“Authentic”

Cheng Heng Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 902 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Authentic cambodian restorant. The food tastes great and the value is very good. The place doesn't look great but the people are very welcoming and you get a great food experience.

1  Thank Maxinthecity
There are newer reviews for Cheng Heng Restaurant

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We've been going here for years! It's a small place on University Avenue, and maybe the only Cambodian restaurant along there. I almost always order the chicken curry with rice because it is so delicious - served almost like soup with large pieces of carrots and potatoes, with a side of rice. My kids love the Minnesota-style cream cheese wontons and my adventurous husband always tries something new and loves everything. You'll find local business people and politicians at lunch time; Hmong families and "dates" in the evening. It's been given great write-ups by a number of local media. And the family that owns it are really sweet and welcoming. They never got upset about my son throwing rice around in the ten years we've been going there. :-)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We live here in the Saint Paul area and go to this restaurant nearly once a week. Having tried many dishes on the menu, most are very, very good. You can be adventurous or stick to the ones that have been written up in the local newspaper (they are marked) if you are not familiar with Cambodian food or here for the first time. Our favorites are the Plear Salad and #52, one with sweet basil. The salad is fresh and tangy with lime juice and mint. The sweet basil dish has a delightfully smokey flavor. There are many soups on the menu, most that we have never seen on Asian menus before. The variety of dishes is excellent, including various beverages like bubbletea, Cambodian iced coffee and red tea.
The place is neat and clean (and part of it newly remodeled) but not exactly a place with great romantic ambiance. The family run place sometimes has the kids entertaining themselves or eating at one table (well behaved) and the staff is warm and welcoming.
Good casual atmosphere, for couples, groups or family at bargain prices.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been visiting this restaurant for 14 years and continue to be excited with the food every time I visit. The decor is casual and the food is superb. My friend and I had an outstanding lunch today for $14 and I wanted to lick the plate. The Plear and the fish curry are my favorites.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Cheng Heng serves traditional Cambodian dishes that are really authentic. I have people from all over the world come to the Twin Cities on extended business trips and Cheng Heng consistently rates in the top 5 of all restaurants that they visit. We always give out guests a long list of restaurants across the Twin Cities so they have lots of good options.

My personal favorites are the Cambodian curry soups, Tom Yum (#44 & 50A), eggplant curry soup, spring rolls, Cambodian sweet tea and a few other dishes with silver thread noodles. The soup portions are very large and hot so be careful. I usually eat half and take the other half home for a late snack! (....my mouth is watering as I write this review...)

Our favorite is to bring a group of friends who like to share so everyone can find the dishes they like best! I sometimes call ahead and pick up for the family. Not kidding - pick up from Cheng Heng works better than flowers if I've gotten in trouble with my wife!

Don't get dressed up, it is a laid back atmosphere and very authentic. It is a nice change from the typical American cookie cutter restaurant.