“Great hangout, lottsa local color, great fish!”
Review of Tavern on Grand

Tavern on Grand
Ranked #30 of 918 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Joined friends from Minneapolis who insisted that this was the place in Minnesota for Walleye. In case you DONT know, Minnesotans are RABID, CRAZY, SICK for Walleye! Who knew?

Tavern on Grand is , simply, a Walleye restaurant.. yeah, they have other stuff, but the Walleye is the thing...We were told they go through 1100 pounds a week here. Single location.

Casual, full to capacity on a Saturday night... fun bar, lottsa neon and a log cabin interior, see pix, but the fish was inexpensive, the beers were cold, the service was immediate. What elswe is needed

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I went here at the suggestion of a local Minneapolis resident. It turns out that Walleye is the food of choice in Minneapolis. This is a no frills kind of place with a hardwood interior to simulate the feel of a log cabin. I ordered the Walleye Sampler (pan seared, fried, blackened) and absolutely loved it. The others dining with me who ordered walleye enjoyed their meal as well. only rated this a four out of five because I reserve fives for fine dining that meet my expectations. However, if you are looking for a good meal that is not touristy and is reasonably priced then this is an excellent place to go. Platters typically run between 15-20 dollars.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm crazy about walleye. Unfortunately, I fled my midwestern roots for California forty years ago but when I return to visit the family every year or two I always make it a point to have walleye at least once (in between visits to White Castle and Cracker Barrel). However, this time one of my favorite walleye places was no longer in business. My cousin suggested Tavern on Grand and I'm now sad that I spent the last forty years not knowing about it. Their reputation as the best place for walleye is absolutely deserved. If you're a fan of "sander "vitreus" this is a must-visit place. I recommend the Walleye Sampler (appetizer), the Cajun Walleye (the lunch special the day I was there but specials change daily) and the.walleye basket.

The only negative experience I had was the lefse (they spell it lefsa). I love plain lefse buttered with a little cinnamon sugar sprinkled on it but theirs comes covered with garlic creme sauce, smoked chicken, mushrooms and several kinds of cheese. How are you supposed to taste the lefse?!?

2  Thank ACnotliW
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Typically friendly, woodsy tavern in St. Paul on bustling Grand Avenue specializes in all things walleye. An occasional visitor, I haven't tried anything except the walleye wrap, because it's so incredibly delicious. Prompt, attentive service, fairly priced. Loo

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am not a big fish eater but since I moved to the Twin Cities with my wife a year ago I kept hearing about this fish they serve everywhere up here called the Walleye.

Apparently the Tavern on Grand is one of the best places in Minnesota to get walleye. The Tavern serves Walleye just about anyway you can and when we went last Friday night they were packed! I got the Walleye Bites Basket and the wife went the healthier route and got the Blackened Walleye and both were fantastic! The prices were good and service wasn't too bad either. Aside from having to seat yourself and wait a little bit for the service we would definitely recommend the Tavern on Grand!