“Winter requires heat”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I stay here on business due to its location. During this trip, I could not get the thermostat to go above 62F. They came to "service" it while I was out. It still did not work and started making terrible noises. The only thing the front desk offered was a free breakfast - that doesn't "fix" the problem. The room also did not look clean. I emailed Hilton about this and never got a reply.

• Stayed: December 2012
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

We were very sorry to hear about your heating problem in your room. As we make every effort to solve any problems that come to our attention, we obviously fell short in this matter. I hope we had the opportunity to move you to a different room and not just offering breakfast for your inconvenience. I will be sure to follow-up with the staff as we work to ensure all our guests are completely satisfied during their stay.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Location was great during the Winter Carnival, just a couple of blocks away for walking distance. Lots of restaurants to walk to as well using Skyway or walking outside. Quality of room was excellent and the included breakfast was very good. Room service and service during breakfast was very nice, exception for the employee behind the counter when we arrived. His body language and "non-happy to greet us" tone made me think he had something else better he could be doing or maybe just having a really bad day. Probably could use a refresher in "Customer Service".

Room Tip: East side rooms show two huge buildings and the food court area from the skyway. Not much of a view...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here while I was in the city for a meeting. The rooms were ok and the reception staff were quite helpful. The interesting part of this hotel, was a door opening to the mall/ food court from the first/mezzanine floor with multiple food joints.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel since the business client was "next door". The ability to reach other restaurants using the sky bridge system was a big plus. The hot breakfast provided several choices: hot food, continental breakfast choices, breads, and juices. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. In the evening, team members could meet in the restaurant area which is adjacent to the bar for drinks and discussion.

The meeting room provided an excellent work area for the team. The afternoon treats, purchased by our management, provided a wide variety to satisfy everyone's snack cravings.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are available for Hilton Gold members
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that you were able to experience firsthand our friendly staff that is committed to provide our guest with memorable stays. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked using the specific hotel website. I booked a Smoking room and received written confirmation. Upon arrival, I was advised that the entire hotel was non-smoking and when I said I would move, I was told that there would be no refund because I had paid in advance.
I resigned myself to a smoke free evening and went to my room. It was a sauna...I was unable to reset the thermostat to a lower reading. I found a pill on the floor...it wasn't mine. Reception phoned me and woke me 2.5 hours after check-in to see if I had gotten into my room okay. What was that about? All in all, I will never stay at a Hilton again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you weren’t happy with your guestroom during your recent trip. We apologize that our hotel's non-smoking status was unclear when you were booking. In addition, Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here 3 to 4 nights a week nearly every week the last half of 2012 (for business).

The front desk staff is excellent -- very friendly, very helpful.

Rooms were clean and completable, but a bit dated. Bathrooms were small but serviceable.

This is not a destination hotel, but for the price it the best bet for business travel in St. Paul.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are a bit larger than the others. Some rooms have a nice view of downtown and the c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Matt846
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked this hotel on Priceline for $70 per night including all taxes for one night after attending a concert at Excel Center. We checked in and were given two bottles of water and a nice hot cookie. The water was for being HHoner Members. The lobby is beautiful. It's on the ground floor. They have a nice little restaurant on the 2nd floor along with a banquet room. Pool is on the 3rd floor. We wanted a room on a higher floor with extra pillows and when we checked in we were on the 15th floor and had extra pillows. Some of the reviews stated that the rooms were dated. I would say this is a 3 1/2 star hotel. It is fine for a night or two. For the price it was nice. Here are some pro's and con's:

Con's:

*Rooms are small and so are the bathrooms. When in the shower the soap dish hits your elbows.
*Parking is $15 which I thought was to expensive for one night
*I did see what previous posters noted - dust on the filter in the bathroom that is at eyesight (should be changed every six months)

Pro's:

*Great location - we walked all through the skyway to the Excel Center (12 minute walk)
*Crabtree and Evelyn products in bathroom
*Room clean (except filter in bathroom)
*Bed comfortable
*Nice fridge, microwave and coffemaker
*Fresh, clean sheets
*Excellent Views
*Huge windows at the elevator locations so you can take in the views

The staff seemed fine except we received a call at 8:00 AM asking if we had called a cab. It was the front desk and she didn't identify herself when she called. She just said "did you call a cab? I said no and she said, oh OK then I must have wrote down the wrong room number". As we checked out at the front desk it was the same person as the one who called earlier and the couple next to me didn't have there cab yet. She must not have figured out the correct room number. She really lacked training and was so quiet I couldn't hear what she was saying to me. Maybe she was new?

We didn't find anything in our room that was broken or moldy as previous posters had said. The hotel is older but I thought it was consistent with out 3 - 3 1/2 stars in the area. I would stay here again for a night or two but if I were staying a full week would probably go closer to Mall of America in a newer hotel.

Room Tip: I like a room on a higher floor so I can have a better view. We were next to the elevator and could...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple