“One of the best”

GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“One of the best”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel right in the middle of all of the action. Bathrobes, Aveda products, even qtips and cotton balls. Well appointed room, excellent snack options in the room. World class restaurant downstairs and wonderful breakfast restaurant as well. Extremely affordable, especially considering how beautiful. On Saturdays, they host a full high tea that you must make reservations for, well in advance I'm told.

The front desk help is well trained and courteous. When our fully stocked fridge had to be emptied to put our stuff in it, it tripped the sensors that trigger the charge for the beverages we moved. There were no hassles at all about removing the charges.

Let me add about the restaurant. It is worth going to even if you're not staying there. The food is exceptional, the wait staff is wonderful. We split orders amongst the 8 of us, sometimes at their suggestion. And they split the bills up appropriately. I would definitely go again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank islandmarsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St. Paul Hotel for the second time in 2 months for a night out on the town and a concert at the Fitzgerald Theater. We love the old school hotel atmosphere, a throwback to an earlier era. There is always lots of activities, weddings, jazz trio in the lobby, ladies in red hats, and high tea in the afternoon. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. It is a short walk to many dining and entertainment venues and Rice Park is just across the street with the statue of local hero F. Scott himself. I would say this is the place to stay for a sojourn in downtown St. Paul.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian M
Oregon
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Older hotel in the heart of St. Paul. The room decor matched the style of the hotel, bed comfortable, bathroom fine. As it is an older hotel, the rooms are a bit small. If you would like a coffee pot in the room, you have to ask for it - it is not in the room. The staff were very friendly. There were many weddings in the hotel and in the surrounding area so lots of activity in the hotel during our stay. Our room was cleaned late on our last day per our request. When we arrived back at the hotel that evening, we discovered the coffee pot had not been serviced and a stranger's underwear on the bench below the bed. It did not belong to us and the hotel was unable to give us a reasonable answer as to how it got there. We checked all of our belongings to confirm nothing was taken and the bed looked clean with new sheets. Very creepy. Definitely soured our opinion of the hotel.

Room Tip: Deluxe king facing the side street was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ORhiker
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed (most) of your stay. Thank you for reaching out through TripAdvisor. After your departure we contacted you to discuss the situation further. Please feel free to call me at 800-292-9292.

Thank you.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you stay at the St. Paul hotel make sure you avoid staying in a room that ends in 09 because your room backs up to the elevator and every time it goes up or down you hear it in the room. When I requested to change rooms they would not accommodate me changing rooms. I will never spend another dime at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Elevator backs up to rooms that end in 09 so request another room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brad B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2013

During our recent short but eventful stay, I'm convinced the St Paul Hotel was being run by a group of interns that were new to the biz. Everyone was nice and smiley, but our visit was full of mistakes and annoyances that surely experienced hotel operators wouldn't make.

Highlights:

* We booked connecting rooms; Ambassador suite and a deluxe room. Reservation agent told me upon booking that the deluxe room would have two beds when we arrived. Just to be sure, I called the hotel the day before to confirm two beds not one. Spoke to the same man in reservations. He assured me there was nothing to worry about and the connecting room to the suite will definitely have two beds. I should've worried. Arrived at 7pm with my wife and four boys. Wait for it..... Connecting room had one bed.

* I asked upon arrival if we could have extended checkout. Quick answer with a smile, "No, I'm sorry we cant extend checkout". I asked if she could check to see if they were maybe not booked allowing us to stay a bit longer. Wouldn't check. Just gave me the same scripted answer. Charming.

* Went to print out boarding passes at business center. Had to pay .75 cents for every printed piece of paper after the "complimentary two". Listen, "interns", I'm spending $700 to stay here for one night. In St. Paul Minnesota. How about just charging me $702 and not having the cheesy extra charges.

* Morning of checkout and the bill had been slipped under the door. I briefly glanced at it and saw $180 for a bottle of wine at the hotel's restaurant, St Paul Grill, from the night before. While I love the St Paul Grill and would've been more than happy to have had dinner there including the expensive bottle of vino, I was somewhere else.
Quick call to the front desk. You can guess the reply. "Oh, shoot. Sorry about that. We'll reroute it."
Went to checkout several hours later, paid with my credit card and - shocker - the $180 wine charge was still on there.

We've been going to the St Paul Hotel for 15yrs. Like the place and overlook the obvious need for modernization. But the clumsy amateur service is too much. Have to move on.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank mike_chicago_60093
Thank you for your review of the Saint Paul Hotel. It sounds like we fell far short of expectations on your most recent visit. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication on the room type and bottle of wine. As I cannot attempt to make things right for you through TripAdvisor, I would be happy to speak directly with you. I can be reached at 800-292-9292. I would hate to see 15 years of loyalty go away. Thank you.

David Miller
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel has a great location in the heart of St. Paul, and is on the quality end of the spectrum which is reflected in the pricing. This was a business trip, so I was pretty disappointed to be put in a room close to the elevator - as was another of my colleagues. This was not such an issue on the arrival night as it was the weekend, but every other morning I was awoken by the sound of the elevator which was pretty constant. Admittedly I didn't ask to change rooms, as by the time I realised how noisy the elevator was I'd already unpacked and didn't want the hassle of repacking and changing rooms. The room was also - by my experience of US hotels - very small. It's part of the charm of the hotel, but the rooms are very old fashioned.
The lobby in the hotel is lovely, very pleasant to spend time in, and the M Street Cafe for breakfast was also very good - excellent food and good value.
The bed was extremely comfortable, and without the sound of the elevator I think I would have had a good night's sleep. The bedroom and bathroom were both clean.
All in all a nice hotel, but given the issues with the elevator noise it's not somewhere I would choose to return to.

Room Tip: avoid a room ending in 09 - near the elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. You are correct in that a few of our rooms are near the elevator, and those in particular are smaller than the rest. Please reach out on your next visit, and we will assure you a larger room. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the other components of your stay!

David Miller
Peoria, Illinois, USA
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We only stayed here for one night but could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. Our king room was spacious, comfortable, and very well-appointed. We stayed on a seemingly very busy Saturday night. After leaving once and returning to the hotel, the adjacent parking deck was full. We were disappointed but did the valet parking on recommendation from the front desk staff and were pleased with the service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends