“Don't Make a Reservation Here”

Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Schofield, Wisconsin
“Don't Make a Reservation Here”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Made a reservation in January for an away from the pool king. In May I saw that a by the pool kind was only $10 more so I called and upgraded. When I checked in, the front desk lady answered her cell phone while helping a guest and my room was an away from the pool king. I didn't have time to say anything because I was on my way to a baseball game. The room was absolutely tiny. I felt claustrophobic and that never happens to me. At breakfast, I handed them my rewards card and repeatedly told them to add my number to my reservation. I still haven't received my points. When I got home, I looked up my reservation number and it came back as cancelled. I didn't cancel it or I wouldn't have shown up if I had. That means someone at the hotel had to have cancelled it and made a new one for me for an away from the pool king. Needless to say, this hotel was nothing but a hassel and headache. Stay far away from this horrible place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Northern Minnesota
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family has stayed at this hotel at least 5 times in the last 4 years. We loved it the first time and each time since it has gone down hill. When we checked out this past Sunday, my husband told the kids to say goodbye to it .. we won't be staying again. It keeps getting dirtier and more unkept as the years go by. It's time for a remodel ... new furniture, rooms painted, bathrooms redone, pool area repainted (paint peeling by hot tub) new plants/shrubbery .. the list goes on and on. There was a disgusting brown palm tree in the lobby area. Yuck! The one positive note about the BW Bandana Square is the Front Desk staff - ALWAYS kind and curteous. Good luck to the staff, this place really needs some sprucing.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are loud (birthday party going on in room next to us at least 30+ people there using the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JajaRobe
GMBandana, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hello and thank you for your response! A customer’s feedback is the best thing for any business. I wanted to first apologize for us not meeting your needs and please know that you comments are and will be addressed. I wanted to let you know that our rooms have been repainted, and we have addressed the matter with the hot tub/ pool area. I am also happy to announce we are in the process of updating the plants and shrubs, along with some small renovation items that we hope to have done by the end of this year that well continue to make the hotel a great place for all who stay.

Again I wanted to say thank you for your response and please consider us again in the future.

Regards,

James M. Gray
Best Western Bandana Square
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed June 7, 2012

When the signage to a hotel is problematic, that plants a critical readiness in a reviewer. We missed the front doors of this hotel driving around the building 3 times, because the markings above the facade were not distinct or in the logo one would expect to see.

Next, the check in, though done by a very polite clerk, was too lengthy. She alone was dealing with phone calls coming in and the guest ahead of us and it might have been faster had she not been alone.

The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable and sleeping was flawless. At LAST!!! A QUIET ROOM WITHOUT AN INTRUSIVE and NOISY AIR CONDITIONER! This room had central air, with adjustable thermostat - a VERY welcome touch to light sleepers like I. Overall, the facility was pleasantly quiet.

The vending machine on my floor did not accept the dollar bills and this occasioned a lengthy walk to another machine clear across the other end of the facility which had a different menu without the drink I really wanted.

Breakfast was OK, not terribly memorable, and the exercise room fairly adequate for a brief stay.

The lobby, in which I had to wait for 3 hours after check out for my ride, was spartan, but comfortable, even if a bit warm.

I didn't particularly like the location - it was nowhere near any restaurants I could see, either by walking or driving.

Room Tip: It appears to me that the second floor rooms would offer a better advantage. I lost my directional...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BloomingMisfit
Oak Park
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel about four times over the past few years. Initially, our rooms were very clean, recently decorated and had a very nice, high quality feel to them. Four years have passed, and the rooms feel dirty and need some improvements - stained carpets, cigarette burns on mattress, and run down furniture. On the plus side, I had made the reservation through hotwire.com requesting a non smoking room. When we arrived, the reservation was not processed correctly (NOT the fault of Best Western) leaving us with a smoking room in a completely sold out hotel. Two desk managers really went out of their way to accomodate us and found a good solution for our second night. We really appreciated this and that counts for a lot. Room improvements will go a long way to make this a special place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with outside exposure. Rooms facing the pool have poor ventilation and can be loud. W...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife took me to St. Paul and Chicago for my birthday this last weekend. The Best Western Bandana Square was convenient to the train station and the historical train motif was great. The rooms...we had two...were clean and the breakfast, though not a hot breakfast, was pleasing. Negatively, it was a bit pricey and Spartan when compared to the five star hotel we visited in Chicago the same weekend (same price) ...especially since I used Best Western's reservation service directly. I would have expected about 20% less or more on a weekend.

Room Tip: It's worth a visit, especially if you like historical stuff. The St. Paul Model Railroad society...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip. On a Thursday night, the hotel was relatively low-key, but having a room on the pool is an absolute nightmare if you need to sleep early (I need to wake at 3 am for a flight, but the pool is open until 11 pm and people are not very conscious of the guests in the hotel rooms a stone's throw away.

The hotel itself is gorgeous and has lots of charm as a renovated train center. Unfortunately, what I hoped as some standard courtesies and amenities are not available.

As a business traveler who packs only a carry-on and has limited liquids space, I anticipated shampoo and conditioner - but only shampoo was provided. There are ants crawling on my bed and there are no other rooms. The water pressure was non-existent and it's lucky that I'm staying alone in my room because the hot water ran out very, very quickly when showering.

The service was friendly, but this hotel is not friendly to the go to bed early traveler.

Room Tip: I'm guessing that rooms not on the pool are quieter. Children running upstairs are very loud, s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BizTravels12
GMBandana, General Manager at Best Western Plus Como Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

I will address your concerns with our staff in order to make sure this type of experience does not happen again

I do hope you will give us another chancel come back and see us again soon.

Regards,

James Gray

Travelers are raving about these Saint Paul hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was a little hesitant to stay here since it's not in a cute neighborhood or in a bustling shopping/restaurant area, but decided to take a chance since it looked so charming! And it did have lots of character, which I loved. The old train buildings were in tip top shape, and were really lovely. The train motif existed throughout the hotel lobby, with the continental breakfast held in the old ticket counter area. The lobby, pool area, and rooms were all very clean.

The downside is that the breakfast was really, really poor. It was so crowded in the little ticket area where the buffet line was, you could barely move. But the worst part is that though they say they serve breakfast until 9:30, that doesn't mean they have food until 9:30. When they run out of food, they run out of food. Two mornings in a row, we were there by 9:00, and the oatmeal, fruit, and eggs were gone (which was the bulk of what they offered). All that was left were some soft apples, cold cereal, and cheap bread for toasting. By 9:25, they were putting everything away. The buffet area was clearly still packed with people, still waiting in line trying to get food, and the food staff was quickly putting everything away in front of our eyes. Customers were trying to grab the pitcher of juice off of the cart (where the staff was putting food to take it away) to quickly pour themselves a glass of juice. At 9:27 as she was putting away the loaf of bread, and I asked her if she could please at least leave me one piece of bread to eat. It was really quite strange!

(I should add though that they did have a waffle area.)

The equipment in the fitness room was in poor condition and much of it didn't work, and the hot tub was warm, not hot.

We will not stay here again, unfortunately, even though I wanted to like it! I do want to mention that the counter staff (where you first check in) was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sailawaynow
Thank you for review! First let me say that I am sorry for the experience that you had at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I have taken your response and have personally talked to each department head and staff member and let them know that we let you down. We have since made changes in order to address your concerns.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked and problems that you had during your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

We hope you give us anotther chance

James Gray