All reviews irish pub xcel energy center great location wild game attending an event room was clean parking ramp higher floor hockey game early check within miles business trip shuttle service hot tub fitness center free shuttle liffey
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Good location, clean rooms, friendly staff, great views (8th floor) and good food from The Liffey. Mattresses feel a bit old and lumpy but otherwise I enjoyed staying at this hotel for a quick 1 night business trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2011

You can't ask for a better location. The city views from our room was excellent. The room was clean, welcoming, and spacious. The staff was great. Anything you needed they took care of. They answered all my questions where to go and what to do. The Liffy which is attached to the hotel is great for drinks and food if you don't want to go out. Tons of restaurants right there if you do. A short distance to the downtown of their other twin city. Will stay there again on my next trip. The room made it on my list, but the great staff is what keeps it at the top.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Was in town for events @ XCel Energy Center. The hotel was clean and orderly. Rooms are small, and due to event(s), think price was slightly inflated, but the entire city was at higher prices for the large crowd in town and bookings were made well in advance.
Small fitness center, but equipment worked and was functional. Bar/restaurant just off lobby was reasonably priced and expected. Plenty of other options for dining/entertainment within two blocks.
Would highly recommend location for any event at the XCel Center...won't pay more for parking, extremely convenient location, and beyond friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband and I just spent 4 days at the Holiday Inn Downtown. I was a little skeptical booking the room as I am normally not a big Holiday Inn fan. First, the location for us was perfect- across the the Xcel and River Center, right downtown St. Paul. You can walk to just about anything downtown (although there is not much). The entrance to the Skywalk is about 1/2 block away. We were there for the Frozen Four and did not want a car and except for 1/2 day when we wished we did have one, did not need one.
The staff is friendly, helpful and attentive. They never steered us wrong with any recommendations as far as restaurants, sight seeing, etc. They have a van that will take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. We asked and were promptly taken to Grand Street, given ideas of things to do while we were in the area then picked up immediately when we called. There is also a bus right out side the front door that will take you to Mall of the Americas.
The room, though small, was nice, the bed and pillows comfortable. Despite the fact that there was a college hockey team and band staying in the hotel, it was quiet and the public areas kept very clean.
The gym is small, so if you're looking for a hotel with an extensive gym, this is not it- two treadmills, one elliptical and a weight machine. The pool looked nice.
They have an Irish pub on sight that was good- good selection of beers, fair wine, lots of Irish whiskey and the food was good. But it is very busy. There are other great restaurants within walking distance.
We would certainly stay here again. My only complaint was the cost which was elevated due to the Frozen Four being in town.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Stayed here one night for business. Across the street from Xcel Energy Center. The night I stayed, there was a Minnesota Wild hockey game, so lots of activity at night (I went to the game). Very nice front desk staff. Bed was very comfortable. Had a king bed room on the 8th floor. Parking was $14. Computer in lobby to print stuff if you need to.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business