“Perfect for events at XCel Energy Centre”

Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed one night to see a hockey game at XCel Energy Centre. Easy check-in, clean, modern comfortable room, and just across the street from the arena.

(Food and drink was also good at hotel pub.)

Parking is an additional $15, but if you're going to an event, you need transportation anyway. It's a great choice if you're heading to Saint Paul for an event.

1  Thank JLA10
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Hi JLA10,

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a great stay and enjoyed our great location, efficient staff, clean rooms, and charming attached Irish pub and restaurant, The Liffey! We hope that you found parking to be both easy and convenient, and we'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're down for a game at the X! Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located near the Science Museum where we had a conference. Had no problem with underground parking - although wasn't clear that you needed the "card" to exit the ramp at end of stay. We thought it was for coming and going while at hotel. We should have asked maybe? They should have told us maybe. And crazy to me that you have to pay $14 for parking when the hotel is already overpriced in my opinion. But I guess you pay for convenience. There are many nice restaurants in walking distance - even when it's chilly out. The hotel bar was big and quiet. Nice place to grab a drink at night during weekday. The room itself was just average. On the smaller side, and bathroom was very small. When called down to get the WiFi password, she mentioned it was on the back of the room key holder. Again, maybe could have mentioned to us at check-in? Overall, average place to stay when looking for convenient location downtown St. Paul.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank behmt
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi behmt,

Thanks for reviewing our property! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and parking next to the hotel during your stay. We're also very pleased to hear that you liked our in-house pub and restaurant, The Liffey. It's newly-renovated with a great Irish ambiance--as you say, a wonderful place for a pint! We'd furthermore like to thank you for letting us know of the confusion with the internet access code and parking pass as well. We'll be sure to remind our front desk staff of the necessity of conveying this information to all of our guests at check in. Overall, we're pleased that you had a good stay but would love an opportunity to make another one great. We'll hope to see you again in the future and hope you'll let us know of anything we can do to make your stay excellent! Thanks again for the review, and we wish you happy travels!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I chose to stay at this hotel for one reason: the location. It's right across the street from the Xcel Energy Center. We went to a Minnesota Wild game and it worked out perfect--step out the front door of the hotel, go across the street, and you're at the game. It's also in a great location for a lot of fun spots for food and beverages.
You see a lot of people complaining about the pillows. I have to agree, they're not the best--rather small. We had a king room meaning 4 pillows. Two were labeled firm, the others I guess were soft. Anyway they made for tough sleeping when you're used to large pillows. The bed itself wasn't too bad. Not too hard--not too soft.
Noise can be an issue. Saturday night when a concert was letting out and the partygoers were coming back to the hotel you could hear them getting out of the elevator. But it wasn't real bad. Just rolled over and went back to sleep. A good idea is to request a room away from the elevators, that way you don't hear the "dinging" when the doors open on the floor. The speed of the elevators wasn't the fastest. But when you have a lot of people checking out at one time, you expect things to slow down a bit.
The hotel has a bar and dining room. We had breakfast on Sunday morning and the food was pretty good. Didn't really have any complaints about it.
There's a very small swimming pool and hot tub. The hot tub was very warm--guessing around 104 degrees. The pool was cold. When we went in, we were the only ones so we had it to ourselves.
The parking ramp is in a nice location--right behind the motel. If you come in during a special event, finding a spot can be a challenge. You may end up driving all the way to the top floors to get a spot. When it's slower, it's not so difficult to park.
All-in-all, it may seem expensive to stay at this hotel. However for the convenience of not having to drive around, being able to walk to the fun spots, and having a "good time" without worrying about having the law after you for driving when you shouldn't, it's well worth the price.
If I'm at an event at the Xcel again in the future, this will definitely be my first choice for a hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, request one that does not face the street. Also ask for a room farther a...

Hi Brian V,

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel! You noted many of the great aspects of our hotel--our great convenient location across from the Xcel Center and near many restaurants, our attached pub and restaurant, The Liffey, "not too hard--not too soft" (so just right!) beds, and our relaxing hot jacuzzi tub area! To make your stay even better next time, feel free to make use of the pillow menu found in all of our rooms. We can deliver up the perfect pillow to help you get a great night's sleep! Let our staff know if the pool is ever colder than it ought to be too. Our staff is happy to address such issues to make your stay more comfortable! We should note that we're happy you appreciated the parking ramp's convenient location next to the hotel as well! We'll look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the area! Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the location of the hotel and convenience of being across the street from the Xcel Center. I am however not sure if I would stay again or choose a hotel a little further away.
When we arrived we were checked in by a friendly lady at the desk. We waited awhile for the elevator but the hotel was busy with all the other hockey fans checking in. When we finally got to our room we discovered we had been given a room with two double beds instead of the king room I had booked and pre-paid for. We went back down to the desk with our bags to the desk again where the guy behind the desk told me I had requested two beds. I told him this was not the case and showed him my confirmation which specified the only request I made was I higher floor away from the elevator to escape city and hall noise. Apparently this translates to two beds when I booked a king room??
Anyway after him saying I will see if we have a king available and digging around in the computer he found one. We went up to the room, flicked on the light switch which does not seem control any lights and there is no light near the door. The wrong room also had the same issue. Both rooms also had a very strong orange smell that was very overwhelming. I am sensitive to scents and did not appreciate this strong smell.
The rooms are on the small size even with just one bed.
The bed is on the harder side and the pillows are ridiculously small. They are the size of large decorator pillows.
The shower is the usual hotel pressure and the shower head will not allow anyone over 5'11" to fit under it. The towels are again the typical small towels.
Parking is okay, they charge $14 + tax. It is in a parking garage and you are given a key card to get in and out. When you leave the garage, you come out on the other side of the hotel so you will need to go around the block to return the key card.
The tv channels were also messed up, The channel listed on hotel card and the guide did not match up to what showed on the tv. At one point of flipping through the channels, there was supposed to be a normal channel and it had adult tv on it.
The rooms do have microwaves and fridge which is nice.
Staff were basically friendly.
Overall I would not say this was the most comfortable hotel I have ever stayed in. Not sure I would stay again, likely not.

