“Worst Management I Have EVER Encountered - Save yourself and book somewhere else”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Minnesota
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Made reservation in April 2009 for an August 2009 stay. Cancelled Aug 2009 stay in June 2009. Was charged for a TWO-NIGHT stay(original booking was only for 1 night) in August and still have not been credited my money. Management is the most unprofessional staff I have ever encountered in my years of travelling - they won't even return a phone call. I finally got tired of trying to deal with them after 2 months of getting nowhere and have turned it over to my credit card company to get the $350+ they owe me. Save yourself time, anguish and $$ and book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York City
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel in 2006 when it was the Holiday Inn Express. I had a room on the second floor which was very nice. However, because there is no elevator I had great difficulty with the stairs due to a knee injury. When I decided to visit family again, I opted for a poolside room at this Hotel. It is convenient for family who live nearby to pick me up or to visit. The room was not very clean. The rugs were stained and quite disgusting to look at. The base of the lamps looked like they were never cleaned. The chair and ottoman looked as if they were 10 years old! The housekeeping staff did not clean the coffee pot on a daily basis, nor did they clean up any stains left near the coffee pot. When I put on the light in the bathroom, I was inundated with gnats. The complimentary breakfast was very nice but you have to get there early. The visiting kids enjoyed the pool which did look nice and clean. I hesitate to stay at this Hotel when I visit MN again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

Chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I am typically very easy-going when it comes to service industry experiences, but certain aspects of this experience had me rankled. I picked this Best Western because it was close to the area of St. Paul where my brother lives, allowed dogs, wasn't too expensive, and had continental breakfast. I was pleased with the breakfast, although other chains do it better, and with the size of my room. If I has been traveling with more family, we could have easily fit a rollaway in the space. I also found the employees, from the front desk, to the cleaners, to be very friendly and considerate.

Now for the drawbacks: The place wasn't as clean as I might have hoped. I've been in much worse, but I was surprised as how long garbage sat outside of rooms . I was also annoyed that the housekeeper didn't replace the coffee or clean up sugar that had been spilled on a table. The workout room was pathetic - bike, treadmill, and one combo weight machine. The "business center" was under the stairs. These are mostly petty annoyances. The big problem were the parties in the ballrooms. Saturday afternoon I came home to a ridiculously loud party. I could distinctly hear the music in my room. I let it go since it was the afternoon. Later that night there was another party with loud music. Since I was there with my elderly mother, at 10 pm I went to the front desk to complain. Someone had already beat me to it. The girls (late teens to early 20s?) didn't have a clue how to appease the angry guests or how to get the party-goers to quiet down, and the manager wasn't on site. One guest finally asked for his home number.

I can't tell you the end result. We had a dog emergency, left at 11 and didn't get home until midnight.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My friends and I choose this hotel because of the affordable rates and great location. We were recommended to stay at this hotel by a family friend and we weren't disappointed! The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The staff was extremely pleasant and always available to accommodate whatever need we had. We definitely took advantage of the continental breakfast and surprisingly it was more than the usual pastries and cereal. The staff was also very helpful when giving us directions to the Mall of America [the main reason for our visit ;)] as well as our other destinations. And there was a sports bar that was easy walking distance from the hotel that had good food which is always great after a day of shopping! I would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShoppingGirl_9
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for about five nights and enjoyed it very much. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite so we had two rooms separated by a bar. The extra space was great for since the kids could sleep in one area and we were in the bedroom section. It was also helpful for visiting with family and friends. The pool is nice, but it did get crowded when more than two families were around. The area is very quiet and peaceful. The morning breakfast bar is quite good, but be careful as they clear everything, including coffee at 9:30 promptly! It's too bad they don't have coffee throughout the day.

The internet is free and the cleaning staff is always around so the hotel is really clean and comfortable. The design is excellent and retains the original brick and woodwork of the 100+ year old train station. One issue with the hotel is the lack of signs to various rooms or the pool, so we ended up walking three times as far to our room by following the posted signs, while it was shorter to take a different route that did not have signs. Small issue for an otherwise excellent hotel for families.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DJ
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed at the Bandana Square Best Western for a family vacation weekend. We were traveling from Chicago with our 15 year old son and 2 year old daughter. Our plan was Como Park - Zoo, Conservatory, Como Town the first day and Mall of America the second day. We didn't want to stay at a cookie cutter hotel in the Mall parking lot. We wanted to explore the twi cities a bit. Bandana Square Best Western was like 2 miles from Como Park and 13 miles from Mall of America. Very easy drive to the mall! The hotel was very nice, great staff, clean room (roll away ready for us in the room when we checked in at 11:30pm!) No hassles at all! The breakfast area was super cute with plenty of food and nice seating area. The pool was ultra clean and warm - my two year old LOVED it - it was nice to be able to just jump right in! The train engine out front and the box cars out back were an added bonus. It was a fun stay.....
The only negative was the air conditioning in the room was not adjustable. It was set to like 74- 75 degrees - ish and we would probably have set it cooler, as it was HOT this weekend. It would have been nice to have that control - perhaps it was just our room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LLwL
Chicago
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We chose this hotel, although in an industrial area as it is close to the St. Paul Saints Baseball team. It is a short walk to Gabes Roadhouse for dinner and a bus ride to and from the game. Upon arrival we were greeted as "guest" of the day and upgraded to a suite. We really liked the roominess of the suite, with the table and chairs for eating and the living area for lounging. This unexpected surprise allowed family to visit without being on top of one another. All the 4 year old (who loves trains) could talk about was the railroad tracks in the lobby. The pool has steps on both ends leading to 3 feet then 5 foot depths which was great for the little ones who are too big for the kiddie pool but not big enough for the deep water. All the staff was friendly and very helpful. The building configuration can be a little confusing due to its history, but that also made it interesting. Two tips are 1) as it is a historical building they cannot have an elevator so if you are unable or donot want to climb a flight of stairs, ask for a first floor room and 2) go early to breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple