“Classy Accomodations With Excellent Staff”

The Saint Paul Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Classy Accomodations With Excellent Staff”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spending several days at the St. Paul Hotel is always a pleasure.
Rooms are comfortable and well-appointed...what a pleasure to have a magnifying mirror in the lavatory. The staff is warm and welcoming. There is a well-equipped business center with complimentary Wi-Fi. We ate in two hotel restaurants, and both food and service were outstanding in each. Shuttle service to the airport was convenient and fast. This is a great old-fashioned hospitality hotel. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Probably a good idea to request a floor with no wedding parties in residence!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank frequentravelor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I used to stay at the St Paul Hotel frequently but I hadn't for a few years until last week. The place hasn't slipped at all. It is still the elegant and genteel old world place that it has always been. The service is impeccable everywhere from the valet parking desk to the front office. You will be properly addressed, the doors will be opened for you, they will do all they can to make things right at the St Paul. The rooms are clean, elegant and yet modern. The beds are fantastically comfortable and the place very quiet too. There is nothing that I can add but it is a great elegant experience at the St Paul. For events in downtown St Paul and the Ordway, this is the very best. There are also many good restaurants within walking distance offering from sports bar, microbrew to ethnic and elegant. The hotel also has two restaurants. The Grill is one of the finest place downtown. You will be happy to stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kawidd
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is one of those that brings back an earlier time without losing any of today's comfort and terrific customer service. I love staying here and wish I had a reason to return often. The rooms are extremely comfortable although I did have a loud couple next door and the connecting door wasn't thick enough to keep out the noise of the television or their talking. But, that was a small thing compared to the enjoyment I get out of staying here. One of the helpful services they provide is a complimentary ride to places within a certain area of St. Paul, but I've always been able to take advantage of that. This is an elegant hotel and I highly recommend it to anyone making a trip to St. Paul.

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the park. This way to see the lovely little lights in the trees as well...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jessica A
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed November 15, 2012

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel in my eyes, you have found it with the St. Paul Hotel. Everything was perfect. Our room was beautiful, the service was excellent, and the restaurants were wonderful. Any request we had was fulfilled quickly and efficiently.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pelham, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed one night as part of a package with the American Queen Steamboat Co. The hotel is understated elegance with professional service. Our room 426 was on a corner that overlooked the park. The room was comfortable and appeared to be newly decorated. The bed was super comfortable, but since I am short, I needed to stand on the end of the bed frame in order to get in the bed! No biggy.

The hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to many restaurants. I wouldn't recommend Trattoria da Vinci though.

We'd stay at the Saint Paul hotel again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fudgbug
maine
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Love staying in this historic, but modernized hotel in the heart of st paul. Beds are comfy, rooms are spacious and clean, rooftop fitness center offers good equipment and great views. Fireplaces, wallpaper, rich carpeting, dark wood, attentive staff, and make this a great business hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Saint Paul is elegant and classically comfortable. Rooms are of a good size for a more historic property. Nice large bathroom vanity. Good marks all around from me regarding the room.

I hesitate to elevate this review to a higher level because of an experience that I had at breakfast one morning. Firstly, upon calling the desk for a Wall Street Journal I was informed that their WSJ's had not been delivered. Its a Wednesday morning, you mean to tell me that you can't have someone go to a news stand to grab a few papers seeing as most of your guests midweek are business travelers?
The real problem occurred once I arrived to breakfast at the Cafe. It was understandably busy but I was seated immediately. I had about 45 minutes to eat before leaving for an appointment. I waited about 10 minutes for me server to get to me. No coffee-- no water -- no "I'll be with you in a minute" -- nothing. A middle-aged man was seated at the table next to mine. The server then decided to pay attention to me. Throughout my meal, she checked in with the man several times but only stopped to see me at the end. I had to wave her down for a coffee refill.

Her blatant sexism is sad. I hope she got the monster tip that she was clearly expecting from the middle aged man. Don't worry though, she got one from me although I didn't intend to leave it for her. Upon leaving my inclusive voucher for the check, she proceeded to WRITE IN tip that was later charged to my room.

I travel often for business and have never felt neglected or poorly served based on my gender or age until this time. Its sad. I can say that the following morning, I had a better server who was attentive and deserving of the large tip that I ELECTED to leave her.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business