“VG food, distinctive, fine service, reasonable prices”

Downtowner Woodfire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtowner Woodfire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 892 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut/ Walnut
Transit: Bus stop at the corner of our block.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“VG food, distinctive, fine service, reasonable prices”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

From great salads to personal pizzas to various kinds of kabbabs, this is a distinctive place that is a great representative of St. Paul. You will see a vast array of customers - from families to seniors to bikers to Millenialls "making the scene. On a recent visit we had onion rings (VG)) and artichoke cheesy appetizer (ok), vg cesar salad, excellent blt sandwich wonderful chicken/mushroom/cheese pizza, spinach salad and beef kabab. Deserts terrific wine very nice. Food is very tasty. service is friendly and prompt. Free parking lot across the street. Strongly recommended

• Visited October 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fast Service”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Liked: generous wine pours + good food that was quickly served (and made to order since I had a food allergy) + waitstaff was really nice + big screen TVs at the bar.

Visited September 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“The only place in town that has never disappointed me . Consistent excellence , service, food, value over 10 year.”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Best happy hour around, excellent pizzas, apps, beer selection and martinis. I love the atmosphere and the pro staff. The warm flatbread salutes the butter, both given freely. I think I like the reliability and knowing there is one place , although 12 miles away, that will make me smile. Hats off to a great place. Park free across the street.

Edina, Minnesota
“Twice Visted Is Last Visit!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The only thing that saved the day/evening was the wait staff. Nice server and a bartender who brought my beer to the table becasue the server was busy. This, our second visit to Downtowner will most likly be the last. The front desk seating by one of the owners I believe was interesting. This person, a male, was devoid of all personality and did nothing to make us feel welcome. Gave a flip answer when asked a simple question and led us to a table like a robot. This also happened with another daytime person, a male at the desk the first time were were there and that time the female bartender was so rude while we tried to order a drink while waiting for a table that we left in disgust.This place is large, very pleasant and warm looking with major fireplace in the middle of a well-appointed room. It should be the perfect place for a lovely meal, but such is not the case. We ordered the walleye, it came soaked in fry batter and oil. The fish was good if you took away all the oily breading. Horseradish mashed potatoes were recommended, so I ordered them. AWFUL! Potatoes could have been fine alone although needed a little more butter. The horseradish tasted as though it had just been grated raw and mixed into the mash. Tasted so bitter I could hardly eat it. Our server was apologetic so we appreciated that. Little else to add to this review, needless to say not worth the trip to try a third time.

• Visited June 2012
Santa Clara, California
“Great Place for a Winter Meal”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I always enjoy this restaurant and the food is better than average. I had the 'flat bread' pizza the other night though and it is NOT flat - was more like a regular pizza crust, which I am not a big fan of. But, the others in the party enjoyed their meals and the steak and hamburgers were a particular hit.

The interior of the restaurant is perfect for the winter with a big hearth and warm interior colors. But, in the summer, I would opt for a restaurant with outdoor seating or lighter interior.

• Visited June 2012