“Yumazing...”

Downtowner Woodfire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtowner Woodfire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 907 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut/ Walnut
Transit: Bus stop at the corner of our block.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I found this place on my own trying to find a nice place for my birthday dinner with my boyfriend...

Downsides: Was not as lively as I'd wished (but it was Sunday night after the Vikings loss to the Browns, so no points lost there). I wish I'd known that the kitchen was going to lock up all the baked desserts beforehand so I could get the dessert I really wanted. Our reservation was noted that it was my birthday, but restaurant did nothing special and no one said Happy Birthday until our server carded me for the wine.

Upsides!: Food was delicious! My boyfriend and I love going out to try new places and if they have steak, even better! The food was prepared and presented wonderfully, and cooked full of flavor. We will definitely come back to St. Paul just for Downtowner. Very romantic ambiance, which is exactly what anyone wants for their special dinner. Good friendly service. Great location to river for a nice quiet after dinner walk.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Noticed that Trip Advisor gave this place an award. It's deserved. A variety of food is available here, very well prepared, with very friendly service and moderate prices. We have had a wide variety of food here...most recently the pepperoni pizza and the chicken/mushroom/mozarella pizza (which I think is one of the best pizzas available anywhere in the US).

The kebabs also are great, as are salads and the "persian woodfire grill" items. The restaurant is very pretty in a quiet, low key Minnesota manner. It's really nice to see places like this have lots of customers. They do. Reservations not always required but recommended.

1  Thank Seniordad
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were going to Michael Buble and went to the Downtowner for dinner first. Parked in their lot for $15 which was great until they told us we would get $15 credit on our bill...that made it perfect. Great meal and service even though it was packed pre-event. Easy walk to Xcel, easy out after event. Took a right and went up to grand and onto 94. We will never go anyplace else before an event in St Paul.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

All of the kebab choices are fantastic; chicken kebab is especially delicious. The menu also offers a good variety of sandwiches and salads. Restaurant has comfortable atmosphere with a casual, upscale ambiance. Entrees and desserts are well prepared and nicely presented. Always a great choice when in St. Paul.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Whenever my wife and I decide we should treat ourselves to a breakfast or dinner out, the Downtowner is our first choice. The restaurant is located in a perfect spot that is close to all the St Paul spots that we always take our friends to when they visit from out of town. There are two parking lots that are exclusively for this restaurant and his other hamburger spot across the street. The owner is on location nearly everyday and greets all the guests personally. The servers are exceptional. You would almost think they were part owners the way they try to do everything to please you. The atmosphere is a haven from the busy city streets. It is quiet and unrushed. I think my blood pressure drops 10 points after I walk throught the door. Our favorite meal to eat there is breakfast. Their pancakes and omelettes are superb. Many places have great food but they combine it with outstanding coffee. Their booths are very spacious and the natural lighting adds to the experience. The meal prices are on par with a chain restaurant that has none of the amenities that we enjoy at the Downtowner. We introduced my in-laws to the place about a year ago and they loved it as well. There are rarely any people with small children in the dining room which undoubtedly adds to the peaceful atmosphere.

1  Thank SailorSteve45