“What a treat!”

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This place spoils you with history, cleanliness, and probably the best customer service I have ever experienced. The restaurant was great ( although a bit pricey). The food and service more than made up for the charges. The area is clean, safe and well patrolled. We has a great walk through St. Paul on an unusually warm winter day. The hotel is near a great park and lots of great restaurants. When I initially made my reservation I was a bit concerned about the condition of the rooms. When you typically stay in historic hotels you often sacrifice room quality... I will tell you this is not the case with the Saint Paul Hotel. They take care of this great piece of history. I would be willing to bet it is in better condition than when it was first built. The Doorman was the most helpful hospitality person I have ever encountered. He know everything about the city. I felt like it was my honeymoon and everyone knew it. They treated me like royalty and I was just a Saturday night guest. Needless to say very well managed.

I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a Downtown view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Aaron J

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed one night for business purposes. I did not use the facilities or explore the hotel, but overall I did get a positive feel for the hotel. In summary:

Positive
1) efficient and polite check-in and check-out process
2) spacious room, clean, with all basic amenities
3) plenty of hot water and powerful shower
4) central downtown location
5) comfortable bed

Negative
1) minor issue, but shower head wasn't so high on the wall, so you had to bend slightly which became uncomfortable. I am 175cm, so not tall.
2) aged, although well maintained.

I would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MPHILM
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I just love this old and rich hotel. It has the charm of an older hotel, the atmosphere as you step in, it's like a big town hotel, albeit old world, in a city that I love because it feels like a big small town. The rooms are appointed so nicely. From Thanksgiving time until some time in March, the city park across the street is lit so beautifully, it's magical. The food in the hotel is excellent, the staff is so pleasant and it's all so clean. I love where it's located. The fitness center has nice equipment in it. The views from the higher levels include the St. Paul Cathedral (just stunning!) and the magnificent Mississippi River. The hustle and bustle of Minneapolis is only minutes away. The airport is close by. There are so many activities nearby. Excellent!

Room Tip: The M Street Grill has a fabulous brunch Sunday morning! Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed one night at this beautiful hotel. The room was gorgeous, very clean and well cared for. We went to the MN Wild game and got back to the room by 10pm. The music from the banquet hall below was rocking until midnight. Around 1145 pm, the neighbors were arguing so loud, I thought they were in the room with us. Felt kind of like being in a cheap motel. After the music stopped and the arguing ended, it was quiet and peaceful. Bed was super comfy, I didn't want to get up and out of it!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room higher than on the second floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Esme G
Reviewed January 10, 2014

In town for a hockey game, the room was a little small but that's OK because it's an older landmark hotel, very beautiful place. Everyone from the lady I booked with to the bellman, doorman valet and housekeepers were very helpful, professional and extremely polite. The bellman actually showed us everything in and about the room. We had requested a fridge and cot and everything was in order and the fridge was cold. On top of that our favorite hockey team was staying there and we saw them in the lobby. The tunnel to the Xcel energy Center is an added bonus. If you like staying at a classy clean place this is the one for you. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Jnmm
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you so much for the great review! I hope the "right" team won the hockey game!

Looking forward to having you as a guest again in the future.

David Miller

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I am a frequent guest at the St Paul Hotel, and cannot say enough good things about it. It is the nicest hotel in St Paul, and the grandest hotel in the entire Minneapolis/St Paul area. The rooms are nicely appointed, the bathroom are large enough and always clean, and the beds are very nice. The service is second to none, and you will see the same staff people there, stay after stay.

Besides being a wonderful place to stay, the hotel is also the home to the St Paul Grille, which is one of the top three restaurants in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. It is THE gathering place in St Paul.

No more to say - if you want the best in St Paul, stay at the SPH.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a corner suite overlooking Rice Park.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, Lyle! We appreciate the kind words.

Hope to see you soon!

David Miller

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The room was very clean and bathroom spotless (LOVE that!). We were able to check in early (2:30). Upon checkout, we decided to have lunch. We asked the bellman to hold our bags, very gracious and accomodating. Can not say a negative thing regarding the service or hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple