“All the little things (not included).”

Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
Jonesboro, Arkansas
“All the little things (not included).”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I can understand being the unfortunate one who got a room over the loading area in the parking lot that's busy all night, however, real curtains so that i'm not woken at sun up, and kept up seems like an obvious feature that should have been there. Both clocks were wrong (10 min slow and 45 min fast). No conditioner day one but 4 bottles of awful body lotion! The thermostat needed to be set to 62 so that it would keep the room at 71, which it did do well. My associate's door lock had to be replaced, which delayed us an hour from going out. Coffee was not replaced for the second morning; just as well since it was expectedly horrendous. The shower temperature took 15 min to adjust and then mid wash changed so drastically i almost broke my neck fleeing the scalding heat. The have cute pillows labeled by firmness which is good because they are so lumpy you wouldn't know otherwise. As always the iron almost ruined my clothing. WiFi network was corrupt and caused "blue screening".
...staff was friendly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank j_phillip_stewart
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear j_philip_stewart,

Thank you for writing a review of our property, but we are terribly sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay. We strive to make all our guests' stays great ones, and most reviews (including those on Tripadvisor) we receive from guests show that this is only rarely not accomplished. Where we do not live up to our goals and your expectations, we always try to make amends. In order to better accomplish this, we ask that you contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with our Front Office Manager. Alternatively, please feel free to provide us with an email address or phone number and we will be glad to contact you. Once again, thank you for bringing all of this to our attention and for reviewing our property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Rapid City
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 10pm. They were very friendly at the check-in desk and they had bell carts ready for us. Everything looked clean. We checked out the pool and while small, it was open until 11pm so that was great because after the long car ride, the kids were ready for the pool. I didn't try out the hot tub as I was not in the mood for swimming but it looked nice as well. There were plenty of towels out and the temperature was just fine. The room was just a normal hotel room, but we did not expect anything extravagant. The beds were clean, made, and the pillows were fine. I brought my own but they gave the option of both firm and soft pillows. The beds were firmer than I personally like, but I slept just fine on them. The bathroom was clean and in good order. The shower had good water pressure. The halls were not loud at all. My kids did get yelled at by someone because they were laughing too loud, but it was not a staff member and I agreed they were being too loud for 10pm. There was a parking garage right next door. The cost was $14 for the overnight, which I did think excessive, but honestly, there was no where but there to park downtown, and I do understand the cost. The view from our room was great. We could see the downtown shops and the river with the riverboats. All in all, the room was just fine for the 1 night we stayed and was in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Frisk32,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We're happy to hear that you found everything throughout the hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you were able to enjoy a restful sleep in your quiet room. We're glad to hear that you appreciated the nice view from your room as well--a bonus aspect of our great location in downtown St. Paul. Thanks for your review and for staying with us, and we hope to see you again in the future!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stay here due to the location you cant beat it for downtown. close to restaurants and attractions. the rooms are pretty average and the service good but I have one major complaint. The pillows are horrible, its like laying your head on blocks of rubber, my neck is killing me this morning.
The restaurant attached is a plus but parking is $14 so that's a minus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank shmelvin
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi shmelvin,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're again thrilled to hear that you loved and were able to take advantage of our great location in downtown St. Paul! We're very happy to hear that you appreciated our hotel's service as well--our staff is always eager to make guests' stays better! We are very sorry to hear that you found your pillows uncomfortable though. We provide both firm and soft pillows in all of our guestrooms, but, in case neither of these are comfortable, we do have a pillow menu placed in all of our guestrooms as well. This menu provides numerous other options that our staff will be happy to deliver up to the room. Just let us know what will help you be comfortable! We should also note that, while parking is $14 per night, the fee is similar to other hotels in the area and allows guests to go in and out of the parking ramp next to our building as many times as they'd like during their stay. In any event, we hope you'll come see us again, and we look forward to making your stay a fantastic one. Thanks again for the review!
Houston, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Not the best hotel, but the location was great for the destination that I had to arrive to. In my opinion, the hotel is over priced for the amenities that were offered and the basic rooms. I pretty much think you pay for the price of location.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Uchechi N
Hi Uchechi N,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're glad to hear that you found the hotel to be a great location for your visit. We are thrilled to be right in the midst of things in downtown St. Paul with eight different restaurants within two blocks of the hotel, the Xcel Energy Center across the street, and the Rivercentre just a block away. Plus, our complimentary shuttle service can take you anywhere within downtown St. Paul, so we take pride in being able to give you optimal access to our part of the city! We hope that you were able to take advantage of this service and the numerous other available amenities that we do offer while you stayed with us. We also take great pride in making our guests' stays great and meeting all their needs--at a price competitive with other hotels in the area as well. Please let our super friendly staff know of anything we can do to make your stay even better if you visit the area again in the future. Thank again for the review and happy travels!
Franklin, Connecticut
Reviewed May 26, 2013

