“Take your loved one to the Saint Paul Grill”
Review of The St. Paul Grill

The St. Paul Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The St. Paul Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 928 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 5th St.
Description: Recognized annually as the best restaurant in Minneapolis and St. Paul, The St. Paul Grill is On Everyone's List! Business or romance, lunch or dinner, casual or upscale. This downtown icon features a classic, yet surprisingly diverse dining menu ranging from prime steaks and thick-cut chops to succulent poultry and fresh seafood. The Grill's classic and impressive mahogany and brass bar is filled with the Twin Cities' finest selection of rare spirits and wines, and is host to the premiere scotch club in Minnesota. From the incredible food and the impeccable service to the gorgeous view of Rice Park, The St. Paul Grill is a destination restaurant with a reputation that spans generations. It's the kind of place that has a very loyal following and makes new regulars all the time.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

EXperience an excellent setting, very good service and very good food at this renowned restaurant in the heart of St Paul. History sits in the walls and creates a spendid atmosphere for å special night out.

MorrisseyHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Paul Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for visiting The St. Paul Grill and for your review. There have been and will be many memories created at The Grill. We hope you will return again soon for the good service and good food in a splendid atmosphere.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We have come here twice in the last 4 years for graduations with 9 people. They have accommodated us with nice seating arrangements, especially with two sets of grandparents. This time we visited, we noticed the prices has significantly increased from the last time 2 years ago. Our appetizers took too long to get there. The waitress and wait staff were all very kind and helpful with ordering drinks and food. The three course meal is definitely a steal here, if you go on the right special day. Although the food and drinks are outrageously overpriced ($700 for 9 people) it is a decent dining experience. The steak I got was charred so deep it was not worth what I paid for. Some of the portions are way too big, and do NOT taste good when you bring them home for the next day, even when left in a fridge overnight. As I said, the bill was outrageous, and the whole place is way too loud. Even with only 10 tables occupied and few at the bar, there was way too much noise. The highlight of our meal was sadly the group yoga in the park across the street. The windows do give a nice look, if you are seated in a position to see them. I will go back, but very unwillingly because of the price and quality of food. I hope to hear back from a manager about my issues.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Unless you don't mind eating in a place that is so noisy, it's hard to hear a person 2 feet away from you, I'd avoid the St Paul Grill until it completes renovations that the management tells me will be completed in mid July.

The food is very good to excellent, though expensive (filet $30+, Scallops the same). It's a pleasant looking room that overlooks gardens. You are welcomed by beautiful flowers.

However, we talked with both the wait person and the manager about the noise. Both agree that this is a constant complaint because of badly planned acoustics and people in the bar who often are loud.

The manager told us that because it is such a persistent and frequently cited problem, the restaurant is closing right after July 4 for renovations.

There are other good places in St. Paul and the Twin Cities to spend $30-50/person (or more).

This is a lovely hotel and lovely dining room. Congrats to the management for recognizing there is a problem. Please them a chance to fix it.

1  Thank Seniordad
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We made reservations for lunch for 38 at the St. Paul Grill. From the host staff to servers and cooks, I can find absolutely no fault in the restaurant.

We had reservations for noon and were greeted and seated without any problems. We were given 6 round tables in an alcove that overlooked the gardens and Rice Park.

The servers took our orders and the food arrived in a timely manner without a single mistake.

Thank you to everyone involved in making our luncheon group enjoy a memorable day!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Short review: Do NOT attend this restaurant if you have a group containing more than 12 people, unless you don’t care whether you’re seated together.

Long review: I was incredibly disappointed with our experience at the St. Paul Grill last night. We went there to celebrate my in-laws’ 50th wedding anniversary. I’d made reservations in mid-April for 16 people, which they said would be no problem to accommodate in the main dining room. They also called the day before our dinner to confirm the reservations, which was great since I’d been planning to do that anyway.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were brought to two adjacent tables, each with eight chairs. I was completely taken off guard, since these arrangements were never mentioned either time I spoke with them on the phone. It never occurred to me that I had to specify our party wanted to be seated all together at ONE table.

I went back up to the host stand to express my displeasure, and one of the girls apologized in what seemed to be a sincere tone, but then the other one suggested it was our fault when she said we’d originally booked the table for 12 people and later increased the count. This was never the case (it was 16 from the beginning), and I told her so before returning to my table. They said they were sorry, but there was nothing else they could do about it.

We decided to try making the best of things and pressed forward with our dinner. One of our tables ordered appetizers, and we shared them with our other table. But because they hadn’t ordered anything themselves, their server took the dinner orders right away while ours waited until the apps were almost gone. Due to the difference in timing, one of the tables ended up being completely finished with their meals for quite a while before the dinners even arrived at the other table.

That’s when my husband went to complain directly to the manager, who said he could understand why we were upset and would “take care of us.” He sent the two servers over to speak with us, and I told them that we were not unhappy with them but rather how the manager had handled things so far. (Both of the servers did a nice job, especially the more experienced one.)

Shortly after our second table was served dinner, the manager stopped by our table and asked if “everything was okay.” My mother-in-law’s filet was undercooked, and my husband’s lobster was covered with tomalley (which I understand is a delicacy to some, but it looked very unappealing to us, as both halves and even the tail were bathed in the greenish black substance). But we didn’t say anything because we already felt rushed to finish our meals so that both tables could then order dessert.

Afterward, on his way out, my husband walked past the manager, who asked if “things turned out okay.” My husband indicated that he wasn’t sure how we’d been “taken care of,” and the manager seemed surprised that our desserts had not been comped. He ended up removing a dessert and an appetizer from one of our bills (the others had already been paid), and giving us $80 in gift cards toward a future visit. As we were taking a few family photos in the lobby, he came over to offer a round of drinks as well. By that time, everyone was ready to leave and we thanked him but declined. For me, at least, it was a case of “too little, too late.”

Our family members are wonderful, and everyone put on a happy face despite the less-than-ideal circumstances. But since I’d made the reservations, I felt responsible for our ruined evening. My in-laws just wanted to enjoy seeing their children and grandchildren around the table at a nice dinner, and it didn’t turn out that way at all. Hopefully they will use the gift cards later this year. As for me and my husband, we will NEVER return to this establishment again.

1  Thank JackieSLW
MorrisseyHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Paul Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for visiting The St. Paul Grill. Please accept our apologies for your experience and we appreciate you informing the manager on duty of what was happening while you were present. We understand your disappointment as we host numerous special events each day and failing to have your experience live up to the expectations is our failure. Although the manager's efforts to rectify the situation did not fix the situation, we appreciate you being receptive to them. Thank you again for visiting. We apologize for the mistakes and can assure you we worked and will continue to work on preventing them in the future.