“I shall return to the St Paul Grill!”
Review of The St. Paul Grill

The St. Paul Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The St. Paul Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 892 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 5th St.
Description: Recognized annually as the best restaurant in Minneapolis and St. Paul, The St. Paul Grill is On Everyone's List! Business or romance, lunch or dinner, casual or upscale. This downtown icon features a classic, yet surprisingly diverse dining menu ranging from prime steaks and thick-cut chops to succulent poultry and fresh seafood. The Grill's classic and impressive mahogany and brass bar is filled with the Twin Cities' finest selection of rare spirits and wines, and is host to the premiere scotch club in Minnesota. From the incredible food and the impeccable service to the gorgeous view of Rice Park, The St. Paul Grill is a destination restaurant with a reputation that spans generations. It's the kind of place that has a very loyal following and makes new regulars all the time.
Mankato, Minnesota
“I shall return to the St Paul Grill!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to dinner at the St. Paul Grill following a weekend performance at the Orpheum. It was a first time experience for everyone in our party. My expectations were high, as I knew of the SP Grill’s highly regarded reputation. I estimate the restaurant was three quarters full. We did not have reservations, and opted for the first available table. We were quickly seated, not ideally, next to the waitress kitchen station, so there was a lot of staff traffic and work activity next to us. Everything looked clean and well maintained. Our server promptly provided menus and took our drink order. She returned a short time later with our drinks, knowledgably answered our questions about the menu, and took our order without incidences. I recognize the server was very good at menu knowledge, prompt service and organization, very professional, not annoying, but a genial disposition was not obvious in our interactions.
I had read in CityPages that the SP Grill was one of the best places in the city to get a martini – which meant, I had to have one. As I was at a table, in the dining area, interacting with a server, and not the mixologist, the martini I received was not what I would rate as one of the best martinis that I have had – but it was okay.
We shared the Crab and Artichoke Bake appetizer – it was absolutely wonderful.
I had the Ribeye steak with a side of sautéed button mushrooms. The steak was perfectly grilled as ordered and tasty. I was disappointed with the mushrooms – they were not button-sized, rather larger than golf balls, and were the cheap grocery store champignon variety. I would have thought, for the price and the Grill’s reputation, they would have used a better mushroom.
Everyone in our party’s assessment of their entrees ranged from “good” to “the best I have ever had”. The finishing cup of coffee was good quality, and quickly offered and served.
As we were leaving, I had a chance to glance at their bar, which was stately and impressive. It left me with the thought, no doubt, if I had gone to the bar, and spoken to the tender, I would have found one of the best martinis in the Cities. I shall return.

• Visited April 2013
MorrisseyHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Paul Grill, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for visiting The St. Paul Grill and for your review of your experience. Our staff is trained, then trained, and trained again, which is easy to do when you have a great team. We appreciate your recognizing their knowledge and experience. We work diligently to provide extraordinary experiences from the food, beverage, service and atmosphere. We hope you will return soon and we look forward to it.

• Czech first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“ALWAYS a great choice”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Food, service, ambiance are all wonderful. St. Paul Grille is great for a special night for two or for a bite before a show in St. Paul.

• Visited December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Expensive But Oh So Good!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have visited this Landmark many times and it is nothing short of fantastic. Bring your wallet because the prices are high. Well worth it and the service is awesome. Don't wait for a special occasion. Reservations are a must.

Bar side food is great as well but space is very limited. Try the vallet parking, too!

• Visited April 2013
MorrisseyHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Paul Grill, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for visiting The St. Paul Grill and for your feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit, the food, the service and the experience. We hope you will return soon!
Afton, Minnesota
“Lovely ambiance, food and value ok”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great bar and wonderful dining area. Service is exceptional, very attentive and professional. The location of the grill and hotel is a wonderful part of St. Paul, the Orpheum, Rice Park, Excel all within walking distance. The food is good, not great. The menu is rather dated I felt a little traditional. The cost is outrageous for the quality of food. Now factor in the atmosphere and service and you are spending for that for sure, but you can get much better meals for a lot cheaper.

• Visited December 2012
MorrisseyHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Paul Grill, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for visiting The St. Paul Grill and for providing feedback. We are sorry you felt the value did not match. The menu is updated seasonally although it always highlights Grill favorites and popular items.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great restaurant in Downtown St Paul”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a great spot for stopping in to enjoy a cocktail in the impressive stocked bar from floor to ceiling. Also a top notch place for enjoying a full meal. Steve the restaurant dining room manager is a wonderful host making sure you are well taken care of.