“You won't leave hungry but...”
Review of La Grolla

La Grolla
Ranked #37 of 889 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Minneapolis
“You won't leave hungry but...”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The food here is mediocre. We went after hearing good things from multiple people. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. Portion size is giant...which, to me, is always a bad sign. Admittedly, my husband and I are foodies but we certainly aren't snobs. While my dish was decent, I can't say I was impressed. My husband chose one of the specials and while good, the portion size was more impressive than the flavor. Specials were not described with prices either so when the bill came, we were a bit surprised. Be sure to ask for prices! Sit on the patio if you can, it's the best thing about the restaurant. It was too hot for the patio so we were seated in a high traffic area that leads to the patio. We requested to be moved, which was better. Overall, pretty disappointing. Nothing worthy of complaining to the management about but mostly just a let-down for us as we don't go out that often.

• Visited September 2013

“Chance dining experience - will probably be back!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I were attending a weekend evening concert at the Minnesota State Fair and decided to enjoy dinner at a St. Paul restaurant before heading to the fairgrounds. Based on reviews, I wanted to try the Happy Gnome, but since we decided on it just a few hours before, there were no table reservations available. We intended to try bar seating, but it was evident from the parking lot and surrounding streets that there would be nothing available. We drove around a few blocks and saw that La Grolla had plenty of parking spaces in a shared parking lot and we both like Italian food. We were seated promptly by a friendly hostess at a window front table in the bar area, which was still not loud. Nicole, our server, had a looooong list of specials (both appetizers and entrees) and she was very helpful in answering our questions. We had the gorgonzola fondue asparagus appetizer and found it amazing. My husband ordered the sea bass special and I ordered the Cappelletti ai Quattro formaggio with added smoked salmon because I wanted more gorgonzola. Both entrees were delicious and well-presented. We were very happy to have a chance dining experience at La Grolla and the next time we are in the neighborhood looking for Italian, we will drop by.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank ChampCamp
Central Wisconsin
“Excellent Italian food, nice atmosphere, interesting menu”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I ate one dinner here with a large group on a beautiful evening in August, so we were outside. All the food was excellent. The menu is varied with a lot of interesting choices, but not so large that the quality would be diluted. My salad (Isabella) was really tasty, with quality and nicely balanced ingredients. The chicken scallopine was excellent, and the portion size was large; the vegetable accompaniments were like a miniature buffet, with a sampler each of an array of vegetables. House iced tea was likewise excellent. Everyone I was with liked the food, and I know others who have eaten here (knowledgeable foodies) who think highly of the restaurant.

The atmosphere is pleasant. We ate outdoors, in a pleasant patio secluded from the street in a vaguely Italian village plaza style. Service was very good, despite the large group (over 20 workshop attendees), in both speed and attitude. Prices are not low (main courses $10-$23) but reasonable for the high quality of food, varied menu, and attractive presentation, in an urban area.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SocEric
United States
“Very good Italian food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The food here was good! We had salad and I ordered lasagna. My noodles were overcooked, but they were good. Guess I would try something else next time. I loved the outdoor patio. I would go there again for sure. The service was excellent!

• Visited July 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Excellent food, attentive service, intimate atmosphere”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Reliably excellent food in a comfortable setting where you can easily carry on a conversation as a couple or with a few friends... that's why we return to La Grolla. We often go for a Saturday lunch, and we always enjoy ourselves because of the friendly and prompt wait staff and the lively-but-not-noisy atmosphere. Visually the interior is lovely, as well, designed to suggest an old Italian village. The menu offers great variety and ranges from straightforward to very inventive dishes. We always order more than we plan to eat, and the rest comes home for dinner. We never feel overcharged or under-appreciated.

• Visited April 2013