“Love the Shawarma”

Ranked #60 of 908 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I discovered Shish on Grand Ave in St. Paul shortly after moving to the area and have become a frequent diner. It is located on a popular street right across from Macalester College and there are lots of restaurant options to choose from. If you're looking for a casual cafe with an ample Mediterranean menu, look no further! My favorite dish is the Chicken Shawarma Dinner Plate (also available with gyro meat). The saffron rice and cucumber sauce are DELICIOUS and they give you enough chicken and vegetables to cover lunch the next day. The dinner plate also comes with a run-of-the-mill side salad. I've also tried the Vegetarian Garbanzo Burger and it was amazing-- very potent garlic sauce, but would order again. My husband almost always orders the gyro wrap with fries and is always happy with it. We tried the green curry and we thought it was pretty good, but not our favorite dish there.

My only criticisms are the lack of A/C in the summer (it was brutal last time I was there) and the speed at the counter. I've had to wait in a line out the door multiple times as there is only one cash register.

Definitely give it a shot if you like Mediterranean cuisine!

1  Thank Swit0028

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Two Aussies and an Austrian really enjoyed the Turkish lunch fare at Shish. Fresh tabbouleh, a really yummy maze platter with lovely humours and eggplant dip, and an ok gyro. Great value, good coffee, in a high energy cafe that produces good honest Turkish/ Greek style food. Pitta could be more exciting but well worth the visit.

1  Thank jandghubbard
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently went there with my family, and although the food was GREAT - they had forgotten half of our order. Even after reminded a couple times, we still not get our food until I stood waiting by the counter. It seems like they forgot all about us. Otherwise I had the kebabs - they were good - i tried the sampler with the lamb, beef and chicken. I liked the chicken the best - seemed to be seasoned better. The Garlic sauce is really good... with everything.

1  Thank Lanka L
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This food is super fresh, and flavorful. The menu is huge with something for the meat eater, vegetarian or vegan. I usually get one of their many burgers. I always substitute a salad for fries and skip the bun. Falafel, salads and the baklava are also at the top of my list.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

By close to Macalaster College it caters to the students and the rest of us. The value is tremendous, portions generous, and the staff unfailingly willing and helpful. Not a high end ambience, just basic tables but go for the food and the value.