DoubleTree by Hilton St. Paul East
$200
$174
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge(Saint Paul)(Great Value!)
All reviewsroom was cleanbooked this hotelbar and grilltwin citiesshuttle serviceconvenient locationpaulstfreewaydowntowneventrefrigeratorminneapolisconcert
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Although this hotel is showing it's age in the color scheme it's otherwise a good place to stay if you need a hotel in this area of St. Paul/Woodbury. It's not a destination hotel so I wouldn't bring my wife here for our anniversary but if I was coming back to this area for a conference or meeting by myself, I'd definitely stay here again. I didn't check out the pool or fitness area so I can't comment on them. I didn't eat at the restaurant either. The rooms were quiet, the furniture was newer, and the beds were very comfortable!! The bathroom had a marble countertop (which surprised me) and was in good repair. The hotel was quiet and I slept great here. Better than at hotels I've paid 2 or 3 times as much. It's one or two exits from eating and shopping.
Pros:
- CHEAP!!
- Clean, comfortable rooms.
- Quiet!
- Close to shopping and eating.
Cons:
- Mechanical failures; all 3 elevators failed for awhile and I had to walk up to the 5th floor.
- In room movies didn't work.

Here's a nice touch...the maid made me an elephant out of towels. Just like they do in Mexico.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We spend the week-end and had a great time. The room was fantastic, the best nights sleep we have had in a hotel in a long time. The mattress was very comfortable and the room was very neet and clean. We had five pillows on the bed and even an option to get different types for comfort of sleeping. The room was quite. It also had a nice shower and large bathroom. We also ate in the dining room the food was very good and everyone was very nice. It had a nice bar area. We also went to a comedy show in the hotel that was very good. It's located right off the highway with easy access to a varity of places to see. We will definently come back and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2010

The staff is very professional and eager to serve their customers well. They were very quick to respond to any of our needs. The suite we stayed in exceeded our expectations and offered one pleasant surprise after another. All amenities and decor were updated and top of the line. Based on appearances, we didn't think our meal at the restaurant would be much more elaborate than your basic bar food. But all seven people at our table were exceptionally satisfied and shocked at the quality and taste of our meal. I highly recommend dining there! My favorite part of our stay was our bed. So comfortable!!! We will be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I haven't even stayed there yet, but already the Holiday Inn in St. Paul on 2201 Burns Ave has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced from a hotel. About a month ago, my staff made a reservation to the hotel for a business trip to occur next month. What I didn't know at the time was that the group association I was with had already booked me an alternative hotel.

When I went back to cancel my room reservation at the Holiday Inn in the 3M Area, I was refused service. In fact, even worse, they gave me several numbers to call for canceling my reservation, and I was stuck holding forever without any service. Later, when I finally did get through after about 45-60 minutes, they refused to cancel my reservation but promised a call from "management" within 48 hours. Now, five days later, I still have not had a return call.

I will never stay at a Holiday Inn hotel, particularly in the St. Paul area. I encourage everyone to never stay at a Holiday Inn hotel again, either.

Feel free to call me at [--] if you want to hear more about my terrible experience with Holiday Inn.

Jason White

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
HIStPaulEast, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton St. Paul East, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that when we talked over the phone prior to your posting I did not learn about your experience with cancelling the reservation.

As we discussed, the reservation made was a special savings, requiring an advance purchase, and consistent with an advance purchase, it’s non refundable and not cancellable. However, after learning about the situation regarding the alternate hotel, I was happy to make an exception and promptly refunded the full amount of the charge.

I would be happy to re-visit our phone conversation, and hope you will contact me so that I can personally learn more and review your concerns.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

As I read before on this site, the outside of this hotel isn't much to look at, the inside is actually pretty nice though. Very nice pool area and the rooms were very spacey but that is really where the "good" things end. The restaurant is terrible, over priced with blah food and bad service, speaking of service (unless we just got a bad weekend) but it seems like everyone that worked there was only 16 years old. The kid at check in didn't know how to give me change for a $50. I'm glad we only were there for one night. As we drove home we saw so many other hotels that we should have stayed at.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
HIStPaulEast, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton St. Paul East, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2010

Thank you for your candid feedback. I am very sorry for the unhelpful experience at the front desk as well as terrible service and dissatisfaction with the food in our restaurant.

As the new General Manager, please know that as part of our new brand and direction I am working with each department manager to address and correct the specific issues raised, by providing better training and insuring we’re communicating to associates our service and quality of food standards.

I hope on your next trip to the area, you will stay once again and give us an opportunity to make it right. Please contact me for any future reservations and I will make sure we take care of you.

Thank you for taking time out to write a review.