“A great place for a business lunch in St. Paul”

Downtowner Woodfire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtowner Woodfire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 908 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut/ Walnut
Transit: Bus stop at the corner of our block.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Beautiful interior, large menu, wonderful shrimp, soup, salads and rice that is out of this world.
Bloody Mary's are also yummy.
This is a good place for business meals, or a nice night out for dinner.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

After searching several restaurants in St. Paul, I am so glad I chose The Downtowner for my special event. We were a party of 28 for my Son's wedding rehearsal dinner party on Friday June 14. Thanks to Moe, Robert and Dan for their continued communication and follow through with all of my expectations to create my vision for this special evening! It was all done through personal phone calls and emails as I live in Ca.
We enjoyed the privacy and comfort of your private dining room. The selected menu printed for us and presented at each place
setting was a very special touch. Our servers Steve and Carrie were so attentive to my guests every needs. They did a great job!
Our selections were Steak, Salmon, Pork tenderloin K-bobs and Buffalo Shrimp K-bobs. We started with an asst. of wood fired pizzas. They were all delicious. The favorite hands down was the Downtowner Sirloin Steak. Amazingly tender and cooked to perfection. I enjoyed the Salmon. It was cooked to my preference of medium rare. All meals arrived hot off the grill. Not an easy task for the kitchen. Kudos to the chefs.
I brought a special cake for dessert and it was sliced and served for a small service charge. Thanks again Steve for boxing up the extra slices.
It was a fun evening and I know all my guests enjoyed the awesome meal, service and overall dining experience. Thanks so much!
With so many places to dine,Don't miss out on The Downtowner the next time you are in St. Paul.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our group of three met up at noon on a Sunday, for an early Father's Day brunch. Since breakfast is served until 2p, breakfast was our only option. Our three meals were: traditional eggs benedict (tasty, but would've preferred thick ham instead of a stack of thin layers), Moe's Cajun breakfast (delicious and spicy) and french toast (thick slices, not sure what it was coated in, but yummy). The only beverages we had were coffee and water. Our bill came to nearly $50, but what made it worth that price was our server. I didn't catch her name, but it was obvious she's been in the field for awhile. She'd noticed that we came in with a gift bag, so without asking, brought us a raspberry/white chocolate brownie with ice cream and berries on the side at the end of our meal. It's rare to find that kind of service. We felt special and will recommend The Downtowner-stop in to visit Moe!!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Had one of the finest meals; salmon outstanding as we're the linguini and clams. The waitress was very friendly and prompt. The manager came by twice to see how our meal was. Seating was good and was not noisy even though the place was full.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

My sister and I wanted to take our Mom out to dinner for her 74th birthday. Mom chose the Downtowner because she hears John Hines from 'CCO radio "rave" about this place. I check out their website.. looks good.. no mention of reservations recommended or required. It's a Saturday night, early.. 5:30. We walk in wearing our "day of shopping" attire. Nice jeans and appropriate footwear. I lead us into the establishment, no one was before us at the "host" station. The gentleman/host took one look at us and then looked down at whatever again. I stand there, waiting to be simply acknowledged. Finally he states, " How can I help you?" I'm thinking... seriously?... How can I help you? ... Not a "welcome to the Downtowner" ... "hello ladies"..
"good evening".. etc. "how can I help you?" Really? Well, jerk, why do you think we are here? I said "table for three please." His response was, "Do you have a reservation?" Before I even answer, I chuckled (mildly) as I eyed over the dining room. I answered, "no." Mind you, it's early. As he is looking down at the host table, he states, "reservations are required." After my slight pause, (bite my lip), I said, really? Your website doesn't
indicate that requirement. His response was, "Well, you should know that." Excuse Me? Are you for real? I'm looking at a 75% empty dining area, and realize this jerk is judging us... by our attire? or the fact that we didn't make a reservation?... Regardless, he states it will be a 45 to 60 minute wait. He states we could wait for a place at the bar. ( Mom can't sit on backless cheap bar stools,.she has a bad back.). Regardless, as I am telling the "host" (pathetic), our name to put on the waiting list, he ignores me and answers the phone and pursues that conversation in hopes I would go away. I stood there while he was on the phone, he never wrote our name on the waiting list. The host... the management / owners are so judgmental and / or prejudice ... it's astounding! My Mom could write a check for a minimum one million dollars on Saturday night. We were treated as scum and not worthy by what we were wearing and evidently not having a 5:30 reservation. I could care less if the food tastes great... the restaurant chooses to have their first impression to be biased. judgmental and rude. That rotten taste lasts forever... and will, by word of mouth, be spread to others.. as my Mom stated. We drove down the road to Mancini's and had a Terrific meal and experience!

3  Thank Christine B