All reviews irish pub xcel energy center great location wild game attending an event room was clean parking ramp higher floor hockey game within miles shuttle service business trip hot tub fitness center free shuttle liffey excel
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown/RiverCentre for a conference that was being held across the street. The hotel was very convenient to the Xcel Center and the RiverCentre (where the conference was held). The streets and area were very clean, friendly, and easy to navigate. There are many little bars and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, and I even found a place to get my hair cut.

My room was also always nice and clean. The heating/cooling unit, though, was loud and it seemed rather inconsistent. We never changed the temp, but some days it seemed very cold and other days it was hot! And ask for a room on the "inside" of the hotel. Our room was right on 7th Street and there was also a lot of traffic noise.

A few times on my trip I was in need of a quick bite, snack, or convenience item. There are no stores or places like this around the hotel - that is really my only complaint. I did eventually find a Walgreens which was a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel, toward more of the "downtown" area with bigger buildings.

Sometimes the front desk staff were helpful, other times they didn't seem familiar with the area. So be prepared to possibly do some area research on your own. Good examples - the staff helped me easily find a hair salon and also helped with bus schedules (which I later learned were outdated, but still fairly helpful) to get to the Mall of America. Bad examples - When asked where the nearest car rental facility was, no one could come up with an exact location or the name of the company so I could look it up myself.

The wi fi worked great in the room.

Room tip: Ask for a room that is not on 7th avenue - traffic and bus noise was loud coming from the street!
Date of stay: November 2011
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2011

When we arrived, we discovered that we had the wrong room type. One of the people with us had to sleep on the floor. We were stuck with that for two nights. The check in agent was unapologetic. She seemed to think it was somehow our fault. Then she was aburpt and somewhat rude. We were not compensated for the mistake.

The rest of the staff was friendly. The location is awesome if you are going to the Xcel Centre. The hotel is clean and was reasonably quiet.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Despite its reasonable price, our room was fairly spacious and included a microwave and refrigerator. Bed was nice and firm. Location was truly downtown, within easy walking distance of interesting antique shops. on 7'th street. Great 30's-era diner (MIckey's) just a few blocks up 7th street.

The in-hotel restaurant (the Liffey) was a decent Irish pub/sports bar, although service was way too slow. This didn't bother us because we were in no great hurry, but keep it in mind if you eat here. We were eating with a large group (about 12 people). They did have the good sense to bring out kids' food first.

The bar was fun, with interesting beers/ales on draft.

There were two hockey nights at the Excel center during our stay. Perhaps we were just lucky, but there wasn't a noise problem from this. We were on the 4th floor with a view of 7th street and the Excel center.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to the Excel Center for a concert I went to. The management were great at keeping things quiet at the hotel after the concert, they mentioned they hired security to allow their guest a peaceful stay. Usually guest at hotels after a concert can be pretty wild but we never heard any problems. The hotel is very nice, and in a very good area of town. The staff were friendly and very helpful. I would stay here again when I'm in St. Paul!

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Excellent affordable hotel for attending events in downtown St. Paul. A snowstorm extended our wonderful stay for an extra two days due to cancelled flights and the Holiday Inn staff accomodated us with no issues. Room service breakfast from the Liffey is first rate.

Date of stay: February 2011