17, 2007

This is a unique best western. I stayed here to go to a concert with a friend. The room was nice and had modern furniture and clean carpet. The bathrrom was updated but the floor needed some cleaning. There was mildew all along the baseboard in the bathroom and lots of dust in the corners.

The theme is pretty neat. It is an old train repair station that was converted into a motel. the rooms are all "prefab'ed" inside the building. There is a large comfortable breakfast area and pool area, but beware, dont go there barefoot because it's a concrete floor and somewhat dirty. There are old train tracks running on the floor, which adds to the history of the building.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and had a list of directions to major places in the twin cities area. The only other dislikes would be that the hallway carpet is worn and tired looking, and there is only one snack machine and that's on the upper floor on the opposite side of the building.

Aside from that, this place is definitely worth checking out if your in the Energy Park area of St. Paul

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank medic_guy
Reviewed November 9, 2006

This hotel was a wonderful surprise! We stayed in this hotel because of a veterinary conference downtown and all the hotels near the convention center were booked. The staff were very helpful and willing to deal with us - 15+ vet students. The breakfast was really good - much better than the normal continental breakfast. The beds were comfortable and everything was clean. They had a free shuttle to and from downtown, which was great. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank clucy24
Reviewed October 13, 2006

Have written another review in the past singing the praises of this small hotel in a renovated train workshop/station.

However, the quality has slipped and so has moral of the employees. Not as friendly and the rooms are not sound proofed. It is not a place to stay if you are a light sleeper. Sounds of footsteps above, moving furniture from the meeting rooms, and muffled talking. When I stayed in October, the heat was blasting at 85 degrees and could not turn off.

The comp breakfast was great and the hostess still friendly. Beware.....call your own taxi from the yellow pages. You will most likely not be taken advantage of by taxi drivers the front office staff calls. Someone who works at the hotel told me this after I had called my own taxi.

Will not be returning to this hotel with regret. It has changed from a Holiday Inn Express to a Best Western in the past month.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Rosemary M
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Value:
Good value for the money. Breakfast is very good and the lady who runs breakfast is incredibly passionate about her job. She makes sure that the continental breakfast is not just any ordinary breakfast. The highlight of our stay was definitely the breakfast. There was everything from fresh baked cinamon buns, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, waffles, toast, muffins, fruit, and more.

Location:
Only 5 minutes off I-94 so it is good if you want to be on your way fast in the morning, but there is nothing to walk to. There was a big festival getting set up when we were leaving. I don't know what it was but at 8am the parking was already filling up.

Our Sleep:
We were absolutely exhausted from a 12 hour trip from Chicago, and sadly we only slept about 5 hours without interuption. Just after 5am the doors were slamming all around us and shaking our room so bad that our dog was barking in fear.

Dog Friendly:
Very accomodating to our 60 pound dog, and a nominal charge of $10 was added to our bill for our pet. As mentioned above, there is not much to walk to for the dog, but the yards around the hotel have plenty of grass so it would be fine for a small pet or one that doesn't need much exercise.

Parking:
The parking lot is accross the street and we were a little nervous about our car there, but nothing happened. I don't think I would be too thrilled about parking a more expensive car there, but then again, if we could afford a more expensive car, we probably wouldn't have been staying at a $100/night room!!

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank RoadWarrior
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We stayed for 2-nights and had a king suite. The carpet, sheets, bathroom, table-tops were clean. The bed was comfortable. The room was simple- not fancy, a tad aged. The front-desk said the suite was larger and had 2 televisions - w/ a sofa-sleeper for our child (queen was booked). The room had 1 very small TV w/ limited stations; the bathroom was 'standard' - toilet was broken and instead of dealing w/ staff, my husband fixed the chain. The sofa sleeper had a big slope down (so your head was much lower than your feet) - which was fixed by propping it up w/ a couch pillow. The door had a sizable gap in the frame so each time a neighboring door was closed - ours would jiggle loudly. This was also buffered w/ couch pillows to block the light coming in, privacy, and mitigate the jostling. There was a fridge and microwave; didn't use the microwave but the fridge worked (seal needed to be cleaned). The room was large and allowed one to feel not cramped as you might in a standard room. Room Temp was pretty good -adjustable and not stuffy at all.

The staff needs training in some areas. They were nice but lacked information. Upon booking we were told a shuttle would pick us up at the train station and return us upon departure. During confirmation - learned that the shuttle does not operate on Friday evening/all weekend. Also emailed the GM w/ a question on how to travel to MoA - no reponse on the question. Asked front desk and they advised they did not know about local transit - call a cab. Cabbing would cost around 25$. Called transit and there is a bus that stops right outside the hotel. Was able to bus & transfer to local train for $1.50/adult. It would have been nice if they referred me to local transit phone number.

Asked for internet connection for laptop and was told on the first night that you didn't need anything; there is a 'beam at the hotel'. Asked the second day for one w/ a usb port; finally was able to get what was needed.

Breakfast area was very nice. Area was clean, well supplied: oatmeal variety, toast, bages, juice, milk, tea, coffee, cereal, muffin, fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt.

The pool area was okay - didn't use it but it looked fine.

The hotel exterior was really cool; it'd be nice if they could showcase the theme more inside. Unless you read the intro on train-theme or saw the exterior - you really wouldn't notice too much inside. There is beautiful ceiling beams in the lobby and a track running along the floor.

I would stay here again because it was alright. That would be if taking the train; if driving in, no. There isn't much in the area for resteraunts - good sports bar/grill down the block at Lexington - only choice in that area.

GM did offer me a reduced rate (wasn't a big deal as it is the same rate you can on-line from the chamber - via visitor's card) when asked for comp. because of booking shuttle information (had been looking for a hotel w/ shuttle). Front desk did comp room upgrade when asked at arrival.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank nekko95
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 20, 2005

This is a very nice and unique hotel. I had a wonderful stay and unlike the first guy I had no problem sleeping at all. Very quiet and professional staff when I was there. It is very upsetting to have an experience like the first guy but they must have fixed some things over the past year because things were great and I spent a whole week there. I will be back in the future and I will always stay at this hotel when in MSP.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business