“Home away from home - great place to stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stay at this hotel every week for 8 months and I love the friendliness of the staff. The restaurant/bar staff are super friendly and always greet my team and I by name. The location is great too with lots of great choices for dinner. The skywalk (skyway) makes the winter in Saint Paul tolerable. Most of the restaurant choices are accessible from the skywalk. Great experience

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Good location, personnel very very polite and helpful, room was nice and spacious enough, bed was very comfortable. There were several stains on the carpeting, I am not sure why they would take care of everything else, but not bother to clean something like this that is so noticeable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The time spent in the hotel was nearly as memorable as the wedding venue as our family all stayed there together. One particular desk clerk took on my mission as Mother of the Groom to help assure the wedding bedroom was a special experience! She was a jewel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Karen N
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

It's a place primarily to sleep and it is close to some decent restaurants. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom is awkward but there were no creepy crawly things. I would stay here again if I was forced to go to MN on business again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

The Doubletree chain is the most inconsistent of the Hilton properties. Well, this one is on the low end of the spectrum. The front of the hotel is obscured so there is no presence from the street, a very unattactive aspect for a hotel. The drive up to it is very unattractive as is the small and odd lobby. The second floor where is restaurant is has this large hall that it is not actively used. Again, it is a very choppy architecture for a hotel. The rooms have a dingy feel to it. The toilet had a stain in the bowl and the shower was dirty and the shower curtain was stained in may places. It was a terribly uncomfortable experience. There just isn't much of a standard there. Even the warm cookie that is so much part of the Doubletree brand was in this case hard and very brown. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank kawidd
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements that are currently underway.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is in the heart of downtown Saint Paul. The room decor is very beautiful. Parking was a problem though. It cost $15/night to pack at the public parking ramp next to the hotel. I got the best value for the hotel because I had a staff discount. There are so many fun things to do around the hotel. It was very close to where the event we went for, took place. Which made it very convenient for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I travel pretty extensively, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about traveling and staying at hotels.

We stayed at the DoubleTree in downtown St. Paul, due to my friend having a room block here for her wedding. When we arrived we checked in. There was only one person at the desk. When she looked up our reservation (we booked one night, then the remaining three at the special room block price), she only saw us staying the one night (she found the other three nights). I was disappointed because 1. They were out of cookies. This was a bigger strike for me considering we were the only ones checking in. It was also disappointing because it's not like there were massive amounts (0 people) in the lobby waiting for cookies. 2. When we got to our room, I noticed a STRONG smell of smoke on the entire 10th floor. I've been to enough hotels in my time to know that if you request a nonsmoking room, you get a nonsmoking room. I hate the smell of smoke.

We put our things down and headed back down to the lobby to see if they could give us any suggestions about a nearby bar/restaurant. The staff member up front kept pushing the hotel bar. I get you have to try and sell your bar to the guests, but geesh, we asked a few times, finally she gave up and gave us directions to a place up the street.

The next day we were supposed to switch our room to where the room block was. The staff members at the hotel didn't even know where the room block would be. My thoughts on this are: if this has been planned out (and a room block isn't anything you do on a whim), you'd know where the room block would be. The staff asked if we wouldn't mind staying where we were at. I did mind, but my guest neglected to tell them.

The appearance of the hotel rooms are mediocre at best. We had a red stain on the carpet right when you walked into our room (not a great first impression). While it looks like they've tried to modernize this hotel, it needs some serious work.

We were disappointed to see that the one day we actually tried to get a bite to eat at the hotel bar/restaurant, they didn't open until after 4:30 pm.

The business office was closed for any printing/internet needs one could have had. Luckily one of the front desk people offered to print out something for us.

We did have breakfast at the hotel one day, because we were given vouchers by our friend who was getting married. The server wasn't too polite and after we handed him our vouchers, we didn't see him again for juice/coffee/water refills. Even if you have a voucher a server shouldn't assume you won't tip. Pretty bad service if you ask me. We didn't go back for breakfast again after that experience (even though it was gratis).

All in all I won't be coming back. The experience was little to be desired and this hotel needs some definite upgrades. Thanks to being put in a smoking room, my entire luggage and all new things I bought at the mall now reek of smoke.

My tip: Spend a bit more and stay in downtown Minneapolis. There’s way more to do and I’m assuming more updated accommodations.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CostaRicaChica75
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Again, thank you for your comments and also the opportunity for me to talk with you in person on the phone. As we discussed, we are working on the red stain in your room. I was happy to learn that you were able to receive that warm Doubletree cookie that evening. The front desk staff should always offer a cookie card to be redeemed when they temporarily run out. Lastly, we appreciate your comments about our courteous staff. I'm glad that each one you had contact with treated you with warm hospitality. We hope to see you again.
Brian Schmechel