Hi CapturedTraveller,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're glad you were able to stay with us on your last visit to Saint Paul, and we hope that you had a wonderful time at the Wild game across the street! We're pleased to hear that you appreciated our ideal location across from the Xcel Energy Center! We are happy too that you liked the refrigerator and microwave in your room (standard in all of our rooms) and our friendly staff. We are happy that they were able to be responsive to your needs, but we are sorry to hear that there were multiple occasions where this would have been needed. We hope that you'll choose to stay with us in the future, and we'd urge you to let us know of anything we can do to make your stay better. We do offer a variety of pillows listed on a pillow menu in each of our rooms. We'd be happy to deliver these. We also have staff on site that can address any maintenance (TV) needs as well. Lastly, we'd note that the parking pass can just be dropped in a dropbox at the gate of the ramp. No need to come back in to drop it off! We'll hope to see you again in the future, and, until then, we wish you happy travels!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

When traveling to St. Paul for a conference this hotel was in a great location. Nearby restaurants made it easy to find a place to eat. The convention center is within easy walking distance. The hotel itself was nice and appeared to be well maintained. The staff were friendly and helpful, the cleaning staff did a great job and there is even an indoor pool/hottub. Overall a good place to stay. My only suggestion for improvement is working up a voucher system with attached restaurant for breakfast - the hotel itself provides no complimentary food service.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Hi mkmcnair,

Thanks for reviewing our property! We're overjoyed to hear about all of the positive aspects of your stay! Thank you for your kind comments on everything from our prime location, to our well-maintained and clean facility, to our friendly and helpful staff! While there is no voucher system for breakfast, we do hope that you were able to enjoy good food at a reasonable price in our classic Irish Pub & Restaurant, The LIffey. We'll hope to see you again the next time you visit the area! Until then, happy travels!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked this hotel due to the location to the Xcel center to go to a Wild hockey game. The location was perfect!!! Right across the street. The bed was comfortable. Room was small with alot of furniture, bathroom spacious. We accepted the room facing the Xcel Center which is on a busy road. Very noisy!! The noise through the room doors (thin doors) is unbelievable. People talking woke me up quite a few times, I had to finally use earplugs. The price was quite high, but paid it to be in walking distance of the game. I'm thinking that's why they charge the amount they do. They could at least include a free breakfast or something. I would not stay more than one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot. You won't get the street noise as bad.
1  Thank LoveMaui2011
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Hi LoveMaui2011,

Thanks for reviewing our property! We're delighted to hear that you loved our spectacular location next to the Xcel Center in downtown Saint Paul! We're also happy to hear that you appreciated various aspects of the room, particularly the spacious bathroom! We are sorry to hear that there were some noise issues however. As you say, rooms not facing the street tend to be quieter, but oftentimes people prefer rooms overlooking the street which have views of downtown Saint Paul and the Xcel. Furthermore, we always encourage guests to call us if they have any noise issues from within the hotel. On event nights, we have all of our guests sign our noise policy, and we employ security in order to address any noise concerns that may arise throughout the night. We always encourage guests to contact us if they have any issue! On the whole though, we are happy to hear that you appreciated much of what our hotel has to offer--from great location to clean guestrooms. We hope to see you again in the future, and, until then, we wish you happy travels!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

As others have said it's in front of the Excel center, and right next to I-94 which is very convenient. On the plus side I slept very well, partly thanks to my custom earplugs though. Beds are comfortable as are the pillows, typical HI. Room is very clean but it looks like they stopped remodelling half way through. You get new beds, a new tv, but stained old carpets and classic old looking bathroom. But it's clean and comfortable so not a biggie.

On the negative side the room smelled like toilet cleaner on the first night I was there. Pumping the heater/fan made the smell go away after a few hours. Also there was a very annoying loud low frequency buzzing coming from somewhere behind the bathroom wall. It would stop from time to time and when that happened the tv went out briefly and came back on. Without my earplugs I'd probably have asked for a different room. Also no free breakfast that I could see, which is a bummer when compared to the HI Express downtown mpls.

Definitely a step down from my last stay at the Hyatt Regency downtown mpls, but still comfortable and I would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hi Christian012,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's convenient location, comfortable beds, and clean rooms! We do our very best to ensure guests have great stays, and we are thrilled to hear we are doing well in these respects! It is true that, while we have a full-service restaurant offering room service, a full menu, etc at the hotel, we do not offer a continental breakfast; nonetheless, we think they offer very good breakfast options at a reasonable prices. The low-frequency sound/television issue you mentioned is unusual; thank you for letting us know of it, and we'll be sure to have our maintenance department look into it. In closing, we're happy that you found yourself able to get a restful night's sleep, and we hope to see you again in the future! Thanks again for the review, and we wish you happy travels!