“Like Being in Paris, Attitude and All!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Meritage
Ranked #7 of 877 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Like Being in Paris, Attitude and All!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We had Mother's Day brunch at Meritage, and the place is all it is claimed to be. The atmosphere is just lovely, the food is simple and wonderful and smart, the service is absolutely impeccable. We sat outside and pretended we were in Paris. The timing of the service was perfect; often where so many places fall down. Even the coffee was terrific. We really had a wonderful time. Just one nit to pick. After I made the reservation, I got two emails and a call asking me for for my credit card to hold the reservation, and informing me of a cancellation policy. I also got a followup call reminding me of my reservation. That's four contacts for a meal. We travel at least once a month, and eat out at least three times a week. I know this is common in other cities, but it is not common in Mpls. In my opinion it is offensive and unnecessary. There are people clamoring to get into Meritage, and walk-ins. If we cancelled, our place would be snapped up. The attitude was aggressive and off putting and reminded me of timeshare sales in Mexico. I didn't like it, and think they should rethink their philosophy.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Deborah K

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A memorable meal and perfect service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Forgot that I mentioned it was our anniversary when I made the reservation. The staff did not. Our waiter stopped by as soon as we were seated with a card from Chef Klein and a glass of bubbly! We started with some of the best raw oysters we have ever eaten, followed by perfectly cooked lamb with pea-mint purée that made me want to lick the plate. Service was impeccable, and we were able to get to the theater on time while never feeling rushed. A lovely French bistro in downtown St. Paul.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank K W
St. Paul, MN
“After SPCO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Once again after the Friday morning St. Paul Chamber Orchestra performance, my husband and I went to the Meritage for another splendid meal. The staff is definitely top drawer and treats each patron with professional courtesy and attention. Knowing the menu fairly well we ordered one of our favorites: hanger steak, french fries and Bearnaise sauce with a cool, sparkling glass of white wine. As usual we were very satisfied and enjoyed the meal. My only regret is that I wish it were a little less expensive so we could eat there more often!!

• Visited April 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great dining experience in downtown St Paul. Excellent wine list, amazing food, great ambiance, give it a try!

Visited April 2014
“Urban gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Great ambience with food "a cut above". I had a few oysters and a delicious salad. The special of the night was an excellent presentation of salmon.
Also very close to the theater.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Meritage? Share your experiences!