“Not quite Mexican Cusine”

Boca Chica Restaurante
Reserve with OpenTable
Boca Chica Restaurante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 901 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wabasha
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The titles of the food on the menu might be authentic, but the food isn't. It's been retooled to fit the tastes of the Midwest. The chips were too salty and the waitress gave us their hottest salsa (which was alright for me, but not for my husband) and she didn't warn us. The food was dry and came without the traditional sauce. If you like traditional Mexican cuisine, do not eat here.

There are newer reviews for Boca Chica Restaurante

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love Mexican food and this is some of the best authentic Mexican food I've had. Absolutely delicious and a local favorite.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Boca Chica offered a lovely respite on a sweltering day to sit on the porch, drink ice cold beer and have some delicious comfort food.

1  Thank lovedcostarica_11
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We had a reservation for seven people at 630 on a Thursday night and were seated immediately at a large round table in the main dining area. Our waitress was unsmiling and brusque but accurate in taking our orders. The service was a bit slow - we waited perhaps ten minutes before flagging her down to take our drink orders; we had to catch her again to ask if we could order dinner; and the soup came out about ten minutes later but the food was at least another half-hour or 45 minutes. Most irritating, in my opinion, was that it took about an hour after we finished eating for us to catch her & request the bill, give her our credit cards, catch her to run them (there was one error, which was understandable considering there were seven of us) & get our receipts.

Pros:
Upon asking, I was told that the refried beans, rice, black beans, & enchilada sauce were all vegetarian;
The chips & two different salsas were plentiful, salty & delicious;
The cheese enchilada, bean tostada, and black beans were pretty tasty.

Cons:
Slow service;
Seemed overpriced;
Rice was tasteless and served cool.

I'd go back & hope for better service, but I wouldn't rank it among my favorites...

1  Thank SteffiLovesTravel
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I think this place has been a staple on the west side for a million years. The food as always good but not to die for. The chips and salsa are the real McCoy if you can say that about a Mexican restaurant.

1  Thank Steve55331