“Miserable experience”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Winona MN
“Miserable experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked using the specific hotel website. I booked a Smoking room and received written confirmation. Upon arrival, I was advised that the entire hotel was non-smoking and when I said I would move, I was told that there would be no refund because I had paid in advance.
I resigned myself to a smoke free evening and went to my room. It was a sauna...I was unable to reset the thermostat to a lower reading. I found a pill on the floor...it wasn't mine. Reception phoned me and woke me 2.5 hours after check-in to see if I had gotten into my room okay. What was that about? All in all, I will never stay at a Hilton again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you weren’t happy with your guestroom during your recent trip. We apologize that our hotel's non-smoking status was unclear when you were booking. In addition, Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here 3 to 4 nights a week nearly every week the last half of 2012 (for business).

The front desk staff is excellent -- very friendly, very helpful.

Rooms were clean and completable, but a bit dated. Bathrooms were small but serviceable.

This is not a destination hotel, but for the price it the best bet for business travel in St. Paul.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are a bit larger than the others. Some rooms have a nice view of downtown and the c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Matt846
minnesota
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked this hotel on Priceline for $70 per night including all taxes for one night after attending a concert at Excel Center. We checked in and were given two bottles of water and a nice hot cookie. The water was for being HHoner Members. The lobby is beautiful. It's on the ground floor. They have a nice little restaurant on the 2nd floor along with a banquet room. Pool is on the 3rd floor. We wanted a room on a higher floor with extra pillows and when we checked in we were on the 15th floor and had extra pillows. Some of the reviews stated that the rooms were dated. I would say this is a 3 1/2 star hotel. It is fine for a night or two. For the price it was nice. Here are some pro's and con's:

Con's:

*Rooms are small and so are the bathrooms. When in the shower the soap dish hits your elbows.
*Parking is $15 which I thought was to expensive for one night
*I did see what previous posters noted - dust on the filter in the bathroom that is at eyesight (should be changed every six months)

Pro's:

*Great location - we walked all through the skyway to the Excel Center (12 minute walk)
*Crabtree and Evelyn products in bathroom
*Room clean (except filter in bathroom)
*Bed comfortable
*Nice fridge, microwave and coffemaker
*Fresh, clean sheets
*Excellent Views
*Huge windows at the elevator locations so you can take in the views

The staff seemed fine except we received a call at 8:00 AM asking if we had called a cab. It was the front desk and she didn't identify herself when she called. She just said "did you call a cab? I said no and she said, oh OK then I must have wrote down the wrong room number". As we checked out at the front desk it was the same person as the one who called earlier and the couple next to me didn't have there cab yet. She must not have figured out the correct room number. She really lacked training and was so quiet I couldn't hear what she was saying to me. Maybe she was new?

We didn't find anything in our room that was broken or moldy as previous posters had said. The hotel is older but I thought it was consistent with out 3 - 3 1/2 stars in the area. I would stay here again for a night or two but if I were staying a full week would probably go closer to Mall of America in a newer hotel.

Room Tip: I like a room on a higher floor so I can have a better view. We were next to the elevator and could...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MinnesotaGeocat
Berkeley, California
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We've stayed in this hotel 4 times over the past 6 years visiting family in the Cities, and the Doubletree (used to be Hilton Garden Inn) rooms that we've stayed in have not been upgraded or renovated during that time. They definitely need a facelift.

We've stayed in all of the hotels in central St. Paul, and we love this hotel for the location. There is one hotel nearby that is much worse, and the Doubletree is the only one nearby that is on the skywalk, with direct indoor connection in the dead of winter to coffee, lunch, Macy's, and even a decent bar. Very close to Meritage, an absolutely outstanding restaurant.

The staff are great, parking on the street or in a discount parking garage is more affordable than the valet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Bottom Line - No thanks, and probably not again.

I stayed for 4 nights in December 2012 and had a negative-leaning experience. I believe this is the only HHonors hotel in St. Paul; it used to be the Hilton Garden Inn (the mattresses are still the HGI type).

