“Buzzing bar in St Pauls...”
Review of Happy Gnome

Happy Gnome
Reserve with OpenTable
Happy Gnome is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 933 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Selby and MacKubin
Transit: The 21 drops off right in front.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Went in here on a recommendation from a server in another bar - very, very busy for a tuesday evening, we only had some local beer but all the food that was being served to tables around us looked excellent, good outdoor area at the rear of the restaurant, all in all a good place to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a local beer...

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We recently stopped by the Happy Gnome last Saturday after the St Paul Saints game. At 10:00 p.m. there were still a lot of people in the bar and patio areas, even the dining room was fairly busy for that late in the evening.Very lively crowd. We were waited on promptly, the menu had a lot of interesting choices.
We ordered the shrimp and steak tacos, very good, the wild rice soup, need more liquid in the base, and lobster mac and cheese, excellent !!! We finished the night with dessert, Happy Birthday Cake, wish we hadn't ordered it as it was nothing like birthday cake. It was pre packaged LIttle Debbie frosted cake squares with strawberries, blueberries, sprinkles and whipped cream, very disappointed with dessert !

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a great place to meet friends and have a beer. I love the old bar! Service is spotty. The food is wonderful, but you will pay for it. Wonderful beer selection, but a very short wine list.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Have had the pleasure of visiting this great neighborhood restaurant on several occasions and never been disappointed. The food is excellent and service is courteous and efficient. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends for a quality meal and great service.

1  Thank Chath65
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Located in a nice little neighborhood not far from the main highways, I've been here several times now in my travels and it's a destination I hope to make in every return to the Twin Cities. The main draw is the beer. A wide range of styles and craft brewers with probably 40-ish taps I'd guess, and a good sampling of some of the local brewers. I don't always come to eat but when I have, their unusual, somewhat gourmet selections have been surprisingly top notch. It's a bit pricey but I've found it quite worth it so far. The big negative I've found is how crowded it gets. Although they'll do their best to find space for you, like eating at the bar like my boss and I did last time, it's a bit of a hassle finding space, even at the bar. It's generally difficult to just move around and is quite noisy at peak times. It can be a hard place to hang around if you're by yourself unless you can carve out a stool at the bar. But if you're prepared for that, the quality of the food and beer are both top notch for a pseudo-casual dining experience. I also have found the servers/ bartenders to be very pleasant and knowledgeable despite the busy environment. They know the beers pretty well, will gladly provide free samples and they know their menu. They're friendly and seem to enjoy a little brew talk as time allows. Parking can be a little tight, mostly on the street, but has never been impossible. It's also just a block or two away from the Muddy Pig which is another highly notable beer destination, but more of a college pub atmosphere with a little less going on with their menu. I try to squeeze in a couple beers there after eating and drinking at Happy's. I highly recommend the Happy Gnome but try to get there early or late to avoid the worst of the crowds.

1  Thank Durge