“What's with the name?”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I expected something southern but this seems to be just a pretty-good breakfast cafe. I'm still unclear if the name is supposed to imply the menu includes southern items or just a name. Many restaurants contain an item with "cajun" in the title so that didn't seem to be enough reason to consider it a "southern" diner. I still am surprised grits were not on the menu.
Overall, though, the experience and food was good. On par with other "good" breakfast cafes so I don't know that I'd go out of my way to chose this place over another in the future. If I lived closer I could see going back.
I ordered the carnitas benendict. It was served on a huge platter with 1/2 taken up by flavorless hashbrowns (cooked well, though) and the other side had 2 full biscuits covered in shredded pork, poached eggs and h. sauce. Very good! Definitely a meal for 2 people which I wish I would have done and then also split one of the delightful looking caramel rolls. However, there is a $2 split plate charge and I see that as kind of lame for any restaurant. It seems if a restaurant feels the need to charge a split plate charge, they may want to reconsider what and how much they are serving per meal. Adjust the portion size and/or price and maybe this issue goes away. We brought home leftovers.
Nice they have parking in the back and the restaurant is spacious and comfortable.

There are newer reviews for Louisiana Cafe

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The worst coffee in St. Paul. Institutional ambiance - their former location was much more charming. Parking can be an issue on weekends.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

When we are in St Paul, we always go the the Louisianna for breakfast! A varied menu and great service keeps us returning!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Classic but slightly more exciting cafe fare. Had caprese eggs benedict which was a nice twist. Kids meals came with a nice option of a huge bowl of fruit instead of the mandatory fries. They don't take reservations, but keeps things moving. We waited about 5 minutes for a table at noon on a saturday.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We've been going to Louisiana cafe for years and it is consistently great experence. The Cajun breakfast and Egg Benedict are my favorites - they have a few benedict options! They have generous portions, great flavor and very clean, pleasant restaurant experience. It can be busy weekend mornings, but it's worth the wait. Free parking lot behind the restaurant as well as street parking too.

1  Thank Hetenna