“Charming historic hotel with a great value!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square

BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Sacramento, California
“Charming historic hotel with a great value!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

This was a wonderful hotel. The buiding is unique and the rooms are spacious. The staff was kind and assisted with my luggage. The pool are and breakfast was quaint. Location great and the room was affordable. This will continue to be my number 1 choice when visiting St. Paul.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Moose Lake, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We went for our family christmas,my 6 children and their families. We booked 4 poolside rooms and one Dbl non-poolside and received e-mail confirmation for them. We got there and found they gave away one of my poolside rooms. we got another room which they said they would comp me for two nights and one other room for one night-fair enough. I informed them at check-in I would be paying cash at departure. They accepted my cash and gave me receipts. A week later I received my credit card bill and found they had charged my card a week before we stayed and did not credit me when I payed cash. After several phone calls each one assuring me I would get the credit on my card plus a $100 travel card led to nothing at all. My credit card company is disputing.The owner claims they have no record of my cash payment-I have those records and other e-mail correspondence stating my card was credited, which it was not. The manager has been fired and we are still fighting! What a way to ruin a family holiday that we all travel as far as from Colorado to have!! Thank-you Best Western!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FitzgeraldBunch
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I can't say enough about this hotel. This was a family trip for us and I coulnd't have asked for more out of a hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The hotel's indoor pool was perfect for our kids and the shuttle service was a great suprise as we didn't know the hotel had one when we booked. The location was ideal for us with plenty to do nearby. We will definitely stay at this hotel next time we come to visit!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

we had read the reviews of the hotel, and well, I would like to think you really cant judge based on bad reviews. We are glad we didnt! We were in town for all the hockey madness and we wanted some where affordable and close to st paul. We got both and this place is wonderful, the staff is friendly and very willing to help and assist. They had a shuttle and it was great and easy. I would reccommend this hotel to everyone! We will be back when we come to the state fair!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We reserved a room for 2 nights -- GUARANTEED our reservation with a credit card, and even called from on the road to make sure our slightly late arrival was no problem. When we showed up at 9:45 PM, they had no room for us!! There was just one completely incompetent young woman at the desk, and (according to her) no way we could speak with a manager or file a complaint, except by calling Best Western's 800-number. At our insistence (believe me, she wasn't offering to help), the desk clerk phoned around and found us a room at a Radisson in a very inconvenient location. We phoned the national Best Western # that night, registered a complaint, and were assured that we'd hear from the manager within 7 days. No surprise -- there has been no follow up. We're thinking of registering a complaint with the state consumer protection agency: even airlines compensate their customers if they're bumped off a flight....

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New Prague, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Stayed over New Years Eve this year. There was a double-shooting that night. Came home from a celebration to find several police cars and many unsavory characters hanging out outside and in the lobby. Went straight to our room to go to sleep even though we were a little nervous about the situation. Room right next to us had some remaining people from the wild crowd of thugs. They were loud and playing rap music at 2:30am. Unsure why the hotel staff considering what just happened didn't kick all people out that were causing any disturbance at that point, but they didn't. We called front desk to complain. After hanging up with front desk we almost immediately hear the people from the room next store come out into the hall and stating yelling our room number saying we were the ones that called on them. Felt VERY unsafe at this point. Called the front desk AGAIN and were hung up on 3 times. Had to call 911. Police came and helped escort us and others out. Hotel front desk said we wouldn't be charged for the night. A week later, a charge shows up. I call to complain to the GM. Leave a vmx that is not returned. A week later, leave another vmx that is not returned. Talk to the front desk and they say they will credit and they aren't sure why the GM is not calling me back. Two weeks later, still no credit. Call GM again and no call back. Talk to same front desk person and she says she will take care of. A few days later the credit shows up and they send a free nights room certificate (HA!). The sames manager finally did call to apologize and let me know that the GM was fired because of numerous service issues. We will probably end up using that free nights stay certificate as a bookmark!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Tree_and_Me
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel, having booked it online at the last minute, primarily due to it's cost and proximity to downtown St. Paul (15 minutes). The hotel appears to be a restored warehouse or factory, which made for some interesting and appealing architechture. However, there was no elevator and the layout of the hotel was a bit confusing at first.

My room was an interior room overlooking the pool, which means no window to the outside. This was OK the first two nights, but on Saturday night some kids and teens were using the pool until 11 PM. They weren't being rowdy, just being kids, but the noise echoed off the interior walls and it took two calls to the front desk to get them quiet. There should be a strict 10 PM limit on pool use.

The room itself was spacious and had a micro/fridge and the usual furniture. Wifi was fast and problem-free. Room was clean and well-maintained.

The location is in a light industry/industrial park, which is near Hamline University but otherwise pretty far off the beaten path. Gabe's Roadhouse, about 1/2 mile away, serves good pub food but there's nothing closer and other restaurants are a bit further. Plenty of parking, including sheltered parking if the weather is bad.

Staff was nice and helpful; morning continental breakfast was typical but adequate.

I'd stay here again, but would insist on an exterior room. The only headache was the pool noise and the lack of a window, so be forewarned and ask to be placed elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
The Saint Paul Hotel
The Saint Paul Hotel
#1 of 17 in Saint Paul
4.5 of 5 stars 641 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square? Share your experiences!