All reviewsirish pubxcel energy centergreat locationwild gameattending an eventroom was cleanparking ramphigher floorhockey gameearly checkwithin milesbusiness tripshuttle servicehot tubfitness centerfree shuttleliffey
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was in town for one evening on business and stayed at the Holiday Inn. The hotel was comfortable, the staff very friendly.
Pros: The internet worked well in the room, the beds were comfortable and the shower was pleasant. The room is spacious, definitely large enough for 1-2 people. Everything served my purposes.The location is good, there are several nice restaurants, bars and coffee shops nearby and the Xcel center is across the street. The coffee in the room could have been a bit better-- but it was drinkable.
Cons: The computer in the lobby, there is only one, did not work during my stay and the staff were unable to fix it (I wanted to print my boarding pass).

All in all, I had a good stay at the Holiday Inn and would return to this hotel should business take me here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel was close to everything. It was easy to find, just off the interstate and the parking system was simple and convenient. There’s a great Irish pub located within the hotel and a lovely roof top terrace bar. The rooms were clean and incredibly comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you, for your wonderful comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. From our authentic Irish Pub, The Liffey, to our comfortable guest rooms. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here one night to attend the Coldplay concert at the Xcel Energy Center. We made our choice based on the fact that it was right across the street from the arena.

THE GOOD

Location! If you're attending an event at the Xcel Energy Center, you can't beat being right across the street. In addition to being right across the street from the arena, there are a number of restaurants and places to shop nearby.

Quiet! The staff goes above-and-beyond to enforce noise standards. When we first checked in, they specifically pointed out a clause whereby all we had to do was call them if anyone was being too rowdy. I don't remember the exact verbiage, but I remember something to the effect of "... noise infractions will result in immediate eviction." Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Indeed, noise was a total non-issue and we slept very soundly. I would rate this as one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in despite being right down town.

Fridge. Having a mini-fridge was a nice extra. We were able to keep our water cold, and store some leftover pizza we weren't able to eat for dinner. Made a nice late-night snack after our concert let out at nearly midnight.

Clean. Everything was clean and tidy when we arrived. Fresh towels, linen, etc. and the room smelled good.

Responsive staff. Our a/c compressor went out at some point while we were away at the concert. They had maintenance up in 5 minutes, and they had a new compressor in place in about 20 minutes.

Fast, free wireless. Holy cow, this is the fastest complementary wi-fi I've ever had at a hotel. It was actually faster than my home wi-fi, which I've never experienced before.

Towel animals! See pic. From a customer experience perspective, it was a nice touch to come into our room and find a towel puppy on our bed. I haven't seen something like this since Disneyland YEARS ago.

THE BAD

A/C compressor died. The compressor in our a/c died while we were away at our concert. We came back to an odd noise coming from the unit. However, they had maintenance up within 5 minutes and they had it replaced in about 20 minutes.

Slow elevators. Some of the slowest elevators I've ever had to use. A minor inconvenience, especially considering that there was no stair option (except in emergencies).

No stair option. I rarely take elevators. I need the exercise, plus I just hate waiting for them... especially when they're as slow as the ones here. However, the only time stairs are open to the public is during an emergency. I understand this policy, it's just a minor annoyance.

OVERALL

Definitely recommend this Holiday Inn if you're looking for a basic hotel near the Xcel Energy Center. The dings I gave this hotel were very minor (to us), and the good far outweighed the bad (again, for us).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is gratifying to know that you had a nice quite room, you were pleased with our high speed internet and you enjoyed the wonderful towel dog our housekeeping staff left for you on your bed.
I am sorry you had a concern with your AC unit but very pleased it was addressed quickly and to your satisfaction.
It is comments like yours that gives us an opportunity to keep striving for excellence. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed here for a Black Hawks vs Wild game at XCel Arean. Hotel staff was very courteous and professional throughout our stay. Great location across the street from the area and walking distance to restaurants. Will stay here again next time we follow the Hawks up north.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. We look forward to your next visit with us when the Black Hawks return!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last weekend and had a great time! Perfect location within walking distance to many local restaurants and the Xcel Arena. All the employees were very curtious and timely. Great outside patio upstairs with plenty of room! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends