“Not as good as I remember”

Cecil's Delicatessen & Bakery
Ranked #14 of 928 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Ordered my usual rueben with the sweet & sour slaw.Slaw was wonderful,Corned beef in sandwhich was so tough I couldn't bite through it.Even taking it out of the bread and using a knife prooved futile. The server never came back to refill beverages (friend had to ask to have her cold coffe replaced with a hot cup) nor to ask if food was OK.At counter when I paid,I was asked if everything was Ok. I said not really,and explained. She said since I ate it (meeat wa slying on plate actually) they couldn't do anything but to next time flag down any server or hostess and they would make it right..next time. Been going there for years,so there will be a next time,but I will be more proactive.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I asked several people--and they said this was the best it got in St. Paul. Of course I had the great equalizer- corned beef but asked for it on a kaiser roll. that roll never got near a kaiser. it was a plain white wonderbread type of roll with a few seeds. no good crusty outside. the corned beef was just ok and the cole slaw was rather bland. It was simply not a great sandwich. My service was good but there were a few testy waiters. I do not think I would go back --at least not for corned beef.

2  Thank shust
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Want to eat 2000 calories in one meal? This authentic deli has brilliant milk shakes and great sandwiches, but oh, put half the sandwich in a take-out container.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Is that they don't ship and have no other locations! I live in VA and have to beg a friend of ours to stop by this place when she goes to MN (which isn't often). She is picking some things up for me tomorrow in fact and I am anxious to get them!

1  Thank Kcassn
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been going to Cecil's for over 30 years. Although it has been remodeled in that time, all the favorites are still there except for the three-layer chocolate cake. My entire family was disappointed when they took this cake off the menu but we still love to go there. My son always gets the Maxi sandwich, he says it is the best. I have the Cecil's salad, or the lox burger or the patty melt. The reuben's are excellent too. The borscht is very good. May daughter likes the Monte Cohen. Well worth the trip to Highland Park to go to this St Paul Landmark!!!! Don't let the lack of curb appeal stop you from going in.

2  Thank TravelingWoman100