“Just needs a little something more...”
Review of Barbary Fig - CLOSED

Barbary Fig
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Just needs a little something more...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really wanted to make this review a 'very good' - the food WAS good - I had the chicken gyros and it was delectable - the salad that came with it though was just lettuce with a spritz of some dressing - absolutely nothing else - if it came out of my own kitchen I'd at least toss something else, no matter how meager, on it. I don't know if there were seats inside - we were guided to the outside seating without any questiosn ask - I guess we could have asked but they seemed pretty firm about it - it was 95 degrees outside so I would have liked the option. The service was attentive and the meal was pleasant but it was just missing 'something'.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Travelpages33

Wagoner, OK
“Great Tasting Food”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

While strolling along Grand Avenue, my wife and I noticed the Barbary Fig and decided to eat there due to the Mediterranean cuisine. We wanted something a bit different for a late lunch. I had the Lamb and Bleu Cheese and she had the Combo. Both were very delicious and satisfying. The Lamb and Bleu Cheese was very flavorful and the seasoned potatoes were a nice compliment. The Combo with the mixture of flavors was very much enjoyed by my wife.

The restaurant is a 15 minute bus ride from downtown Saint Paul and is well worth the bus fare. An additional benefit are all the shops along Grand Avenue. Visiting the shops makes a nice before or after eating activitity. I'm going to recommend Barbary Fig to my co-workers when we are working on-site in St. Paul.

• Visited July 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Nice little place with decent food”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had a casual business dinner at Barbary Fig in May. We were seated upstairs in a modest dining room--nothing very fancy but clean and generally attractive. We ordered the Mediterranean plate, which came with an assortment of tasty items such as hummus, pita, grape leaves, and olives--$7.50. I had the chicken tagine, a Moroccan dish over couscous (sauteed chicken, leeks, tomato-ginger chutney; 11.95) I asked whether it came with the hot harissa paste--it didn't, but the waitress brought me some on the side. The service was good, the food was above average, and the ambiance was fine. Beer and wine are available, and in summer months you have have a beer and hummus and pita on their patio. Overall a good experience.

• Visited May 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Barbary Fig for Lunch”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I tend to eat here quite often, it is a place I've never eaten at, but always picked up and eaten at work, but the Chicken Sauteed Gyro keeps me coming back. Perhaps the best part is the small restaurant feel, but PLEASE NOTE that the owner is normally closed in FEBRUARY and MARCH each year! He is probably my main reason for coming back, that charming owner from Algeria and France who is ALWAYS there. Support a small place with a lot of charm on the wonderful Grand Avenue.

• Visited December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Casual, unassuming ... and very special!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

In one of many houses on Grand Avenue that have been converted to commercial use, this upstairs restaurant offers food of Algeria and surrounding areas. Lots of chicken and lamb and even rabbit on the menu, as well as vegetarian choices. Whatever you are having start out with the house soup. And save room for dessert!

Visited April 2012