“Surly you Jest!”

Cuisines: American, Grill
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Here on a hockey night it was standing room only which is to be expected. But when you hit the front door you are offered a beer by friendly wait staff. All light beer usual suspects and Surly. Ok, hello! Thanks for thinking of us no crap on tap people. Tv's were tuned to hockey games and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Located near the arena, it is a must stop before or after the game.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub is located on West 7th Street a couple of blocks west of the Excel Energy Center (where the Wild play). Tom Reid owns it and he used to play defense for the Minnesota North Stars and he is now a radio announcer for the Minnesota Wild. Tom is a Canadian so the menu has a mix of Canadian and American food. This sports bar has a huge collection of hockey photos and memorabilia on the wall and there are lots of TV’s arranged so you can see one from every table.

I went with my wife on a Saturday night in October for dinner and to watch the Wild game. The Wild were playing in Chicago so the game was on TV and the bar was busy, but not packed. I am sure this place gets packed before or after a Wild home game. We had the steak bites and fries for an appetizer and I thought the fries were great but the steak bites were only ok. For dinner my wife had a bacon cheeseburger and fries and I had the BBQ Chicken sandwich and paid an extra $2 for the tater tots. Tater tots were not a good choice as their French fries were really good and the tots were almost tasteless. I had a bite of my wife’s burger and thought it was great. I did not really like my dry chicken sandwich. The bar offers a 2 for $5 beer special during the Wild Game which is great deal. This deal does not exist one second before the start of the game or 1 second after the game (they are strict about the rule and I had to wait about 5 minutes to order my beers). I thought it was a little strange they served my two beers in clear plastic cups (like at a college party).

My only complaint was that parking was an issue on the Saturday night we visited. We drove around the block a couple times until I figured out the correct lot (the street parking was all taken). I paid $5 to park at the lot across the street (west of the bar). There was a lot directly behind Tom Reid’s that was shared with another restaurant and I was not sure if I could park there. The restaurant next door had their own parking lot and attendant and he told me I could not park there since I was not eating at his restaurant.

Overall I enjoyed my dinner at Tom Reid’s and recommend it. This is a good sports bar within close walking distance to the Xcel Energy Center. The service was pretty good but our server got lost a few times when we needed her but that was not a big deal.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This place is great!! They have wonderful food. The buffalo chicken wings are awesome as well as the Walley fillet sandwich or dinner. Their ribs are one of the best I've had, and my friend cant get enough of the blue cheese burger. The place has tons of hockey memorabilia cover the walls and Tom Reid, who is so sweet and personable, comes around and talks to everyone. If you love hockey or just want some great food, this is the place to go. Its only two blocks west of the Xcel Center if your in for a hockey game or a concert make time to stop in before or after your event.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I met some family there got lunch today-the food was good, beer was cold and it was a great atmosphere to sit and visit. The service was right on- the appetizer came & we had perfect timing before the entree came. Very good selection on the menu & a good selection of beers.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you're not a regular customer forget the service. Our server spent more time chatting with her faves and totally ignored us. Never came back to refresh our drinks or check on our food order. I had to ask the bartender to refresh our drinks. This is isn't the only time we've experienced poor service there. Never again!