All reviewsirish pubxcel energy centergreat locationwild gameattending an eventroom was cleanparking ramphigher floorhockey gameearly checkwithin milesbusiness tripshuttle servicehot tubfitness centerfree shuttleliffey
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Excellent affordable hotel for attending events in downtown St. Paul. A snowstorm extended our wonderful stay for an extra two days due to cancelled flights and the Holiday Inn staff accomodated us with no issues. Room service breakfast from the Liffey is first rate.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We have stayed here several times when my wife and I were attending Xcel Center events.
The hotel is well kept and staff very accommodating. Reasonably priced for its location. The pool is quite small, but then we are downtown.
The best part is The Liffey, an authentic Irish pub on the first floor. Nice beer selection, great ambience and friendly staff. All this and you are a two minute walk from front door of the Xcel Center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank David F
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I love this hotel. I've stayed here several times and I know the St. Paul area very well. I'd say this hotel is absolutely the best location for business or vacation travelers to the area. Why? Because you can walk across the street to the Excel Energy Center, plenty of nice restaurants, all the nightlife St. Paul has to offer (which is not much), and bars. You can even walk into downtown without the need for a cab.

It's basically in the heart of everything that happens in this town. Now if you want to spend a few more bucks for luxury and ritz, then I'd head over to the Crowne Plaza or the St. Paul Hotel. I like those places too but you gotta spend the bucks.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Recently my wife and I were looking to combine a short getaway with some work travel in the St. Paul area. While looking for a hotel that was located in the city (instead of some far-flung suburb) and was not extremely pricey, we stumbled across the Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown. What we found was a functional hotel with a great location across from the Xcel Center and just a short walk from the many restaurants and coffeeshops that are springing to life just west of downtown St. Paul.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we found your standard downtown Holiday Inn. The rooms were comfortable, were somewhat spacious (for a downtown hotel,) and had nice views of the surrounding neighborhoods and river bluffs.

Overall, though this is not a remarkable downtown hotel, we found it was a nice place to stay in the Twin Cities and is in a location that can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The location of this hotel is fantastic. So much to do right around the area. We were there going to La Traviata at the Opera house. It's location is right across from the Excel Energy Center, The Science Museum is right down the Street. Several bars right in the area. We also had our engagement pictures taken around down town St. Paul and that was fun. The hotel was very busy along with the Liffy Bar that is right down stairs. It was the State Hockey Tournament so their were families everywhere. I imagine the guests change quite a bit depending on what is going on in the area. We ordered room service and had the cheese tray and curry fries and they were perfect pre-opera food. The room was pretty average and ours over looked Excel Energy Center it was fun to watch the very busy street. The staff was courteous and was very helpful in getting us a cab to the opera...It was to cold in March to walk there even though it is within walking distance. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple