“Charming Restaurant & Excellent Service”
Review of Moscow on the Hill

Moscow on the Hill
Ranked #7 of 901 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Moscow on the Hill is a charming restaurant. We took out of town guests on a Friday evening and the restaurant was packed. The restaurant is charming but tends to be a bit loud (it didn't bother me). If you think of it when making your reservation, asked to be seated next to the window -- very pretty, especially in the evening.

We had some mixed reviews on the food with our group. First of all, everybody agreed that the herring appitizer was bad news - very mushy and tasteless - a real disappointment. I personally was disappointed with my chicken Keiv as whatever spice they used to fill the chicken was completely overbearing. The pork medallions and steak were done to perfection. Further, the choice of vodkas were excellent with some unusual choices. The service was second to none.

I'd also like to mention that their outdoor seating is beautiful -- once again -- the outdoor lighting adds a lot of ambiance. I also couldn't help but think it would be ideal for a large event/dinner.

We will definately be back to this neighborhood gem!!

2  Thank Annie-MN
There are newer reviews for Moscow on the Hill

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The restaurant had no problem in promptly accommodating our party of 8, which included three
children. We selected from among a variety of specialties, and every thing was well prepared
and presented. Among our favorites were the dumplings, two types of borscht, pork tenderloin
and chicken Kiev, just to name a few. The portions sizes were such that we had alas no room for
dessert. All in all highly recommended and reasonable in price.

2  Thank redramPhiladelphia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Dinned here after hearing good things about ir for years from local family members. Our reservation was durring the busy weekend of Labor Day and we were very lucky to get in on such short notice. The servers ranged from bland to amazing and so did the flavors of the dishes we were to consume. We ordered some Beef Stroganoff the was lacking flavor and was nothing to wrote home about in any sense. Then, we had some amazing Blini with Chicken and the Peasant Pelmeni. Food really went to both extremes of great to basic. I was a tad let down by the interior decor also. After hear so many things about this place I was expecting maybe a bit more. Staff was pleasant but the servers fluctuated between our table so we didn't really have a server that was memorable. All in all, it was good just was looking fro more wow factor.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

They have a really nice happy hour menu with 3 selections of snacks for 9.00. A really vast selection of wonderful Russian (and standard) drinks. The Siberian Sunrise is a favorite of everyone I take there. Very fun staff, and early is a lovely quiet for an after work respite. East to park, and a favorite of myself and my "fussy" friends. Average to a bit higher drink prices, but well worth it, and you can use the snacks as dinner. The pate and crackers is great, and the Russian items are good also.

1  Thank Fluffy052
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Simple dishes, nothing special, menu basic. And In any case a french restaurant.
We had Russian harings not tasteful and a Strogonov beef without taste. Sorry.