“EXCELLENT Middleastern food”

Ranked #40 of 901 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2014

The food served at this restaurant was so tasty we ate here twice on our recent visit to St Paul for my daughter's college orientation at Macalester. The food was tasty, served relatively quickly (its always crowded during these big school events) and reasonably priced. They had outdoor sidewalk seating which was nice too.

For the first time there - for dinner - it was me, my husband and my brother-in-law and we all had vegetarian offerings -- lentil soup, maza platter, falafel burger and garbanzo burger. Plus we shared a killer slice of turtle cheescake! (Normally I go for the baklava but this looked amazing and it was). The meal was so delicious I bought a gift card for my daughter,

For lunch a few days later, my husband and I shared a shish salad, spinach pie appetizer and a portobello mushroom burger (served with with roasted red peppers) and on the suggestion of my daughter, I asked for the sweet potato fries (for a small upcharge-well worth it) which came with the large dollop of their home-made garlic sauce--also amazing.

The photos say it all!
I wished I lived closer!

There are newer reviews for Shish Mediterranean Grill & Cafe

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I've been many times, including last week. On my most recent visit, the owner/manager/chef or whatever he was, was over-the-top in kindness toward me. I don't know why. But he offered me a small bowl of something that isn't on the menu, and also came out with a small plate from which to sample their baba ganoush and other items. The food I have had, recently and before, is pretty reliable, and tastes quite fresh and lively. The salads are very reasonably priced. Some of the hot plates are much more expensive ($15-ish) so I don't get those as often. The wraps are good. I like the water set-up, though the glasses for free water are really small and make it difficult. Good supply of desserts. It can get busy at times, and the on-street seating is limited, so the space can be a bit smaller than ideal, but you can usually find a table pretty readily all the same. Overall, a very good place to go. I have had their catering many times, too, with good experiences. Not a destination restaurant, but a good option in the neighborhood.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

This deli style cafe is very affordable for the delicious food you get! We tried the gyro pita & Mediterranean chicken sandwich. The portion sizes were huge and packed with authentic flavors. Also had a coffee & turkish coffee (filled with fragrant spices). I was definitely wowed and can't wait to go back and try more. Their breakfast menu looks great too. A St. Paul hidden gem-even though it's on Grand!

1  Thank tricia b
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

The bacon on the cheeseburger is to die for. The flavor of the lamb bacon really compliments the burger. I had the falafel sandwich which was large and yummy. All of the ingredients were fresh and flavorful. I will definitely stop in again when I'm back in Saint Paul!

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed August 11, 2014

One of our favorite places to go for a Mediterranean lunch! And the espresso drinks are some of the best we have had anywhere in St. Paul! If you are a dessert person save room for one of their wonderful bakery items. Over the past couple years I think we have had almost everything on the menu and have not been disappointed. I especially love the chicken shawarma and the dolmas. Just be prepared to stand in line if you go right at noon.

1  Thank NeverStopExplor... X