“Filthy and hot”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I chose this hotel for the unique features, but the room while quiet enough and good size was filthy! There were you 2and Frito chips sitting on the table next to the remote. The tub gad a shampoo bottle and mold/mildew all around the bottom. The toilet had feces on the outside of the bowl. There was toothpaste in the sink. Nasty. Also hot and no way to change that.

• Stayed: October 2013
welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your review! I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations during your stay. As I mentioned to you when you and I spoke in person at your departure that we would remedy the situation immediately and in the future not to wait till the next day to inform the staff as we would have been more then happy to find a room that met your needs. I did personally go and check the room after we spoke and just wanted to let you know that what we found on the toilet was not feces but scratches to the toilet itself. We have since replaced the toilet and made sure that the cleanliness of the room was exceptional and even making sure that where you said you noticed mold/mildew that we cleaned that area. I personally did not see what you saw but still for the benefit of all our guests we want to make sure every concern is addressed right away.

Again I am sorry for not exceeding your expectations and I thought when we spoke that you loved the hotel. I do hope that you will give us another chance and change your mind about our hotel.

Regards,

James Gray

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This Best Western (somehow) had lots of great reviews, so I went with it for our three night stay in St. Paul. I don't know where those positive reviewers were staying, but it wasn't here. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I knew I had made a mistake.
I don't think this place is exactly in the best neighborhood (it certainly looked/felt shady). Parking is not well-lit and is not near the hotel and there was some weird drug-dealer-looking person just sitting by himself in a dark car in the hotel's scary parking garage-type area, late at night when we were trying to find a safe spot to park (with my sleeping 7-year-old in the car with us). We had to drive around and around the shopping center-type place that this hotel is located within before I told my husband to just park right outside the front desk area so I could go inside and ask a manager where they would like us to park because there was no way I was dealing with scary, dark, near-empty lots not near the hotel at 11:30 p.m.
Manning the front desk that night was a gentleman whom I would have assumed had just wandered away from his nursing home were it not for the hotel name tag he was wearing. I saw him literally drool twice onto the keyboard as he was attempting to help another guest check in. He was struggling, so he hollered (yes, hollered is exactly what I mean) for an equally elderly woman to come up to the front desk and help this other guest. She was no more knowledgable than he about where to put this other guest (the guy had a confirmation number, all that, yet the old man and this woman seemed just completely baffled). I sat there for about 35 minutes, waiting to ask about the parking. It was getting very late and I could see there was no end in sight for this poor guest with these One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest rejects, so I just gave up hope of parking someplace I felt safe and braved it in the scary parking garage, one level under the drug dealer.
Our room was on the second level of the hotel, overlooking a rusted Dumpster. The active wasp nest on the outside of our window was an unexpected addition (my 7-year-old thought it was neat, anyway). The room had the necessities - two beds, a TV, a toilet, shower, sink. I suppose they made an attempt to "fancy it up" by hanging two identical framed photographs of a train on the walls. Apparently, the hotel is under some kind of remodeling? That is the excuse my husband came up with anyway when I wondered out loud about the giant hole in the entertainment stand (where one would think the mini-fridge would be).
My kid loves to swim at hotels, so I was happy that this one had a pool, and, really, I have no complaints about the pool itself, but I wasn't crazy about the fact that the pool is located in the center of a bunch of rooms with about 15-20 giant windows facing out to the pool, making it easy for any pervert to get his kicks, watching my kid or me or anyone else swim. I felt nervous and "on alert" the whole time we were in the swimming pool area.
My kid also loves the breakfasts that most hotels serve in the mornings. This hotel did have a complimentary breakfast, but if you (like me) expect to find hot items that you do not have to toast yourself at this breakfast, you are at the wrong hotel. Definitely the worst complimentary breakfast I have attended. Basically, toast (no bagels), a couple different dry cereals, oatmeal, a few apples, some varieties of those generic brand boxed doughnuts, and stone cold hard-boiled eggs.
The one good thing that came from our experience at this hotel was that I learned an important lesson: SPLURGE ON THE HOTEL! Or risk a ruined vacation. We actually left a day earlier than we had planned because none of us wanted to stay another night in this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and I am truly sorry that you had the sense that the property was not safe. Our hotel is located in the Historic Bandana Square area known for its brick buildings dating back to the 1890’s. With this being said it was not made like newer hotels with bright LED lights attached to the building or a huge parking lot. We have a parking structure right out in front of the hotel and smaller parking lot on the south side of the hotel which is monitored by the port authority’s security (just like every building on energy park drive). As for you stay I am sorry for your check in experience. The lady and gentlemen that checked you in have been at this hotel for 25 years and are dedicated to this hotel and the services we provide. Most everyone when you say the name Ruth will know that she is an outstanding representative for the hotel and they go above and beyond for every guest. As for your room and breakfast we are in the middle of upgrading all of our rooms with new drapes, TV’s and adding a refrigerator and microwave in all of the rooms. Plus we will be adding a warm breakfast with eggs and a meat later this year.

Again on behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

James Gray

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a very good place to stay in St. Paul. It's quiet, off the main road, but still close to everything. Try to get a room overlooking the courtyard. The staff is extremely helpful and, despite its rather offputting and drab name, Energy Drive has some very interesting attributes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were visiting our daughter at the University of St Thomas and this seemed to be the best option that is fairly close. It worked out very well. I would plan to do this again the next time -- the hotel was clean, convenient and met our needs well.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is located in a quiet corporate park in St Paul, minutes from downtown Minneapolis. I booked it because we thought it would have a quirky vibe (located as it is in a converted train station) and had everything we wanted (indoor pool (bonus: sauna & hot tub!), free internet, parking, and breakfast) for under $100 a night. We were not disappointed, and in fact my twentysomething daughter couldn't get over how great it was. We requested and got a poolside room, which was great since a sliding glass door leads right from our room into the pool area, avoiding the oft-uncomfortable traipsing around the hotel in your bathing suit to get to the there. The pool area, sauna and hot tub were clean and stocked with ample towels (that would be quantity - not quality, as they were thin, and wouldn't wrap around anyone weighing more than my own 130 lbs). The room decor was somewhat dated, but it was more plain than anything else, and well within what I would expect for this level hotel, so my daughter and I were very happy. The bed had quality pillows and very decent linens. Definitely would stay here again.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a wedding group. The staff was just wonderful with all of our requests. The assistant Manager Tina was just great. They are redoing the rooms so we had to put up with some hallway clutter, but it will only help make this a better hotel.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Good hotel. Very clean. Hot though, no AC or it was not working. Check in and out took more time than I thought necessary. The layout was a little confusing also, but all in all the experience was good. Close to downtown St. Paul and the taxi ride was cheap.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends