“Unique but not the greatest”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed May 13, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We arrrived at the hotel on a Thursday evening. Hotel was very clean and neat looking as it was an old railway station. Check in time took a long time and staff really need to smile and look like they enjoy their job, because they both didn't seem to like it. Our room was a king size room that had only one chair and a old office chair that was broken. There appeared to have been a sofa as there was two end tables and a coffee table. I had to sit on a broken chair that was so uncomfortable. Check out time was the same, staff at the reception but did help with directions and that was good. The continental breakfast was good and the staff there were excellent! The lounge was cute but closes way too early as there aren't a lot of places to go there for snacks or drinks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clare J
GMBandana, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

First I would like to say thank you for placing your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. Positive or negative feed back helps us at the hotel improve on our service. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I wanted to let you know that I will be speaking to the staff that worked the days you stayed with us and let them know your comments. I take pride of a friendly staff and ones that are here for the guest and I am disappointed that you did not get the experience or the staff friendliness that we try and instill in our staff. Also if you would be so kind to contact me at the hotel I want to make sure that if you did not mention the chair being broken to the staff on check out or during your stay that I personally inspect the room and make sure that everything in the room is up and running in at a high standard.

Again thank you so much for your review and we do hope that you visit us again as we will make sure that your experience is one that you will remember for the positive.

General Manager.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Traveled to St. Paul for my granddaughters concert at Hamline University. This hotel is very close. The hotel is clean and interesting as it is a former railroad depot. They are located near the fairgrounds and excellent shopping. The breakfast is good and it is very quiet. But the bed had a big scoop in the middle and I was not comfortable. I have serious back issues and this is not where I will be staying on my next visit. But if you are of sound body I think you should try it. Tell them you are a Hamline parent and you will get a great rate. They don't seem to check on it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

In the past year we have replaced all of our beds so I am deeply sorry that the bed was not up to par for you. If you could please contact us and let us know what room you were in I want to make sure we get the bed fixed or replaced right away.

Again thank you so much for your review and we do hope that you visit us again as we will make sure our bed is up to your satisfaction.

General Manager.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was just their for 3 nights. and this was the worst stay at a best western by far. bottles caps on the windows. room was to cold no heat. loud room service workers. if you like to b woken up at 8am everyday this is your hotel. WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS ON AGIAN.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
GMBandana, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Good Day Sir,

I do know that I spoke to you upon your check out and I do wish at that time you would have let me know about your stay as at the time I would have been more then happy to address any of your concerns or problems that you may have had. I am saddened that you didn't mention it to me at that time as until we know about it we can’t do anything to improve on it. I do hope you had a better trip back to Chicago then you did the last time and again I apologize for your stay and I do hope that you will try us again in the future. If you would like to contact me personally I would be more then happy to hear from you.

James G

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice stay. Really liked the building. Room was clean, shower head good. Room a little on small side. TV was old but worked fine. Popcorn in lobby was a treat. Good breakfast. Service was great. Computer with printer available. Did not use the pool or hit tub but looked good with nice seating area.

• Stayed: March 2013
welovetrips, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Hello and thank you for your response! We appreciate the feedback as a management team as it allows us to compliment, improve and refine our operations. I am also happy to inform you that our TV's will be getting a nice refresh shortly so i hope you will be back to visit! Again Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again!

James G

Reviewed March 13, 2013

First the building. It is a converted train repair station and has the original beams and train track running through with a cute train station in the lobby that serves as the breakfast area. Very fun for the kids. It is close to the Model train museum which is great for kids and has an indoor pool. There is a small bar/grill which is nice to have a cocktail and do some work on the laptop. A special note on service, I was late getting down to the breakfast which closes at 9:30 a.m. and Ruth set me up with everything I needed even though she was trying to close it down. Thank you Ruth! One note for the management. The workout room is fine, it just needs a bottle of disinfectant spray and a roll of paper towels so we can spray before/after a workout. Overall great stay, very good service!

Room Tip: Quiet on the rooms not on the pool side. Pool is located on the interior with pool side rooms on bo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I've been coming to this hotel ever since the 90's when it was a Holiday Inn Express. It has the most comfortable beds, and the service is always great. Everything is clean, and the continental breakfast is awesome. I absolutely love the fact that it is located inside of an old train repair shop. The tracks running through the building makes me feel like I'm in an old western. I would suggest this hotel to anyone traveling to this area. BANDANA SQUARE IS THE BEST!!!

Room Tip: Any room is great, but I think the rooms that are attached to the pool area are the best.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family