All reviewsirish pubxcel energy centergreat locationwild gameattending an eventroom was cleanparking ramphigher floorhockey gameearly checkwithin milesbusiness tripshuttle servicehot tubfitness centerfree shuttleliffey
Reviewed January 14, 2008

It seems a lot of people have had trouble with noise at this hotel. We had people loudly talking in the corridor until 2 am during our stay. It was a hockey night though.

Hotel staff very friendly and courtesy van is a great convenience. Aside from noise we had a perfect hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank ecar027
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I have to echo some of the previous review that compliment the customer service. Each person at the desk did a wonderful job and my room was kept clean. I have three examples that I will share. I was ironing a shirt in the room when I noticed this brown staining appearing on my shirt. I turned the iron over at it was the source. I called down to the desk to report my issue and the kind gentleman appologized and sent a new iron to the room and also had the shirt laundered. I'm at this hotel for training and a classmate complains of chest pains. We call the desk, around 11:30p.m. after the shuttle bus has ended, to see about the closest hospital and a taxi. Without question they take us to the hospital promptly in the van. Fortunately it was a false alarm for my new friend. Lastly I will round out the compliments with praise to the back of the house. Housekeeping did a very consistent job with my room cleanliness.
I have noticed comments about the noise, and I think that there are not very many places that are sound proof, or that you cannot hear anybody as the talk outside your door.
I do wish I could remember some of these wonderful people's names, but I can't. Above all they deserve a pat on the back. Keep up the good work!

2  Thank war_eagle2005
Reviewed November 9, 2007

The hotel is your standard Holiday Inn. Keep your expectations in check, and it's a bed and a bath. The location is great, the Liffey Pub in the lobby is good. Staff are friendly and courteous. The Gym consists of two treadmills, an orbital and a small weight machine. Same as the hotel... It's basic, but does the job.

The location is great, just across the street from the hockey rink, and a couple of blocks to the business district. $25.00 cab ride to Mall of America, or $20.00 to Minneapolis. Some nice restaurants and pubs in the couple of blocks around the hotel. Check out "Patio" across the street and a block down for some good Mexican food. The opera house on the other side of the rink has the and a small 250 seat theatre where I caught a live performance of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show". It was very well done with a talented cast.

My only concern was the sound proofing in the hotel. Pretty much normal for the chain. The plumbing is loud when your neighbors are using the showers, you can hear the alarm clock in the next room, and the doors close with a loud clang. I stayed, 6 nights and on the last (Thursday) I didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time. A drunk woman locked herself out of the room across the hall and kept banging on her door trying to get someone to let her in. Then at 5am the alarm next door went off (in an empty room) and I had to call security to have them shut it off. Also I had a room on the 4th (of 8) floor and traffic noise was very noticeable.

As for the room itself, it has the basics. The switch on the bedside lamp didn't work. The clock radio was very old and needed to be replaced.

It was the cheapest room my company could book, so for the $96.00 a night, you get what you pay for. I would stay again, these things can happen at any hotel. But with the construction of the hotel, ithe noise is really noticable.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Pureluck
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Meh. Not bad, not extraordinary. Anyone walking by your door and talking can be heard and I had to physically adjust the box with all the wires in it at the back of the dusty tv to get good reception and sound. The upside is it's direct proximity to Liffy's Irish Pub on street level which serves above-average fare in a relaxing environment. The hotel lobby and rooms are clean, the wireless internet free, the front desk staff friendly (if not a little overly so), and the location for access to the heart of downtown St. Paul makes this stop a decent choice for practical, but not terribly leisurely or romantic, lodging.

1  Thank LesterShyster
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Only one small mishap in the entire 5 night visit - a missed wake up call - but we backed up with cell phone alarm anyway. No real noise problems despite hockey games during our visit. On one occasion we were awakened by noise in the corridor but this was not extraordinary or long lasting and of the type that can occur in any hotel.

1  Thank RetiringnotShy