“Very disappointed!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at this Embassy Suites. The first being almost a year ago for the VanHalen concert. I was satisfied then,so decided to return here for the Pink Concert. Big mistake! We arrived approx. 5:30 pm and both parking lots were full. We were told we had to park 3 blocks away in a parking garage on 7th.(which btw, there are 2 7th Streets and both have parking garages. It was very cold and a long walk. We got into the hotel and waited over 20 minutes to check in, and another 10 minutes for the elevator to take us up one level. No stairs in sight!! Upon entering our room, we were surprised to have a sauna for a room! The heat was untollerable! We were on the 2nd floor with no opening windows. Not only was our room hotter than an oven, it reaked of smoke and was a non-smoking room. Even the pillows smelled of smoke. I'd say an employee decided to take a break in this room! In the morning, we went down to the front desk and asked about a parking credit-not a chance. I was stuck with a $10 parking charge. I also expressed my dissatisfaction of our room, and again-nothing. On a positive note, loved the shuttle to the Xcel-if you're lucky enough to find your bus after the concert. The breakfast looked acceptable, and the lobby was safe, as we left our bags unattended-front desk was aware of them, and walked 3 blocks in 10* weather. I would stay again, given an early arrival-to avoid the parking garage, and I should have complained more of the smokey room and maybe gotten a different room-once again--early arrival is the key! This hotel needs more parking, vallet for those who have to park 3 blocks away! The new construction going on was tolerable.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Danita G
MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

If I may be of further assistance please free contact me personally at the hotel ay time

Charles Goldberg

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed one night for the Bob Seger/Kid Rock concert. It had been 20 years since I had stayed at this hotel, I didn't miss anything because I think it had been that long since any updates (or cleaning) had been done! There were 3 dirty socks in our room when we checked in! The parking situation was horrible. If you were lucky enough to get in the parking lot closest to the hotel, you were charged $15.00 a night. The lot was full when we got there at 5:00 PM, so we parked in the over flow lot at $3.00 a night. Unfortunately, we had to schlep our bags and coolers, etc. through the (full) parking lot to get checked in. The elevator situation was ridiculous, when we asked where the stairs were, the staff said we could use them, but it took us outside! We did not participate in the Happy Hour, I'm not picky when it comes to free beer, but warm Keystone Light wasn't on my list to try. The $5.00 bus ride to the Xcel was packed, but OK. We waited outside for 45 minutes to get picked up at the X to get back. The breakfast was decent, kind of a long wait in line for an omelet. Give me a buffet anytime. All in all, not worth the money, but it was cheaper than the potential DUI!

2  Thank Carrie B

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is a bit dated, with almost a French Provincial decor, and the ducks, waterfall and plants in the atrium/lobby are breathtaking. my reason for writing this review is too warn others of a incident that happened while we were checking in. While we unloading our car by the front doors of he lobby, a man came up and reached through my open door for my purse. my thirteen year old daughter yelled at him and he backed off and ran, but it was very troubling. Know, stupid of me to do but I come from a blessed area of the world where crime is practically non existent. after that evening, I walked out and their were several odd teenagers loitering outside the lobby. t really is a unique hotel, and I hate to speak negatively of it, but please watch yourself. It is not as safe of a neighborhood as most locals will lead you to believe. Including a St. Paul police officer I met.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NDfarmgirl

Thank you for writing the review of your stay on March 18th 2013. I am very sorry to hear of the incident that took place and have reviewed this with our Security company to ensure a more vigil patrol route is enforced. I honestly have to say that this is the first issue of this taht I have heard of in my 9 months as General Manager here, but I will certainly not take it lightly.

We share all of the reviews with our associates and will certainly make sure that everyone is trained on proper proceedures and policuies in regards to this type of situation or non guests loitering around the property.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed last night at this property because it was supposed to be close to Xcel Center where Kid Rock and Bob Seger performed. First, the parking situation-when I arrived at 5:00 p.m., the parking lot was full and you could not enter because an arm blocked entry. I pushed the "Call" button, but nothing happened. By now three vehicles were stacked behind me with no way to go anywhere. The friends I was meeting there came out from the lobby and got my luggage since I had to then back out and drive to the overflow lot. There was no ability to pull up to the door and unload because of the arm. The overflow lot was not owned by the property, and was signed $3 parking, $5 Event Parking. Not clear which category I fell into. Since I had no small bills and the lot was unmanned (you filled out an envelope with money and deposit in a box) I had to go check in and get change. I told them at the front desk that it was ridiculous that we couldn't enter the lot to unload and they told me if I had pushed the button they would have let me in. When I told her I had, repeatedly, she said they must have been busy with other customers. After checking in, I headed back out to the lot to deposit my parking fee before I got towed. As I walked through the lot, I saw multiple spaces open, so I hurried to the overflow lot, jumped in my vehicle and quickly drove back to the hotel lot. I was behind a truck that waited for the arm to be raised, then followed closely behind him before the arm came down again. It cost $15 to park in the hotel lot.

Next, the elevators. I travel a lot, and never have I experienced elevators like these. I waited at least 10 minutes for one to come down. I would have found the stairs and used them, but I had a week's worth of luggage with me that no way could have been hauled up the stairs. The first one that came, a workman wouldn't let anyone get on because they were using it as a "service elevator". When one finally did come, it was jammed full because so many people had gathered waiting to go up. And, after pushing a floor button, it took a good minute for the doors to close and finally start moving. This process was repeated at each floor it had to stop. Take the stairs, even if you are on the eighth floor. It will be much faster.

