“Diner that has a vintage flair.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bonnie's Cafe - CLOSED

Bonnie's Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Diner that has a vintage flair.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had lunch at Bonnie's Cafe today with some co-workers. It was very quiet in the restaurant - us and one other table over the lunch hour. My co-workers had "breakfast" for lunch and I had the burger basket. The burger was good, not the best, but good. Yummy fries. My co-workers cleaned their plates.

The inside felt like the 1960's. Vintage. It is a fun place that I will bring my kids too, but not a client lunch.

• Visited July 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Their breakfast looked great...And tasted even better!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I decided to try Bonnie's for breakfast after a referral from a local. It is an older restaurant that has been around for a while from the looks of the outside of the building. And inside, there is a diner-style format with several booths to choose from. There were about 10-15 customers inside when I walked in at about 8:15 a.m.. I ordered the "Big Eater" breakfast which consisted of 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 strips of bacon, a nice sized slice of ham, hashbrowns, and biscuits for $7.99. I also ordered a large glass of orange juice which tasted like it was freshly squeezed. It may have been "Simply Orange" juice. No matter though. It tasted great and at least it wasn't from concentrate! The eggs were cooked perfectly. The sausage and bacon tasted wonderful. And the hashbrowns were great too (not greasy like other places I've eaten at in the past). The biscuits were very good also. The put a "twist" on them which is really nice. They slice them and then fry them open-faced on their grill. Very tasty for a biscuit. The order came within about 10 minutes, which was more than acceptable. And, the waitress was very busy at the time I was there. But she still found time to be cordial and welcoming. It was a very nice experience overall. And if I get the chance I will definitely eat here again. It is located at the corner of University Ave. and Vandalia in St. Paul. Thanks for a great breakfast!

• Visited July 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wanted to like this but it was only ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had heard and read other's experience. Yes, it is a truck stop and yes they have vintage booths. Maybe I hit a bad day. But service was indifferent, food was ok, and there was only 1 other person in the restaurant when I friend and I dined there.
There is so much competition for this kind of food in the Twin Cities. I might try it once more but I did not experience either very good service, very good food or a warm welcome that others write about.
Also, parking is available on the East Side of the building, important because no parking on either Univ or Cretin Avs.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Seniordad
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“great, local diner with tasty food and very friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

Bonnie's is a local truckstop/diner serving great breakfasts and lunches 7 days per week. They use fresh ingredients and the food is tasty, plentiful and made on site. The staff is very friendly and makes everyone who walks through the door feel welcome. Very clean and comfortable. i love it! Very easy to get to and accessible parking. Give it a try-you won't be sorry.

• Visited March 2012
South Haven, Minnesota
“Visit This Restaurant - WAAAY WORTH Dodging Construction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I took my son to Bonnie's because we were doctoring at the Univ of MN and needed to get to somewhere close because we were on foot. This is your classic American diner. . . .and Bonnie herself was actually there to serve us! EVERYTHING is made from scratch, which is so hard to find these days. My son said his Philly Cheesesteak was the best philly sandwich he had ever had. I had the corned beef hash and it truly was the best, best, best I've ever had. The businesses along this strip in St. Paul are struggling due to massive amounts of construction on the roads running right in front of Bonnie's. It's worth the walk. Support them and help them make it through this rough phase!

• Visited September 2011