ROOM
I am Diamond VIP with HHonors, and upon check-in, they had assigned me to room 1760, which is on the top floor. The room had textured wallpaper reminiscent of what you would expect to find in the home of The Golden Girls. The carpet was quite worn, and the furniture was a mix between some (like the bed frame and side tables) that are maybe a few years old, and others (the chairs, ottoman and lamps) probably a few decades old. I moved one of the large chairs to make room for the ironing board, only to find the square spot (that the chair covered) full of dust. The carpet was green, and the square spot was grey. WTF!!!!! This hotel definitely had lazy housekeeping. I didn't even want to move any of the other furniture for fear of what I would find.

The bathroom was on the smaller side, but that wasn't the problem. The bathtub was in dire need of deep cleaning, and the fan sucked air in at the bottom, only to blow it back out on the top. If you imagine what a Motel 6 room smells like, that is what the bathroom smelled like (I highly suspected it to be mold) so I kept the door closed at all times! Also, regarding the bathroom fan, there was an engraved note on the front that stated "Replace Filter Every 6 Months," but when you looked at the filter, there was a huge nasty dust clump visible on the inside, as well as tiny dust clumps sticking to the slits in the cover. The fan was at eye-level right over the toilet, so it really shouldn't have been missed by housekeeping or maintenance... it definitely hadn't been cleaned in YEARS. DISGUSTING.

The walls are quite thin; I could hear the TV in the next room, so if you're sensitive to noise: beware.

SERVICE
A couple nights in to my stay, I called for fresh towels (since I decline housekeeping throughout my stay), but after 45 minutes, they still had not arrived. I had to call once again, and the gal (who initially took my request) all of a sudden remembered, and she did feel badly about forgetting. Aside from the lousy guest service response, the front desk agents are pretty nice and have a positive attitude. The star rating I assigned wasn't impacted by the service... more the (lack of) quality of the actual room.

RESTAURANT (BREAKFAST)
If you're Diamond VIP, they give you breakfast vouchers for the restaurant on the 2nd level. The breakfast is pretty basic; I would never pay for this particular one as the quality of the food is less than mediocre. I will, however, recommend the Meritage restaurant just a couple blocks away on St. Paul Street if you're looking for lunch or dinner. The escargots appetizer, the burger from the bar menu and the half crispy chicken are particularly fantastic.

PARKING
Parking is quite convenient, and the daily self-park rate is $15 per night with in and out privileges. There is street parking; it's pay by meter from 8a-6p, but I did notice a few broken car windows when I was walking on St. Paul Street a couple blocks away... The area is pretty deserted during weeknights as far as I could tell.

OVERALL
This is probably the most uncomfortable and disappointing DoubleTree experience I've ever had. Next time I'm working in St. Paul, I'm going back to the Westin Minneapolis (where I had stayed the previous week)... the commute from Downtown Minneapolis to Downtown St. Paul in the morning really wasn't that bad (about 15 minutes), and returning in the evening wasn't bad, either (15 minutes again).

Room Tip: High floor facing the quiet side IN ANOTHER HOTEL.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Rick S
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance and housekeeping team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show you the improvements.
Boston, Mass.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The staff are great. Lobby is looks good and includes everything you expect from a hilton hotel but the rooms are dated and not well kept. I have stayed 4 times in the past 2 months and all rooms had issues (mold, worn out items, broken taps, broken tv etc. I do expect a hilton hotel to spend more on maintenance. That being said, the staff in the restaurant and front desk are great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Let me say I was in town for business and only spent enough time in my room to sleep. The front desk folks were great, we arrived in town before check-in, they offered to hold our bags until we returned to check-in, and had warm cookies waiting then we returned. My room was clean and in great shape. The TV in the room was kind of small, guessing 20-24", but functioned. The skywalk connection to a nearby food court was great for that much needed coffee in the morning. My room had a coffee pot, etc, just decided to take the easy route. No complaints, would stay again when I'm in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your response. We enjoy hearing these responses as it relates to the appreciation of our warm and engaging stafff, and clean hotel. Yes, we agree with your comment on the average size TV's in the guest room. We are happy to say that larger TV's are in the plans for 2013. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.