“Wouldn't stay again”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Wouldn't stay again”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

It pains me to say that I would not stay here again. The staff is wonderful and more than helpful, the cookie upon checking in delicious and definitely hit the spot, was provided with toiletries that I left at home on accident. But that is really where it ends.

Upon arriving, really wasn't sure where to go. Just figured I should pull in where the sign said registration but the circle drive was loaded with cars of others checking in. After waiting for a spot and checking in, I was informed there was a $15 fee for parking. This really isn't a huge deal but it would have been much better if this was explained while booking. Especially for corporate travel where I am required to stay within a specific budget for all of my expenses for the day.

Checking in was easy and again, the staff was great. I was put on Hilton Honors floor and thought the extras (bottled water, additional toiletries) were really nice. Had an issues with my heater making a really loud clicking noise every few minutes. Called customer care and an engineer was sent up immediately. Really quick response time and after spending about a half hour investigating and attempting to correct, the engineer contacted front desk to have my room moved. I was told no HHonors rooms were available and I would have to switch to room on lower floor which I agreed. I was moved to the ninth floor.

Waking up the next morning to a room that was 65 degrees was not what I expected. I set the thermostat to 73 thinking maybe I didn't have it up high enough and it would have plenty of time to warm up while I was at work. Unfortunately, I returned back after work to a room still at 65. Again, notified front desk and engineer came right up. Just after being informed of the issues and turning heat off, then back on, the engineer was called to another room. He did say something about making sure something was turned on but quickly left. After about a half hour of sitting in the chill, I called the front desk to find out what was going on (was the issue fixed?, was the engineer coming back?) and was told it should be fixed but they would send him back up if I wanted. After coming back up I was offered a space heater. The heater did help to make it reasonable to sleep but it was by no means "warm". I wasn't really offered any sort of apology. The staff was quick to notify and send up an engineer, but no one apologized for the inconvenience that I experienced with not having a comfortable room during my stay in January.

Overall, I think the staff was great and I enjoyed the little extras but I wouldn't stay here again because what was NEEDED to be comfortable was not provided. There are better hotels in the same price range that would provide the basics like warmth.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. In addition, I talked to the staff and as you mentioned they were friendly they could have demonstrated even more empathy. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.
Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
black river falls, WI, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Thought it was a very nice hotel- everything very close by which made dining and parking very convienent. Parking however is $15, which is the going rate for the area- Thought the warm chocolate chip cookie was a nice touch :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks for the great review John! Always know you can have as many of those warm chocolate chip cookies as you want. Come visit us again soon!
Minneapolis, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Everything was very nice. I was not expecting the lobby to look so lovely. My friends even had some of their wedding pictures done there. The rooms were very nice, comfortable beds! The atmosphere was great

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Melony
Thank you for the nice comments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and were even able to take some great pictures!
Stop by and see us again soon.
Duluth
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My BFF and I stayed here last weekend. Nice hotel upon entering, appeared clean. We were greeted by such nice and friendly hotel clerks. And on top of it nice warm cookies that were yummy!! The room was clean, updated, with nice amenities. It was -20 the night we stayed, our room stayed nice and warm. Service excellent, all staff from clerks to bartender were very pleasant and "Minnesota Nice". I would stay here again hands down.

Room Tip: Away from elevator, high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful review!
Warm cookies, warm staff and a warm and cozy room on a cold night. Glad we had the opportunity to serve you and show you our WARM hospitality!
St Paul, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We will not stay here again. The price was too high, the room was too hot, we could easily hear guests in the hallway and no hot tub. I know they did not have it advertised that they had a hot tub but many hotels that have a pool also have a hot tub and we assumed since there was no Jacuzzi suits at this hotel there must at least be a hot tub in the pool area to relax in. We were very disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the hallway noise. Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Cedar Falls, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Checked in for our 33rd anniversary. The Hotel was beautiful. The room was fabulous. The staff absolutely wonderful. Restaurant and entertainment suggestions were top notch. We could not have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We hope to see you again on your 34th anniversary!

Duluth, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The rooms are in good condition with comfortable beds. The staff is courteous. The only thing that I could recommend is providing hotel guests with a discounted parking rate. Currently, it is a $15 dollar charge to park overnight in the adjacent ramp. This is the same price for guests and others in the area. A slight discount would be nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Timothy
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.