“Disappointing”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I chose this hotel due to its closeness to the Amtrak station and because of the Best Western name. Cleanliness if very important to me. The room smelled like a former smoking room. There was significant filth behind the tv console in my room. The linings of the curtains were stained.The paint was pealing around the deck of the swimming pool. My son was afraid to swim in the pool in the evening because the area was so poorly lit. The only plus was the free breakfast and the courteous desk staff at check in.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I take what you have to say serious and I do thank you for all of your feedback. Please know that we are in the process of adding better light to the pool area, fixing the pool coping, and getting all new drapes for every room.
Please consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with superior service.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I would definitely not recommend to any one or stay there next time. Most of amenity and breakfast are below expectations and very far away from any Minnesota's amusements and shopping mall. Without help of GPS most of people would have hard time to finding the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We appreciate all our reviews good and bad and welcome each review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and do hope that you will try us again in the future. In regard to your review I would like to point out a few things for you to consider the next time you’re in the area. The first one is proximity to the malls and Minnesota’s amusements. We are only 3 miles from Rosedale shopping mall Minnesota’s 2nd most visited mall behind the Mall of America. Como Zoo, Conservatory, Children’s Museum, and History Museum are all with in 5 miles or less from the hotel.

Also as I am sure you are aware we are going through renovations at this time. Once we complete the renovations we will also be adding a warm items and upgrading our breakfast!

I do hope that you will give us a chance again in the future.

James G

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked this hotel for an extended stay between house closings. It is pet friendly and was a great location. Nisha at the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and larger than normal. It would have been nice to have a restaurant on site.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms do not have windows to the outside. There isn't much to see outside since t...
1  Thank Darc2005
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas week to visit family in the Twin Cities area. It was perfect. Close to both St. Paul and Minneapolis. It isn't a luxury hotel. But it was very nice and I felt good value of the money.

It comes with a breakfast. Not a great breakfast. The only protein is hard boiled eggs. But that was fine with me.

It had covered parking which helped keep the car clear of snow overnight.

The free wifi is plenty fast enough.

The room was spacious clean and quiet. It was a bit on the warm side, 67 degrees. I could not figure out how to make it lower.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Yankinwaoz
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The people at the hotel were wonderful, service was great, had a great time at the pool with my grown children. Some of the hotel is under construction with upgrading of space. It is a lovely facility built into the old train depot. It is centrally located to this area but just far enough off the highway to not hear any of the noise. I enjoyed my stay again!

2  Thank MICHAEL B
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was an excellent stay. We needed a pet friendly hotel in this area and were extremely pleased. It is such an interesting building--quite unique. Our room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and welcoming, and were knowledgeable about the building's past as part of the railroad. The breakfast was good. We also appreciated the later (noon) check out.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for your review! We appreciate all our reviews good and bad and welcome each review. We are glade you enjoyed your stay and do hope that you will try us again in the future!

We are glade to announce that our renovation will be done by the end of February and we will have new chairs, curtains, 40 inch Televisions’ and microwaves and refrigerators in all of our rooms! Plus we didn’t stop there, with addition of our new elevator, upgrade bar, breakfast and meeting room space, we are very excited for 2014!

We hope to see you again soon and share with you all of our changes,

James Gray

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I booked this hotel because of its (relative) proximity to Macalaster College, but in the end it didn't seem that much closer than staying in downtown St. Paul or near the airport and it was in an industrial park. I can't say I much enjoyed our stay there, although it certainly had nothing to do with the staff, as they were all very polite. It's just an odd place. Many of the rooms, ours included, had no window to the outdoors, instead facing the inner courtyard. Furnishings were old, and although all the rooms were non-smoking, our room had definitely been a smoking room and was still redolent of smokers past. Heating/cooling was controlled centrally, and we had to ask twice about getting fresh air in the room. Breakfast was standard Best Western fare; the 'bar' /'cafe downstairs had microwaved food and limited drink selection. At least it was inexpensive, and the bartender was very pleasant. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GrinnellParent

Thank you for your review! We appreciate all our reviews good and bad and welcome each review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and do hope that you will try us again in the future. In regard to your review I would like to point out a few things for you to consider the next time you’re in the area. The first one is proximity to the college. We are only 3 miles from Macalaster College whereas downtown St. Paul with traffic is about a 15- 20 minutes trip, plus we do offer free shuttle service to all the area colleges within a 5 mile radius. As for our rooms I am happy to mention that by the end of February we will have new chairs, curtains, 40 inch Televisions’ and microwaves and refrigerators in all of our rooms! Our heating and cooling system is the pretty much the same as Downtown St. Paul hotels that were built in the 1980’s and you can control the air up to 75 degrees and as low as 65 degrees. Plus we do have the ability to change that at the front desk should one wish.

As for our food we will be upgrading our breakfast this year to include warm items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, gravy etc., plus keeping our current waffle makers that guest absolutely love.

If you choose to stay with us again and are looking for a room with a better view talk to the guest service agent making the reservation or please don’t hesitate to ask for me and ask to stay in one of our courtyard view rooms that over looks the old water tower and train cart, the view is amazing and one that allows for more sun then anywhere else.

Again I apologize that you didn’t like your stay, and am happy that the staff was there for you when you needed it. I do sincerely hope you give us another chance.

James Gray