“My new favorite!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
“My new favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful suprise this hotel was! I usually stay at another "chain" hotel when in St Paul, but was ready for a change! This exceeded all expectations! All the staff was friendly and accommodating and even kept me posted on a venue ending time! And cheese cake room service for my teenagers post concert was a great treat at 1am !!! Rooms were spotless, beds comfy, very quiet! Maybe too quiet, since we overslept! Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2013
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
And we can't wait for you to come back! Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. There are plenty of good concerts coming to the Xcel, so we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I travel for a living and stay at many hotels all over the country. I've stayed at the St. Paul five times now, once for a three week stint. The service is amazing, the grand old hotel is beautiful and the restaurant on the premises, The Saint Paul Grill is first class. The location on the square with such beautiful buildings just adds to the experience. For a real treat, visit during Winter Carnival, the ice carvings and beautiful lights right outside the front door are amazing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Over the February 22 and 23rd weekend 2013 stayed at St. Paul Hotel on the 8th floor facing the big cathedral. Were there for the Prairie Home Companion Garrison Keillor live show. Awesome hotel...beautifully decorated in European style, friendly helpful attentive staff from the outdoor car valet guys to the concierge. Lovely clean room and bathroom with comfortable bed and cozy linens. The bed pillows are thicker than I would have liked and there is no in room coffee pot however, room service had our ordered pot of coffee to our room in 10 minutes. There is a fabulous restaurant in the hotel, The St. Paul Grill ! Food was so delicious we ate there both Fri and Sat nite ...An incredible lamb appetizer , delicious Walleye Pike, roasted tenderloin and spinach salad and Argentina wine, the Malbec. Must make reservations. Hotel is walking distance to the Fitzgerald only 10 min walk. The show was one of the top five best stage shows I have seen anywhere in the world. Would highly recommend both. Have a great weekend.

Room Tip: Don't know if they had a spa or pool. Rooms were super quiet and bright and each have their own...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for a competition, and found it splendid. The lobby is much more beautiful than the pictures, and the doorman was very friendly. The hotel is very historic, and is probably the only true luxury hotel in the minneapolis-st.paul area. The rooms are rather small, but I guess that's normal. The bathroom is great, the shower has great waterpressure, while beds are fantastic. The gym, had great views of the cathedral. Downstairs breakfast was pretty good for the price. I had the eggs benedict, and it was great. A truly historic and wonderful place.

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had room 1207, top floor and same floor as fitness center. This room overlooks the city so you can view the cathedral of St. Paul and also the Mississippi River! It's been newly refurbished and very well appointed. Room service was very accommodating as well. The one drawback is that if you have a car the valet will park it and you can get it yourself if you like but the lot is ten floors with no elevator. So every time you want to leave it's either finding your car or another tip, coming and going. But the location of the hotel is great and Minnesota nice is the flavor of the day. Good food in the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Not sure where the newly refurbished rooms are but ask for those and the twelfth floor on the front...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Killeen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed the night of February 19, 2013. We arrived about 3pm and check in was pleasant and without any difficulties. Our room was on the 4th floor corner, overlooking Rice Park. The view was beautiful and our room was perfect. A four poster bed, desk, sofa and chair. The bathroom was clean and I loved the granite counter tops. Service was amazing!!! At the front desk they asked us what our plans were and we told them we were going out to dinner that evening. They suggested that we sign up for shuttle service to the restaurant, which we did. We stopped in the Hotel Restaurant, St. Paul Grill and Bar, and was not only impressed with the warm friendly service and selection but the ambiance was wonderful. The art work reflected times long gone, and the dark rich wood booths and tables gave an amazing rich feeling as well as comfort.

The service at this Hotel was amazing! We requested the turn down service, which came with a chocolate mint and a bottle of water. The shuttle ride to the restaurant was warm and friendly and they dropped us off at the door. It was very cold here in Minnesota that night (-14 degrees), so when we were finished with our meal we called for the shuttle to pick us up and return us back to the hotel. However, the shuttle had made a trip somewhere with some other patrons, so we were left without a ride back. I googled a couple of taxi companies and they kept giving me different numbers to call, finally after my 4th call, I called back to the Hotel. I told them my situation and she took my phone number, called us a cab, gave the cab company my phone number so we could wait inside and called me back to let me know the taxi would be there for us within ten minutes. When we returned to the Hotel they met us and were relieved we had made it back without any problems!!!

What a warm, wonderful, friendly place!!!! We loved it and can't wait to go back again!!!!

Thank You Saint Paul Hotel for making our stay so wonderful!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Patty1of4_MN
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Saint Paul is a superior hotel and manages to capture a bit of a grand old dame feeling. The staff goes out of their way to provide you a pleasurable experience all the way.
Location: downtown St.Paul. Could not be more central.
Rooms: Spacious, clean, with ok size bathrooms. I had a very comfortable king-size bed. Style is classic American.
Service: excellent all the way.
Ambience: classic.
Bars/restaurants: the grill and bar serves superb food and is a great place for drinks.
Other: the gym is relatively small with a few cardio machines and a small selection of free weights. Downtown St.Paul is mainly a business area and there is not much going on after 5 pm.
All in all a great experience and I can recommend the Saint Paul Hotel warmly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business