Next, the "Manager's Reception". I don't know which you had to wait for longer, the elevator or to get a beverage/food. So many people were there it was almost impossible to move around. There wasn't nearly enough seating, and didn't seem to have anyone cleaning tables when someone did leave. In retrospect, we were brilliant bringing our own beer. But, we did have to use the elevator to haul it up to the rooms. Get extra because you will have drank half of what you brought getting through the elevator ordeal.

The rooms. The lighting was questionable-should lights really flicker constantly when you turn them on? There were some very questionable stains on the carpet and it looked like someone had face-planted on the window. The toilet had some odd hairs on the back of the seat (I travel with Clorox wipes) and the sinks had difficulty draining. The vent in the bathroom was disgusting. The towels were nice and thick and over-sized and there were plenty since there was a sink in the bathroom and also the bedroom.

There seemed to be some sort of renovation going on (remember the workman and the elevator) and each floor had a section blocked off and plastic draped floor to ceiling on the atrium side. With that many rooms blocked off, there is no way the hotel could have been at full capacity, and still had many issues with too many people causing poor service. This property cannot handle crowds.

The lobby was filthy, especially the floor near the Registration desk. I can't imagine how long ago it had seen a vacuum. Also, we couldn't get a receipt for our stay because we were "Advanced Pay". I'm not sure what that meant and I booked on the hotel website, but as I was poorly explained they couldn't give me a hotel receipt because they didn't know and couldn't see how much we paid.

We tried to think of some positives of this property, and only could come up with towels being good. It was not that close to Xcel Center-no way in March with a recent snowstorm and a brisk wind could you walk.

1  Thank Margi S
MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

We are in touch with the guests that made the comments regarding their stay on March 16. We thank the guest for their comments and it is certainly a shame that this stay was not everything it should have been. Obviously there were attempts to make things better during the visit, but it simply was not enough to make this a great experience.

We will work with the associate at the desk that was involved in the parking situation, as there is never room for excuses just resolutions. We treat this as an opportunity to get better and counseling and training has taken place to ensure this does not happen again. Our service scores rank highly in Hilton and this certainly is not our standard. We will also be reviewing all comments with both our F&B team as well as our Housekeeping teams in an effort to improve both the quality and the service the hotel offers on a day in day out basis.

As a management team, we discuss these reviews and those that come through the Hilton system on a daily basis. Thank you again for your input and we look forward to our opportunity to deliver customer service that represents the cleanest and friendliest Hotel in Saint Paul.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations, something that should've been done at least 10 or 15 years ago. Construction won't be completed until June or July. At the moment room decor is horrible, 70's looking, I think my bathtub was green or blue. I've stayed several times at Days Inn and Comfort Inn that were much better decorated. Location right in downtown but no restaurants (except Jimmy John's and hotel restaurant ) within short walking distance. No grocery stores near by either. I could try to walk maybe but its was about 10-15 degrees outside.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback and I apologize that our renovations interrupted the comfort of your stay. As you mentioned they are scheduled to be completed July of 2013 but will be phased in with the first 21 brand new rooms scheduled to come back into service on or ariound March 11th with 21-28 rooms comming back every several weeks after that.. I hope that you will be able to see the improvements when they are complete. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We just spent a night at the Embassy Suites this past weekend attending a wedding which was held in the hotel's common area. We travel alot and have stayed in Embassy Suites properties before, really like the large room layouts, the Manager's Reception happy hour from 5-7, and the nice Irish Pub. The complimentary breakfast was also good. There were however several unacceptable things at this property which need to be mentioned.

1) Elevators were infuriatingly slow!!! We stayed on the 8th floor and we just dreaded every time we needed to use them. It took a long time to even get one to our floor and they ran so slowly that everytime we went down it would fill up with people before getting down and people couldn't get on and would have to wait for another.

2) Dirty Heating/AC Vents in our room. There was seriously caked dust/dirt which looked like it had been years since they were last cleaned. Made me almost want to clean it myself.

3) The toilet sometimes didn't flush, had to take the tank cover off and wiggle the float to get it to work.

Would not be in a hurry to stay here again, would probably look elsewhere next time we stay in downtown St. Paul.

1  Thank brads45

Thank you for the superb review that was given to our Hotel and friendly staff on March 5th. We appreciated your comments about our friendly staff. That is certainly something we are known for and expect every day. Thank you for sharing detail on what you found to make your stay enjoyable. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed both the evening reception as well as the breakfast.

We are also glad to have your input on things you would like to suggest to make us even better. A renovation of the hotel is currently underway. (I am glad that you were not bothered by it) and as part of the renovation, the elevators are going to be modernized and this will include making them more efficient and quicker for our guests to use. I have also reviewed the cleanliness issues with our Housekeeping team and we are committed to doing a better job and improving the quality of our guest rooms each and every day.

Once again, thank you for your input and kind words. We share all comments with our service teams to reward good service and to understand our opportunities for improvement.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Chefs that cook your hot breakfast in the morning are not only friendly, but cater to almost an egg lovers needs! Including those that prefer the "fake" eggs! The rooms are dated and a wee bit worn as the hotel has been waiting for a refresh for several years now. The beds are comfortable but the TV's don't work sometimes. The staff work to meet your every need and in room dining is better than most. The only thing to be warned of are the extremely slow elevators! They haven't been upgraded either. Just don't be in a hurry and enjoy the wonderful folks here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
MRDOSM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for the nice review that was given to our Hotel and friendly staff on February 25th. We appreciated your comments about our friendly Breakfast staff. That is certainly something we are known for and expect every day. Thank you for sharing detail on what you found to make your stay enjoyable. We are truly blessed with a great location and great people to deliver service day in and day out.

Thanks again for your kind words.