“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersGold level
north carolina
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 5, 2008

After reading reviews we decided to stay at the St. Paul Hotel on our weekedn trip to the Twin CIties. The hotel is historic and has a certain charm however it is overpriced. The rooms are small and we did not have much of a view. The staff is very helpful.
We had a Landmark King room.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed here overnight for our 10th anniversary. It is a beautiful hotel, but for $199 a night, I didn't think it was that spectacular. We had a standard king room, which was an average size. I was left feeling - this is it for $200?!?

When booking the reservation, I was asked if we were celebrating anything. I did tell them we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Although we were greeted with a "happy anniversary" - I was surprised that was it. I wasn't expecting a free room or anything, but thought maybe a glass of champagne or dessert.

I will say the food at the St. Paul Grill was phenomenal. We will be back to eat there again! Great service, beautiful view, wonderful food!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I have stayed at the St. Paul nearly a half dozen times, and while it is doubtlessly the best hotel within miles, they have nothing to really compete against. I would venture to say that Des Moines or Omaha have a better range of lodgings than downtown St. Paul.

Your next step down would likely be the Crowne Plaza around the corner, and the one time I had to stay there, it was packed with folks attending a poultry trade show; not that I have anything against hens and eggs. My point is that if the St. Paul is 4-star, the nearest property that measures up to it is over in Minneapolis.

The upside for the St. Paul is that the staff is well-versed in hospitality and really extend themselves to the task, the bar is not to be outdone by any in the Twin Cities for atmosphere and top-flight bartenders, and the St. Paul Grill serves up some of the best cuisine around.

• Liked — Quiet rooms
  • Disliked — Parking fees
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank fancode
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the St. Paul Hotel for a weekend while in town for a wedding. Our room rate was $159/night and we had a simply excellent stay. All employees with whom I came into contact were very helpful and friendly. The hotel was impeccably clean and the facilities were lovely. I consider this to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

Check in was a breeze, a small problem with the minibar was fixed with no questions asked, and lunch at the restaurant was great at a reasonable price.

The only thing that needs an upgrade are the bath towels which were thin and rough.

• Liked — Clean room, great service
  • Disliked — Lousy towels, no coffee maker in the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2008

In previous reviews – notably of the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, KY and the Westin Columbus in Columbus, Ohio - I’ve discussed both the charm and the drawbacks of historic hotels. I’m pleased to say The St. Paul Hotel in St. Paul, Minnesota has all of the positives and none of the negatives. And the hotel’s boast of excellent service is more than mere braggadocio; the service is truly top-notch.

The hotel that stands on the property today opened in 1910 and has loads of early 20th century charm. But the hoteliers are also quite mindful that we’re now in the 21st century and our needs are quite different from those of our grandparents or great-grandparents. The St. Paul Hotel meets those needs quite well.

The guest rooms are surprisingly spacious. My king room had a large flat-screen TV (discreetly tucked away in an armoire), a comfortable chair and ottoman where one could read the local paper that was delivered every morning, a desk with good lighting and Internet access (for a fee), and a safe large enough to hold my laptop – a great “plus.”

The bathrooms have been updated and have plenty of counter space, top-shelf amenities, and a shower head that provides a robust, invigorating shower. And bathrobes are supplied without having to be requested.

There are restaurants and a lounge in the hotel, a complimentary business center, free wireless Internet access in the lobby, and a fitness center with a good variety of equipment as well as a nice view from its 12th floor location.

The only minor drawbacks are towels that are unexpectedly thin given the rest of the luxury touches provided, and guest rooms bereft of coffee makers. But considering the overall experience, those truly are small things, and I’d stay there again without a moment’s hesitation.

• Liked — A tie between the outstanding service and the beautiful facilites, including the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing to disklike!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2008

This hotel isn't perfect--I tend to hate single rooms and got one here. But the service is absolutely impeccable, in a proactive kind of way. Most remarkable was that when the chambermaid found two beers in water in the ice bucket, she replaced the water with fresh ice. I've never seen service that detailed. A couple of items were left off my bill, and when I pointed them out, they declined to add them. Restaurants were excellent--the St Paul Grill does an outstanding Walleye Filet, and the M Street Cafe does a breakfast of exceptional quality at an unexpectedly reasonable price. Best--at breakfast, they offered me an extra cup of coffee in a medium-sized takeaway cup.

• Liked — The service, particularly the extra cup of takeaway coffee offered with breakfast
  • Disliked — Single room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mklein818
Doylestown
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We love this type of hotel. Even for the mid-west, St. Paul is a wonderfully friendly city, and this hotel embodies that spirit. It is right in the middle of everything, surrounded by Charles Schultz "Peanuts" bronze statues (he was born in the city) and across from the amazing Landmark Center with its wood exhibit and just amazing Schubert Club musical instrument exhibit, It is a short walk to the Science Museum and wonderful Minnesota Museum of American Art (small but great). And the hotel? The service - impeccable; food - lunch is wonderful, breakfast is in a gloomy basement so go elsewhere. But I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough for its location and service.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple