“Lovely Room - Horrible Service”

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We booked five nights in a suite and connecting king room for the Christmas Holiday. We had requested early check in so my wife could prepare for (expensive) high tea in the lobby with several relatives and friends. As instructed when we made the reservation six weeks earlier we called the hotel the day before check in and again that morning to reiterate our request. We were fully aware that there was no guarantee that we'd get into the room early but we kept our fingers crossed. We arrived at 1:30 and were told that the prior guest had checked out before 12 noon, but housekeeping had not gotten to our room yet. So, even with our request in hand and the room empty for an hour and a half, they couldn't make an effort to prepare the room. Quite disappointing given the request and multiple calls. The rooms were finally ready after 4PM. That evening, we called down to the valet for our car and were told it would be there in 15 minutes. Over the next 40 minutes as we stood in the Minnesota cold, I inquired with the valet three times as to the status of our car and was assured each time, though with an increasing level of attitude on the part of the bellman, that it was on its way. While they were very busy, we watched others request their cars and drive off. We finally asked for the manager who, after investigating, admitted that they had no idea where our car was, this in spite of the fact that they bellman had assured us THREE TIMES that the car was on its way. It turns out they had put the wrong ticket on our keys so could not match our ticket number to the keys - unfortunate though honest mistake. The frustrating part is that had the bellman been paying attention, he could saved a great deal of time by acknowledging that they couldn't find our keys. As it was we were 40 minutes late for our dinner reservation. Lovely building and the rooms were fresh and well appointed, though the bathrooms were quite small. So, while we could recommend the rooms, the service needs a serious upgrade.

Room Tip: An Ambassador Suite overlooking Rice Park.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank J0sRad
There are newer reviews for The Saint Paul Hotel

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right downtown surrounded by restaurants, bars, shopping, theater, and the Excel Energy Center. The hotel itself is a classic destination. Nice rooms, great service, and a very good bar and restaurant on premise. The fitness center has some great views, so bring your gear. I was here for a weekend getaway and it was perfect. My wife was thrilled with the place too.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here the Saturday before Christmas while in town for a show. Arrived about 12:30 for a matinee, left the car with the valet. We couldn't check in early so left bag with the coat check. That was all fine but then we tried to find a quick bite to eat before the show. The downstairs cafe "closed at noon" and, understandably, the St Paul Grille was full. (Truthfully, we weren't looking for a fancy lunch.) The Landmark Center was closed. We decided then to just sit in the hotel lobby, but we couldn't do that because it was set for high tea, to be served at 2. Given that the hotel is located in a downtown location with no eateries nearby for lunch, we really didn't have anywhere to go. Finally found a Dunn Bros over a couple of blocks, and it felt like a true oasis.

We're early risers and Sunday morning at 5:15 requested coffee via room service, but learned that there is no room service before 6AM. The cafe doesn't open until 9 on Sunday.

The room was exceptionally nice, as we've found consistently on our stays here before. . . . But they have other issues to work on.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bookerRochesterMN
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was in St. Paul for a day and got to stay at this iconic hotel. Beautiful location, great architecture, well appointed room, etc. It's right across right park and the lights this time of year are just beautiful. Check in process was quick and easy but then the problems started. I wanted to get a drink at the lobby bar but it was closed... at 7.30pm. So I go up to the room and was pretty impressed by the view, room amenities, etc. Then I order room service... after an hour... still no food. I call room service back to follow up and heard "where did I put that ticket" from the person on the other end. At least they made up for it and got my order in the door within 15 minutes. Then I turn the TV on... the welcome screen comes on and never leaves... TV just freezes. Engineering had to come up and reboot TV service. The room has the single serve Keurig coffee makers and you can have two free cups per day. Perfect for me because I had 7.30 meeting next morning and wanted to have an early cup of coffee. I get up at 6, fire up the coffee maker... it doesn't work. I would probably still come back because of location and quality of room and beddings... but I hope they get these nuisance issues resolved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Rice Park
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jun_r
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

It is clear we had a perfect storm of issues surrounding your stay. My apologies for all of the inconveniences you encountered. Please trust that we are continually improving our guest experience. On your next visit, do not hesitate to contact me so that I may ensure a more "typical" experience with The Saint Paul Hotel.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Will not be returning ever again. Rude and unprofessional valet service especially. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the area. Just ruined our whole stay/trip with how everyone was there... Not happy.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Nicolenels
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

I am so sorry to hear you of your dissatisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me so that I have an opportunity to correct any issue.

David Miller
651-228-3801
dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Right from the start they treat you like a king. No hassle parking, room upgrade to a luxurious suite (no, not free but affordable), and a informed person to show you the ropes...Very quite, very comfortable, and clean. We ate at their restaurant and had a very good dinner with excellent service. I asked for two uncooked eggs, so I could cook breakfast from my leftovers in the room the next morning, and it was no problem. We never left the property and lacked for nothing. I'll be back - Thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Geoff D

Thank you so much! I hope you have recovered from all that snow in your area. Looking forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was in St. Paul for the Wild hockey game. The hotel was 1 block away and I was able to get to/from the Xcel Energy Center via the indoor walkway, so I didn't have to go outside to get to/from the game. It was -3 degrees in St. Paul so this was fantastic. A day after I checked out, I realized I left some items in the hotel room. I called the hotel at 10PM at night and was told by the staff that they found my items and would ship them to me for free.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business