“AMAZING”
Review of Kopplin's Coffee

Kopplin's Coffee
Ranked #18 of 68 Coffee & Tea in Saint Paul
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love Kopplins so much. They roast their beans in house, have the BEST coffee in the Twin Cities, and are overall the nicest people ever.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Funky coffee shop along Marshall in St Paul. Service was friendly; I really don't understand the complaints in the other reviews. It seems like a local place for people to bring their Macs to surf or work while they enjoy their coffee. Atmosphere is OK, but the photos on the wall could be larger; they seem lost on the large walls. Would go back again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

How is it that one establishment within five minutes can sum up everything I dislike about the Midwest?

Kopplin’s on Marshal in St. Paul, MN manages to answer this question with a short and simple series of points. Upon arrival to what is touted as the Twin Cites foremost in coffee culture. I was asked not, greeted by a dreadlocked barista. I soon found that her hair wasn’t the only thing to be dreaded in this cafe. I ordered a simple drink as I often do to sample just what this café had to offer.

My drink a sixteen-ounce vanilla latte, was scoffed at for of course at Kopplin’s this drink is impossible! My barista informed me firstly that Kopplin’s did not offer vanilla syrup, (as if my choice would somehow spoil the splendor of their latte.) This struck me as odd, I have lived in Seattle for many years and no one there has thought of this latte revelation. Not even the bars of espresso tasting on Capitol Hill have thought of this! Maybe the let down wouldn’t have been so terrible if the barista hadn’t been so rude about it. As if I’m the worlds greatest idiot for wanting vanilla.

I corrected this grievous syrup error and just asked for a plain latte but then again this was impossible! Why? I had been foolish enough to order a sixteen-ounce latte. I understand that perhaps too much milk might detract away from some of my latte’s flavor. I believe I can live with actions so may I please have as much milk as I choose?

Soon I am presented with a twelve-ounce plain latte for here. I bring it back to a table in the back of the café. I look eagerly “Well, despite everything if the latte is good then frankly all is forgiven.” I smell the late with the lazy leaf on top looking more phallic then leafy. Horror! My nostrils are filled with rotten espresso.

I know the latte will be bad I don’t even want to taste it. My wife seeing me in distress give’s me a “oh it can’t be all that bad look.” and takes a sip. Her face drops. Then I too out of obligation sip the latte.

The flavor is splittingly bitter. I wanted to go up to the counter and cry “It’s wrong you’ve got it all wrong!” I can honestly say it was the worse latte I’ve had in the Twin Cities and if you’re acquainted with that scene you’ll know just how bad that statement really is. Even Caribou, or the pale imitations of Starbucks out here can do better and even if it was bad they would have given it to me how I wanted.

I sunk it in, the rudest barista, the worse latte then everything else in Koppplins came crashing down. The worn interior, dirty walls, and all the while the moderately hip and affluent patrons sipping happily having no clue what the Puget Sound is or one of the crucial things that makes the place so special, coffee.

I have no doubt in my mind that Kopplin’s shall be a successful venture and patrons will think my judgment unfair. I still intend to give this café a second chance. However, if you are from the west coast and know better I implore you not to come here. Grab your need be pick-me-up from the airport and carry along your way. If I want a rudely acquired and poor tasting drink I’d just get snag any old cup of coffee in New York.

1  Thank Logan W
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Some folks rave about the coffee, I guess I'm not enough of a coffee connoisseur to totally get it. It tastes okay to me, but incredibly strong.

What's most annoying about the place is how, well - douchy - the staff seems to act toward customers. I sat for about a half an hour and didn't hear any customer greeted in a kind or friendly way.

In reading other reviews, I read where one pregnant woman ordered a decaf and was read the riot act about how 'non-environmentally friendly' it is. I overheard a similar conversation between customer & barista, the customer was made to feel like a representative from Monsanto for ordering - gasp - decaf.

Another person requested an iced coffee and received a lengthy lecture on why it wasn't feasible to create iced coffee, but an iced latte was possible (for $1 more)?

Then, ironically, the next person received THEIR coffee iced when they'd requested it hot. Kind of funny, except no one was laughing (not even the barista, who seemed to have NO sense of humor.)

I don't need to go somewhere and pay to have folks treat me like everything I'm saying is a little stupid and very embarrassing, I already HAVE teenagers at home (and even THEY don't take themselves as seriously as the staff at this coffee house seems to.)

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Running late for an appointment. Needed espresso. Popped in and asked for a double to go. Cashier took my money. I waited in line for the espresso. THEN the cashier informed me that they didn't do espresso to go. Any other beverage, yes. They had to-go cups; they had espresso. But as the barista painstakingly explained, they wanted me to savor the full Italian experience and sip my espresso while seated in their lovely establishment. I agree with the sentiment, but the Italians I've seen, both in Rome and in smaller towns, grab their espresso in a tiny plastic cup, slam it down on the run, and toss the cup on the sidewalk.
Say something nice: they gave me my money back, no questions asked.
There are plenty of places where they care deeply about the coffee, but care about the customers, too.

1  Thank NashRambler17