this hotel surprised me! not only was it ideally located for getting around downtown it was easy to get to from the airport. I took the local bus from the airport for $1.75 and was there in 15 minutes tops! Was there for a graduation and another added feature was the shuttle to the college. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Personnel in the restaurant and at check in were very pleasant and attentive. The bar and restaurant was the busiest one I have been in at a downtown hotel, maybe because their prices were reasonable and the selection of beers and wines extensive! The pool was an added plus..had some kids with our group and they spent many hours there since it was raining outside. However, the biggest plus was that the kids ate for free! All in all this was a great hotel experience.

Room Tip: we were on the middle of the 6th floor and had a nice view of the Archdiocese. no noise at all from...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Susi53,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a great stay with us and are happy to hear that you appreciated all of the services our hotel and staff have to offer--everything from the complimentary shuttle service to the kids-eat-free perk to the beer, wine, and food options at The Liffey, our attached restaurant. We're glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the public bus system as well! The majority of people take cabs or airport shuttles to and from the airport, but the bus system is a very economical, worthwhile, and efficient alternative to those forms of transportation. The same bus that goes to the airport also travels to the Mall of America as well (only 5 minutes farther away), so feel free to go the extra mile over to there too! Thanks again for writing a review of our property, and we hope to pleasantly surprise you again soon!
USA
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This Holiday Inn is right across from the Excel Center in Downtown St. Paul. It is close to the Science Museum as well. There is a skyway that connects to a lot of downtown, but you can't get to the skyway from the hotel, you have to go across the street.

The rooms are very nice. They are quite large and clean. The hotel was pretty quiet even though it is right on a major street. No free breakfast here, but there is a restaurant on site. There are a few food options within walking distance, but not as much as I had hoped. There are several cool places to eat like Mickey's diner within 1 mile if you don't mind a small walk. There is a great view of the river just down the block.

There is no free parking at this hotel. There is a parking ramp, but it costs a little over $15 a night for hotel guests that can be added to your bill.

Overall, a pretty nice place, and the staff was nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street side for a better view. The inside rooms look at the parking ramp.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi Sandseekers,

Thanks for writing a review of our property! We're glad to hear that you had a great stay with us and are especially pleased to hear that you appreciated our convenient location, clean guestrooms, and friendly staff. We would love to help you find a great place for dinner the next time that you visit. There are a variety of restaurants--eight in total--within two blocks of the hotel, and our complimentary shuttle service that travels within three miles of the hotel makes numerous other dining options throughout downtown and the surrounding area available. Let us know if we can drive you to dinner the next time you're here! We look forward to seeing you again, and, once more, thank you for your review!
Belize
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for fifteen days, so I interacted a bit with the Hotel personnel. Had to work at the Science Museum in St. Paul Minnesota, & this was a great location because it was in walking distance of the museum and right across from the Excel Centre
Easy check in process, I arrived about 1:30am and got a room on the 7th floor. Great ROOM, but on the small side – it did have a love seat, chair and ottoman, desk with free wi-fi and King Bed. There was also a microwave, coffee maker and small fridge. The bathroom - had a decent size vanity and mirror and had a good shower and laid down to sleep, the bed was so comfy that I laid there soundly until the next day. When I woke that Sunday, I then went down to breakfast down at the Liffey. The food was delicious and the service attentive. On my first day there, I looked outside and it was snowing being from out of the country (Belize) I do not see snow often (really never  ) so this was very unique and had to be mentioned. The Front Desk staff was very accommodating and took me to Target to purchase warm clothes as I was somewhat unprepared for the snow. I especially found Evan from the front desk really friendly, courteous and helpful. In fact, I found all the Front desk staff (with perhaps the exception of Tim who wasn’t as friendly, but nice regardless) to be very professional and always willing to assist and make my stay better. All in all, I had a very nice visit in this hotel and would go back for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: High Floor Room so a very nice view of the area and avoid the noise from guest who attend Xcel activ...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hi lxcel27,

Thanks for writing a review of our property. We're very happy to hear that you had a good time here and appreciated our close proximity to the Science Museum and other major attractions downtown. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed our nice clean guestrooms, were able to brave the cold to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service, and got to know our staff during your stay with us. For what it's worth, the snow is gone here now and usually is in May, but, with Minnesota, guess you never know! Thanks again!