“Uncooked fish and below par customer service - you can skip this place.”
Review of La Grolla

La Grolla
Ranked #43 of 888 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis
“Uncooked fish and below par customer service - you can skip this place.”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I am amazed that folks like this restaurant! Our dinner was way below par.

The biggest problem was that the sea bass (a special, not on the regular menu) arrived half raw. I couldn't cut through it with a knife. They did try to make it right and the chef by way of apology sent out this crazy appetizer that had a scallop encased in a big ball of fried spaghetti. Weird! The single scallop tasted fine (once I found it inside the mass of massacred pasta). When the sea bass came back, the edges were cooked, but the middle was still sort of rubbery. Inedible.

The waitress brought out a slice of tiramisu, by way of apology. It was okay, not especially wonderful, and by choice I wouldn't have ordered dessert anyway.

A quick note about the caesar salad -- not very special, just some chopped romaine with homemade croutons (the only high spot), powdered parmesan (really?) and rather ordinary dressing. For $7.50 -- and we had to ask twice for an extra plate so we could share.

When the bill came, I guess they figured that bringing out extra food (that we didn't really want) made up for ruining a $23 piece of fish. That's right -- we had to pay $23 for inedible fish.

1 Thank halfcafqueen

Minneapolis
“Mediocre, overpriced food, disorganized staff, rude owner”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have never been so disappointed by a restaurants ability to properly address and respond to a dining issue - an issue that was created by problems in the restaurant. On the evening of June 5, 2009, a group of five of us dined at La Grolla for a birthday celebration. Although the food was acceptable, when it came time to pay the bill, the waiter mischarged one of the diner’s bank cards, adding in a hefty tip for herself. When the issue was addressed with the waiter, she supposedly corrected the problem. Of course, when reviewing bank charges the following week, the incorrect charge had been processed, a difference of about $25. When the diner called the restaurant to resolve the mischarges to their account, the owner did not take the time to listen to the caller, became upset, and yelled at the caller, calling the diner a “[--].” The owner was not being provoked in any way, as the diner simply wanted to resolve the mischarge to their account. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable. The owner hung up on the diner and the issue is still unresolved. There are at least five people in the Twin Cities that will never return to La Grolla and these five will share the story with others. It will be a wonder if this restaurant remains in business when the owner is projecting his unhappiness on to what could have been repeat diners. I do not recommend dining here under any circumstances

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good food, terrible service”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

good food, terrible service

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Minneapolis, MN
“The rudest hostess in the world - waited 1 hour with a reservation”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This past weekend I encountered the rudest hostess in the world, or at least in all my travels thought the world - at La Grolla in St. Paul. After waiting ONE HOUR beyond our reservation time the hostess wanted to seat us at a table in the bar, which was jammed pack with angry customers like us - still waiting for a table - from 45 minutes to an hour+ beyond their reservation time. After I told the hostess, who had the presonality of a non-functioning door knob, that after waiting an hour beyond our reservation time a table in a loud, jammed pack bar was not acceptable, she explained that I had three choices. I could: 1) take the table at the bar 2) continue to wait 3) leave. All of these choices explained with a very curt and condessending demeanor. Not only was I offended, but she had the same sparkling personality with other customers as well - some who did decide to leave. I won' t be back and suggest you avoid such horrible, rude treatment and enjoy any of the other Italian restaurants in the Twin Cities.

2 Thank MNtravelman
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“great food and atmosphere, nice and attentive staff”
Reviewed January 24, 2009

great food and atmosphere, nice and attentive staff