“Needs improvements” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Saint Paul
Wisconsin, United States
“Needs improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Few things to know. I am a gold member and they upgraded me to a king deluxe corner room. When I checked in the person checking me in said that it was a larger room. I was not impressed at all. If I wasn't running late for a prior engagement when I was checking in, I would have request a different room.The corner room was tight and not any bigger than a standard room. I ended up on the south east corner. When I was leaving the next day, the cleaning person was cleaning the northwest corner room and that one was much larger. SO if you go there, request the northwest corner room. . .it has more windows too. The southwest corner room only has one small window and its off to the side.
I kind of lucked out. I booked the weekend getaway which included parking and breakfast. I don't usually pay attention to this because I choose the free breakfast as a gold member so I get free breakfast whenever I travel. But when I went to breakfast the waiter told me that the free breakfast is only continental. The waiter was nice enough not to charge me because I wasn't told but imagine how embarrassed I was when I started eating the hot items on the buffet when I shouldn't have. I thanked the waiter and checked with the front desk. As a gold member, that is true I only get a continental breakfast BUT because of the package I booked, I got the full breakfast and was given the right ticket. Waiter just didn't know the difference in the tickets apparently.
I personally would not pay the amount they are charging for the breakfast. It was expensive for what was offered. After seeing the prices, I wasn't surprised that the place was pretty dead in the morning.
Service from staff was EXCEPTIONAL. Every interaction was great. I was charged for parking when I wasn't supposed to be but front desk corrected it right away.
I did not get a chance to see the pool so cant rate that.
Overall, rooms are ok. I personally think the hotel needs an update and get some larger suites. Staff was great, location good. But I probably would only stay here again if there was a special rate as I wasn't impressed with the hotel itself. But I admit, my tastes might be higher than most. Which to be honest, is the result of staying 30+ nights a year in hotels.

Room Tip: If you request a corner, request the northwest corner.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hi Adam
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry about issuing you the wrong breakfast coupon. I was glad to hear the staff took good care of you regardless of the coupon you presented. Hope to see you again soon.

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Indianapolis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The DoubleTree in downtown St. Paul is a great hotel, with an excellent location downtown. It is very walkable to local businesses and restaurants and has perfect accommodations for business travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

New Ulm, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hotel worked great for my family trip to the Wild hockey game at the Excel Energy Center. We were able to utilize the indoor walkways from the hotel to the Excel - never had to deal with the cold outdoors.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Seattle, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Pros: very friendly staff, great location, easy in and out parking, close to highways and my family. Cons: strangely very stratchy sheets with a weird basketweave pattern on them. My husband and I and my sister and her husband (who were in a different room) all experienced this. Also, we all were unhappy with the very noisy fan/HVAC system. There was also a black splash mark near one of the hinges on the bathroom door the entire 4 nights we stayed there which was at my exact eye level when I was seated in the bathroom. There was also a piece of hair in the sheets that was manifestly a different color than mine or my husband's. Other than that, though, the room was cleaned promptly and thoroughly each day. Finally, the bathtub stopper had to be completely pulled out so the tub would drain - I was standing in ankle deep water throughout my first shower. However, when we mentioned a lot of these problems at checkout, the front desk staff was very responsive and gave us a really good discount on our stay. Overall - great service, poor physical plant, ergo an "Average" rating. We did not eat at the hotel, but there is a food court just outside of the hotel's second level which has lots of great and not-so-expensive choices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

La Grange, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We attended a wedding in St. Paul, and we were very happy with the service, the attitude of the staff, the breakfast, the cookies, and the room itself. The lobby is small, but we didn't really need a lobby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Visiting for Thanksgiving. perfect base of operations. everyone we encountered on the staff pleasant and helpful looking forward to staying again. The hotel is silent. Never slept better! not much to do in the immediate area. Make sure you have a car available.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

A very nice hotel conveniently located downtown. Staff was very friendly. There were a few issues - couldn't get the temperature right in the room, one of the bath towels had a hole in it - but, all in all, not a bad business trip experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you Daniel for the wonderful comments about your recent stay. I have already met with the housekeeping supervisor about your towel. We look forward to seeing you abain soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Paul
Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
#5 of 18 in Saint Paul
3.5 of 5 stars 275 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitol Ridge

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown? Share your experiences!